• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Recat rmpage MT break in, engine keeps stalling.

machinebike

Phill said:
Sounds like you could be too lean on the low speed needleTry backing it out a quarter turn
tried it already with more and with less, still the same outcome.

I guess it sounds like air is coming in from somewhere else since it started and idled normal breifly with the choke closed, but revved high with choke open.

Phill

machinebike said:
tried it already with more and with less, still the same outcome.I guess it sounds like air is coming in from somewhere else since it started and idled normal breifly with the choke closed, but revved high with choke open.
Yep sounds like air getting in somewhere.

Have you checked head bolts and gasket??

talunceford

machinebike said:
tried it already with more and with less, still the same outcome.I guess it sounds like air is coming in from somewhere else since it started and idled normal breifly with the choke closed, but revved high with choke open.
Also, make sure your fuel lines do not have any cracks or holes in them. Look for obvious leaks. Also, check the plug in the fuel tank. Just some suggestions.

machinebike

took engine out checked for cracks, don't see any.

Checked head bolts ...all tight.

Looked at gasket area, looked clean.

]The only out of the norm I see is the carb gaskets, they both have gas on them when I removed them.

Is it normal for gas to soak into the carb to engine gaskets?

Phill

Should be clean if they're sealed properly.

I use Teflon gaskets

Put it back together and if you can get it started spray WD40 around the gaskets and see if the revs pick up

machinebike

Well, Im officially giving up.

Got everything to together, along with new

one way air vent on tank and all I get is an occasional fire here and there for a split second.

In the beginning, I only drove about a half a tank break in before I floored it for 15 minutes then it went kapoot.

Maybe I damaged the engine not allowing it to break in long enough before going crazy with it.

I wonder what redcat would charge for mailing it to them and have them test it.

Or maybe its the carburator, heck, I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phill

machinebike said:
Well, Im officially giving up.Got everything to together, along with new

one way air vent on tank and all I get is an occasional fire here and there for a split second.

In the beginning, I only drove about a half a tank break in before I floored it for 15 minutes then it went kapoot.

Maybe I damaged the engine not allowing it to break in long enough before going crazy with it.

I wonder what redcat would charge for mailing it to them and have them test it.

Or maybe its the carburator, heck, I don't know.
You won't have damaged it.

It will be a simple fix just hard to find

These things can be frustrating.

Do you have a local small motor shop that could look at it for you?

Have you checked coil gap?

Do you still have spark?

Compression?

Fuel??

machinebike

Phill said:
You won't have damaged it.It will be a simple fix just hard to find

These things can be frustrating.

Do you have a local small motor shop that could look at it for you?

Have you checked coil gap?

Do you still have spark?

Compression?

Fuel??
Spark is strong and consistent.

compression feels strong when pulling cord.

Seems to be getting fuel when I check the plug, not sure though how much fuel is suppose to be on the plug.

machinebike

Checked both fuel lines going in tank.

The metal clunker is on the fuel line that is running into the bottom part of the carb.

Does that sound right?

Phill

machinebike said:
Spark is strong and consistent.compression feels strong when pulling cord.

Seems to be getting fuel when I check the plug, not sure though how much fuel is suppose to be on the plug.
If the plug is wet the next step would be the carby.

Ice_2k

To the more experienced guys: what could be wrong that would allow it to start with the choke off? That seems like a really strong clue to me.

Phill

Ice_2k said:
To the more experienced guys: what could be wrong that would allow it to start with the choke off? That seems like a really strong clue to me.
Obviously too rich on the LSN but I thought it would only run with the choke on which would mean too lean.

I reckon it's a dud carby.

It wouldn't be the first

designed2survive

machinebike said:
I'm in Maryland.
You are 6hrs away. A bit too far for my driving, sorry! But if you can't find some local help even at a hobby store, I can at least send you a good known carburetor of mine. Let me know.

designed2survive

Engine starting with choke on could be

- air leak

- LSN too lean

- bad carb

talunceford

designed2survive said:
Engine starting with choke on could be- air leak

- LSN too lean

- bad carb
Agreed...

Replace parts with known good parts..... Some times it is super hard to try and diagnose the issue exactly. Some times it is easier to just replace the serviceable parts with known good parts. If that doesn't fix your issue, then I'd say it is probably one of the major components in your engine. Without seeing it, I couldn't really, with any sort of certainty, properly diagnose your problem. Best thing is to list out the serviceable parts and mark them off as you test/replace them.

One other thing to kindof re-enforce what others have said. Just think of it this way. When you have your choke on, you are feeding the engine more fuel than air. So when you have your choke off in the flat, horizontal position, you have a more even F/A mixture, or at least you should. If your engine doesn't run when the choke is OFF, and runs with the choke ON or partially ON, you are presenting your engine with a lean condition (as in, not enough fuel, and too much air). Your low speed needle needs to be reset to the 1 1/4 turn or whatever the default needle settings are for your particular carb. Also, reset your high speed needle to the factory settings as well. Small adjustments (1/16 of a turn) make HUGE differences with these engines. Large turns are not beneficial.

From my experience, this is what has worked for me, and continues to work for me. Proper break in techniques, and patience when tuning the carb allows you to keep your engine running for a long time.

One last thing, what type of air filter do you use? Do you oil it? Have you cleaned it lately? Soap, water and let air dry.

Just some ideas to consider.

machinebike

talunceford said:
Agreed...Replace parts with known good parts..... Some times it is super hard to try and diagnose the issue exactly. Some times it is easier to just replace the serviceable parts with known good parts. If that doesn't fix your issue, then I'd say it is probably one of the major components in your engine. Without seeing it, I couldn't really, with any sort of certainty, properly diagnose your problem. Best thing is to list out the serviceable parts and mark them off as you test/replace them.

One other thing to kindof re-enforce what others have said. Just think of it this way. When you have your choke on, you are feeding the engine more fuel than air. So when you have your choke off in the flat, horizontal position, you have a more even F/A mixture, or at least you should. If your engine doesn't run when the choke is OFF, and runs with the choke ON or partially ON, you are presenting your engine with a lean condition (as in, not enough fuel, and too much air). Your low speed needle needs to be reset to the 1 1/4 turn or whatever the default needle settings are for your particular carb. Also, reset your high speed needle to the factory settings as well. Small adjustments (1/16 of a turn) make HUGE differences with these engines. Large turns are not beneficial.

From my experience, this is what has worked for me, and continues to work for me. Proper break in techniques, and patience when tuning the carb allows you to keep your engine running for a long time.

One last thing, what type of air filter do you use? Do you oil it? Have you cleaned it lately? Soap, water and let air dry.

Just some ideas to consider.
But something must have happened when it first did it.

It was running strong for about 15 minutes, then made a blog sound, then it went to high revving, then it quit.

I tired different needle settings after it quit.

I installed an air vent.

I took engine out, inspected for cracks, re-sealed the carb gaskets before installing, and all said and done, it had the same symptoms when i tried starting it again, it had high revving but normal revs with choke on.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts