• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Got it started, but only at full throttle

Deluge

Guantanamo Joe said:
I am sure my wallet will be catching all my drool for me... ha ha ha Thanks, I will look into it...
You could get a long block kit. Just use the exterior parts from your engine to complete it. Going this way is generally cheaper. OBR has long block kits on their site.

Guantanamo Joe

So tonight I am swapping the engines between my MT and Xt... so that I can actually drive my MT. I figured while I had her all broken down, I might as well swap my gas tank around to the other side because my dominator is coming in soon.

Go to take the rear diff loose so that I can pull the dogbone from the middle of the gas tank, and 2 of the screws in my rear diff are stripped. Not because I stripped them, but because they were stripped when they came to me. WFT??? Is my dream of having an MT just too far? I sold my diving gear to get this thing.

I cant drill out these screws like I did the ones on the gear plate- I don't have replacement screws and it will just ruin the rear diff...

Suggestions? I have a torx set now and those aren't fitting it at all.

G

For the torx you need to find one close to fitting (a bit large) and tap it in the screw head.

Sounds like your truck was assembled by a superhero (doesn't know his own strength).

I'm sorry to hear of your hardware issues. I know it doesn't do you any good at the moment, but I would recomend to everyone who likes to wrench on their platforms buy a stainless screw kit. We all have to through away worn screws from time to time. RC Screwz makes some nice kits.

Guantanamo Joe

Well then you, sir have helped me to figure out what I am buying next...

Since I had the engine off, I took the other end of that dogbone apart- where the brakes are... The good news is that after this engine replacement, there is not a single piece of this platform that I don't understand... I now have taken it all off and put it back on- and know where all the pieces go...

This would all just be a fun learning experience if I had more time to play with it, but I hate not being able to have everything running at the end of the day- I cant stand loose parts laying around.

And yes, if I ever meet the little Chineese man with large arms who wrenched in the rear diff, he and I will have a little chat... ha ha ha

Guantanamo Joe

So gentlemen, help me with this- I now have a gear plate with 2 screws embedded in it. one of them is the rear of the two screws by the brake... and the other is the one directly under that which holds it to the chasis... who thinks it's safe and fine to do light bashing without these 2 screws until I can buy ANOTHER plate and belt drive set?

G

You didn't here it from me, but I'd run it. :)

Just keep an eye on it and make sure it's holding.

alfred e numan

not shure. I have lost the two bolts on the oppsite side of the engine, the gearplate was the only thing keeping the motor in place- the gear plate is the stocker i might add-- This was running wot repeatly across scoccer fields. It pounded the daylights outta the chassis- I am quite certan this pounding caused the throttle servo wires- where they attach to the servos p-c board to break- this was an e-x fix- If you are going to replace the gearplate anyways-- and have an open hole- why not just run a sheet metal screw in-- yea, it will wreck the plate-- its your call--just a passing thought.

Guantanamo Joe

Thanks for the advice on that...

Now, I am not even going to lie to you and tell you I know much about engines... so- I have now taken my carb and exhaust off this practically new engine and I am looking at it to see what I can find out... I turn it a few times and find that there are metal shavings inside the engine, under the piston- from where the plastic manifold was drilled in... the area from around the screw has flaked off and you can see piston damage (scratches) and metal shavings...

Have I found my possible issue??? If so, is this a warranty issue that I can put in for?

alfred e numan

I had the same issue with the long diff screws- bought the xb from rob- talked it over on the phone- he sent a handfull of replacements- free.a class act indeed.- thanks.- He suggested to use a dremel to grind a slot across the heads- use a good fitting flat blade to remove- These are very hard metal- at your location- you may try to use a sharp hacksaw blade- if the diff is not required to take apart, i wouldnot even bother.- It does help to lube the threads on certan bolts that go into the plastic parts- gitmo is a high humidity area-- just like the old neil deimond album-- rust never sleeps.

G

Deluge said:
Just to make sure. Take the exhaust off and look into the exhaust port. If you see scoring on the side of the piston, you need a new cylinder and piston. If you don't see any scoring, your cylinder is fine.
Guantanamo Joe said:
Thanks for the advice on that...Now, I am not even going to lie to you and tell you I know much about engines... so- I have now taken my carb and exhaust off this practically new engine and I am looking at it to see what I can find out... I turn it a few times and find that there are metal shavings inside the engine, under the piston- from where the plastic manifold was drilled in... the area from around the screw has flaked off and you can see piston damage (scratches) and metal shavings...

Have I found my possible issue??? If so, is this a warranty issue that I can put in for?
I would take some pictures. Get them posted. We can tell you if it is damaged. If it is indeed a seize issue I would fill out the warranty form and include the photos to Redcat.

Guantanamo Joe

I tried to get some good pics, but even with my wifes camera (which cost as much as any two redcats) I could not get a good close up of shiny metal.

I am just not sure what to do- let me ask a question here though- I have a 990 coming and I am going to put it on that engine and see if that makes it run before I crack it open. Once I am to the point of cracking it open though, it doesn't make sense to rebuild it stock... what kits do yall suggest?

I am out of the market for a new engine- Tonight I have decided that this engine is my nemesis and I WILL CONQUER... This bastard will run and it will run good.

A word to everyone else- when I had the gear plate off, I ran the engine- some pretty high rpms... don't do that unless you take the clutch off... my 8,000 rpm clutch spring is now ready to engage at 2 rpm's (or maybe even less)... I could seriously turn this thing into a slinky now :(

G

A word to everyone else- when I had the gear plate off, I ran the engine- some pretty high rpms... don't do that unless you take the clutch off... my 8,000 rpm clutch spring is now ready to engage at 2 rpm's (or maybe even less)... I could seriously turn this thing into a slinky now
I've never tried that. desismileys_6970.gif

G

I am just not sure what to do- let me ask a question here though- I have a 990 coming and I am going to put it on that engine and see if that makes it run before I crack it open. Once I am to the point of cracking it open though, it doesn't make sense to rebuild it stock... what kits do yall suggest?
Many will tell you this is a great kit. Powerful and inexpensive. http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.4168/.f

Guantanamo Joe

Is that something that is straight up bolt on? Looks like you take the head off, remove the old piston, and replace it with the new head?

Sounds simple... so simple it just might work... ha ha ha

Guantanamo Joe

IT LIVES!!! After her heart transplant, the Old Army MT is ready to bash tomorrow...

However, now my poor XT is just sitting there- sad and lonely with the broke engine...

3 cats, 2 of them running- I guess 2 out of 3 aint that bad (for now).

G

Guantanamo Joe said:
Is that something that is straight up bolt on? Looks like you take the head off, remove the old piston, and replace it with the new head?Sounds simple... so simple it just might work... ha ha ha
It is a straight bolt on.

Deluge

Guantanamo Joe said:
So tonight I am swapping the engines between my MT and Xt... so that I can actually drive my MT. I figured while I had her all broken down, I might as well swap my gas tank around to the other side because my dominator is coming in soon.Go to take the rear diff loose so that I can pull the dogbone from the middle of the gas tank, and 2 of the screws in my rear diff are stripped. Not because I stripped them, but because they were stripped when they came to me. WFT??? Is my dream of having an MT just too far? I sold my diving gear to get this thing.

I cant drill out these screws like I did the ones on the gear plate- I don't have replacement screws and it will just ruin the rear diff...

Suggestions? I have a torx set now and those aren't fitting it at all.
The Torx has to be a bit over sized. Just tap it in and it should be good to go.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts