• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Recat rmpage MT break in, engine keeps stalling.

machinebike

The first day, I rode it for 3 sets of 15 with cool down in between.

The second day, I slowly drove around in circles but when I let off the throttle, it keeps stalling and tough to get started.

I checked the plug and it was black and coated with gas.

What am I doing wrong?

Oil mix is between 24-28 to 1 using Yamalube

talunceford

One thing that the OBR guys suggest is just simply use your idle screw to keep the idle up until you get your break in session close to done. Left turn = lower idle speed, right turn = higher idle speed. Yes, I also agree it is a tuning issue. Plugs will go bad during your break in period. I have gone through 2 now. Have some spares on hand. Just food for thought. Another thing too, until your break in session is almost done, I wouldn't worry too much about running it leaner than factory settings. I highly advise that you don't run it lean as you can lock the motor up if your lean condition gets severe. You want to get your break in done in a rich environment. Once you are done with the break in, start tuning your needles. OBR has a great video on how to do this, I recommend watching it.

machinebike

Stayed running the first day with 3 for 15 minute run time

But the second day, doesn't want to stay at idle then it doesn't want to turn over at all.

Looked at plug twice, both times coated with gas and plug tip is black

Once I get it running again, how long should I drive it at half throttle before I can floor it?

Ice_2k

What are your needle settings? You might have a very rich setting. Have you tried increasing your idle? I noticed that the engine idles higher when cold and then goes down when it gets hot (it drops ~1000rpm on my car from cold start to 100 deg C). An idle that is only high enough when cold could cause the problem you're describing.

As for flooring it, keep doing the heat cycles and go through at least 3 full tanks.

Phill

I know you'll all disagree with me but my breakin procedure is start it and drive it like you stole it.

Works well for me.

Do you break in any other 2 strokes you own?

Ice_2k

If you were asking me, I don't own any other 2 stroke gassers, just the one :) I just followed the recommendations from OBR and it worked great for me, the engine's a beast (of course, no way to know how it would have been without any breakin). Plus, I never saw a single engine manufacturer recommending no breakin..

talunceford

machinebike said:
Stayed running the first day with 3 for 15 minute run timeBut the second day, doesn't want to stay at idle then it doesn't want to turn over at all.

Once I get it running again, how long should I drive it at half throttle before I can floor it?
Check your plug. Again, I'd refer back to the OBR break in video. As the only engine that I"ve done a break in on is my OBR g340rc, I don't know any other procedure. I recommend sticking to that procedure. It takes a while, but I think you will have, in the end, an engine that lasts. Again that is food for thought. It only takes a bit of time and a bit of fuel.

Phill

Ice_2k said:
If you were asking me, I don't own any other 2 stroke gassers, just the one :) I just followed the recommendations from OBR and it worked great for me, the engine's a beast (of course, no way to know how it would have been without any breakin). Plus, I never saw a single engine manufacturer recommending no breakin..
Did you ever see a weed whacker or outboard motor recommend breakin?

Each to their own but it works for me.

Not targeting anyone - just a general question.

Last edited by a moderator:

Phill

machinebike said:
Stayed running the first day with 3 for 15 minute run timeBut the second day, doesn't want to stay at idle then it doesn't want to turn over at all.

I'd try leaning it 1/16th of a turn each time.

talunceford

Phill said:
Did you ever see a weed whacker or outboard motor recommend breakin?Each to their own but it works for me.

http://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/blog/pro-anglers/new-boat-means-break-time-and-making-sure-everything-working-order

http://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/instructionmanuals/026_Manual.pdf

Check out page 35 on the Stihl manual....

Just about every engine manufacturer has a break in period. 4 stroke, 2 stroke etc. Even your vehicle, new from the factory has a break in period in the manual. Allows everything to seat properly. Just what I've read and learned from watching videos and whatnot.

Phill

talunceford said:
http://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-resources/blog/pro-anglers/new-boat-means-break-time-and-making-sure-everything-working-orderhttp://www.stihlusa.com/WebContent/CMSFileLibrary/instructionmanuals/026_Manual.pdf

Check out page 35 on the Stihl manual....

Just about every engine manufacturer has a break in period. 4 stroke, 2 stroke etc. Even your vehicle, new from the factory has a break in period in the manual. Allows everything to seat properly. Just what I've read and learned from watching videos and whatnot.
That comes as a surprise.

My 70 HP Yammy outboard never recommended it.

With todays ceramic piston rings etc. breakin isn't normally needed on cars.

I'm more afraid of creating a low speed wear mark on the bore that will break piston rings when you give it full throttle.

As I've said before it may not be for everyone but it works for me so I'll stick with it.

talunceford

This is the video I followed.

I've been super pleased with mine, I followed this video, and it seems to be running killer.

talunceford

Phill said:
That comes as a surprise.My 70 HP Yammy outboard never recommended it.

With todays ceramic piston rings etc. breakin isn't normally needed on cars.

I'm more afraid of creating a low speed wear mark on the bore that will break piston rings when you give it full throttle.

As I've said before it may not be for everyone but it works for me so I'll stick with it.
Agreed, everyone has their own way of doing it for sure. I just tend to not take a chance and follow my manufacturers directions is all. I own both an OBR and a Stihl. Both are killer machines. The biggest thing he probably needs is a reset on his carb to get it back to factory settings and a plug change. He might be a tad flooded too. 2 strokes are super bad about plug fouling. Everyone does is a bit different and we end up with the same result LOL! Anyway, take care and I hope the OP has success with his engine. These little power plants can be fickle... finiky little machines. Small adjustments on the carb (1/16 of a turn like you said) and a bit of patience goes a LONG way! I had a flooded condition yesterday and it was a frustrating bit getting it going again. Tried everything. Eventually, it kicked over and off she went. Patience does a lot. Which I had very little of yesterday lol! Bout got bit by a snake in my driveway and my little engine wouldn't start. Made for a stressful hour lol!

Phill

I find a tiny squirt of starter fluid works well on a flooded engine.

Because it's flooded there's plenty of oil in there so a quick squirt doesn't hurt.

Ice_2k

Phill said:
Did you ever see a weed whacker or outboard motor recommend breakin?Each to their own but it works for me.

Weed whackers are very low rpm, low performance engines intended for general consumers, I don't think it's a relevant comparison. You don't put weed whacker oil in your engine, do you? I think a better question would be if dirt bike engines require breakin and, as far as I know, they do.

@talunce When trying to start a flooded engine, I usually (after removing the plug and taking the gas out, of course) keep the throttle wide open while pulling, helps it start much faster.

Phill

Ice_2k said:
Weed whackers are very low rpm, low performance engines intended for general consumers, I don't think it's a relevant comparison. You don't put weed whacker oil in your engine, do you? I think a better question would be if dirt bike engines require breakin and, as far as I know, they do.I use the same dirt bike oil in my weed wacker as my DR.

You have your way and I have mine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online