• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

ESP reliability tips for 2-bolt users

alfred e numan

Deluge said:
How can you see that? They look like shadows to me. Lol. He said the damage is below the intake. If it got hot (I'm not saying it didn't) wouldn't the damage be more at the top of the piston in the ring area? Wouldn't the damage be at the top of the cylinder, as well?To me it looks like some dirt got in and scraped it up a bit. But that's me.
yea, its hard to know 100% with a photo. It very well could be just a reflection from something.- I was looking at the discoloration on the skirt area. It appeared to be sorta cooked oil color. was guessing that it got hot. yea, by rights- the piston should seize in the ring area. There is another angle- just another guess- If ethanol is not blended correctly it will seperate -sink to the bottom of the gas tank- this would cause a lean condition big timemost 2 stroke oils will not mix with ethanol- seize o matic. Who knows huh?- no way to really know from just photos.

Deluge

It does look a little cooked. Can't say for sure, though. If the compression is good, he could probably just clean out the case and slap from fresh gaskets on there and run it until it dies. That'd be the cheapest option, and he'd be able to get some run time out of it.

rev9fan1

thats what i was gonna do and he is right that is a heat mark on the skirt on the exhaust side, but its below the exhaust....everything happened no where near the piston ring.

alfred e numan

rev9fan1 said:
thats what i was gonna do and he is right that is a heat mark on the skirt on the exhaust side, but its below the exhaust....everything happened no where near the piston ring.
Thought so! just want to remain humble- not come off as some know it all---. As i said in another post, if ethanol is not blended correctly it can and will seperate from the gasoline its mixed with. Its called phase seperation. when 2 cycle oil is tossed into the equation- its best to try to find a bulk plant, tank farm. all the gasoline there has no ethanol. bulk plant owners want nothing to do with ethanol junk-most times the gas at a bulk plant is about 25 cents a gallon cheaper too.

G

Deluge said:
It does look a little cooked. Can't say for sure, though. If the compression is good, he could probably just clean out the case and slap from fresh gaskets on there and run it until it dies. That'd be the cheapest option, and he'd be able to get some run time out of it.
If I was in his position, that's what I'd do. Run it as long as you can. Only out the cost of the gasket at this point.

alfred e numan

I have never used these. But you know what? When you go to Safeway food stores, they have those hand wipes @ the shopping cart area, to wipe down the handles-- those r-c skins have the same texture! i bet ya 20 bucks its the same thing but a dry version. been wrong before bout many things here, but i have a feeling--- I really have to wonder if the really spendy types of paper towels would work- they are sorta renforced with the weave- they may not flow air when they get wet- I do know that a genuine shop-vac filter will work- just a thought. I am sayen this cause its not rained agan this summer for 6 months agan here- darned dust is like talcum powder.

rev9fan1

RCDAD said:
If I was in his position, that's what I'd do. Run it as long as you can. Only out the cost of the gasket at this point.
that's wat I'm doin :) but I'm scared when I get it back together to tune it the way trip does.....doesn't he go lean for like a second in that video?

Deluge

alfred e numan said:
I have never used these. But you know what? When you go to Safeway food stores, they have those hand wipes @ the shopping cart area, to wipe down the handles-- those r-c skins have the same texture! i bet ya 20 bucks its the same thing but a dry version. been wrong before bout many things here, but i have a feeling--- I really have to wonder if the really spendy types of paper towels would work- they are sorta renforced with the weave- they may not flow air when they get wet- I do know that a genuine shop-vac filter will work- just a thought. I am sayen this cause its not rained agan this summer for 6 months agan here- darned dust is like talcum powder.
They do look like those wipes!

Deluge

rev9fan1 said:
that's wat I'm doin :) but I'm scared when I get it back together to tune it the way trip does.....doesn't he go lean for like a second in that video?
Then tune by plug color. You'll be able to see if the engine is getting enough lube. And using this method, you methodically creep up to your final setting instead of trying to go by ear. I have nothing against going by ear, it's just that some people are better at it than others.

rev9fan1

yea i took my old gasket (metal) and put the new paper one under it and lined up the holes then took a black sharpie and made a line for cutting...works like a champ, no head gasket leak what so ever, and i have new teflon gaskets with the bolts cut down, no leaks there. i started her up to check for the leaks so its all good. Now i just have to get everything back together and off to tuning :-D for the 100th time. So i will tune it like RCDAD said, but if i do get it tuned is it permanent or do i have to tune it for cold weather too? is there a medium like if it gets 100 degrees here in the summer and 0 degrees in the winter can i tune it on a day that its 50 degrees and it will be ok for all year round?

Deluge

The head gasket was too small? That's weird. Which one did you get? All of the head gaskets I've received have been pretty damn perfect. Maybe cause it's an HY cylinder? Who knows.

Once you get it tuned, it's pretty much permanent. You'll have to tweak it every now and then. You'll have to richen it a bit for winter running, because the air is more dense. But other than that, it's good for year round running.

alfred e numan

yea, the gaskets will not slide over the bore. the jug is thicker. this is on the hy engines. also noticed that the flat sealing surface on a hy-cy that the intake manafold is just a hair wider than a zen jug. wish it was about 1/3 wider and had four bolts instead of two - intake and exhaust. this may nottbe worded correctly- still on my 1st cup of coffee, have not hit my target heart rate yet!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.