• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Got it started, but only at full throttle

Deluge

Guantanamo Joe said:
Thanks for the advice on that...Now, I am not even going to lie to you and tell you I know much about engines... so- I have now taken my carb and exhaust off this practically new engine and I am looking at it to see what I can find out... I turn it a few times and find that there are metal shavings inside the engine, under the piston- from where the plastic manifold was drilled in... the area from around the screw has flaked off and you can see piston damage (scratches) and metal shavings...

Have I found my possible issue??? If so, is this a warranty issue that I can put in for?
Pull the cylinder off and take some pics. Sounds like it might be a plating issue.

Deluge

Guantanamo Joe said:
I tried to get some good pics, but even with my wifes camera (which cost as much as any two redcats) I could not get a good close up of shiny metal.I am just not sure what to do- let me ask a question here though- I have a 990 coming and I am going to put it on that engine and see if that makes it run before I crack it open. Once I am to the point of cracking it open though, it doesn't make sense to rebuild it stock... what kits do yall suggest?

I am out of the market for a new engine- Tonight I have decided that this engine is my nemesis and I WILL CONQUER... This bastard will run and it will run good.

A word to everyone else- when I had the gear plate off, I ran the engine- some pretty high rpms... don't do that unless you take the clutch off... my 8,000 rpm clutch spring is now ready to engage at 2 rpm's (or maybe even less)... I could seriously turn this thing into a slinky now :(
If you see damage to the piston, the carb won't help. You need a new cylinder. Myself and a plenty of other people are happy with the ESP 30.5 Champ port kit. And yeah, it's never a good idea to rev the engine with no load on it.

Deluge

Guantanamo Joe said:
Is that something that is straight up bolt on? Looks like you take the head off, remove the old piston, and replace it with the new head?Sounds simple... so simple it just might work... ha ha ha
It's a direct fit. Order it without the crank, though. The stock engine has a +2mm crank. Also, if you see metal shavings, you need to do a complete rebuild. That means new crank bearings and crank seals. The engine needs to be completely torn apart and cleaned.

Stuff you'll need...

Team Fast Eddy Replacement RC/CY Engine Bearing Set

Oil Seal Set

Zenoah RC/CY Gasket Set - I'd buy a few of these. Just in case.

Guantanamo Joe

If I go with that kit, it will have to move to the dunerunner or the MT... Cant leave it in the XT in good conscience... ha ha ha... but within a year or so, they will all have something special :D

G

Guantanamo Joe said:
If I go with that kit, it will have to move to the dunerunner or the MT... Cant leave it in the XT in good conscience... ha ha ha... but within a year or so, they will all have something special :D
I don't doubt you there. We got to keep the speed gods happy. LOL. desismileys_0503.gif

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts