• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

ESP reliability tips for 2-bolt users

rev9fan1

k well i did that so now im waiting to see what the issue is

ChuenouXiao

rev9fan1 said:
k well i did that so now im waiting to see what the issue is
I think that engine is shot. Your best solution is to take your engine completely apart, literally piece by piece... to verify each individual part to see what exactly went wrong. The point of this is to learn what caused it for sure instead of playing the guessing game. First thing that comes to mind is a lean seize. Second would be something fail inside the engine causing all those scratches. You don't have to agree or listen to me but just me trying to help desismileys_6338.gif

Guantanamo Joe

If you don't have money to buy a new head, post on here for help and you might find someone who has upgraded their head to the ported kit. I did and would have been happy to send you my old head and piston, but I dropped the piston and it has a nick on it- which will cause exactly what you already have going on.

I am no expert, but I have had to rebuild 2 of these already- what kind of air filter are you running and in what kind of conditions? If this is only on the intake side is it possible that some sand or dirt could have gotten in? Are there any metal shavings in the head or crank case?

Deluge

rev9fan1 said:
thats wat rc dad told me i guess its smarter since they are cheaper and they can be just as strong...one day ill get a 4 bolt but until then ill just keep rebuilding it if it fails. Its so easy to diagnose these things when i sit and spend time doing it, i found out the head was leaking cause i sprayed carb cleaner on it. These paper head gaskets though if i spray carb cleaner on it, is it going to make them soft and leak? also how do you torque the head down when its an allen wrench and a torque wrench is a ratchet?
They sell hex sockets at Lowe's. Just get one that fits the drive on the torque wrench. Carb cleaner will break down the gasket, a bit. Better off replacing it.

Deluge

Guantanamo Joe said:
If you don't have money to buy a new head, post on here for help and you might find someone who has upgraded their head to the ported kit. I did and would have been happy to send you my old head and piston, but I dropped the piston and it has a nick on it- which will cause exactly what you already have going on.I am no expert, but I have had to rebuild 2 of these already- what kind of air filter are you running and in what kind of conditions? If this is only on the intake side is it possible that some sand or dirt could have gotten in? Are there any metal shavings in the head or crank case?
Bingo. That's what it looks like to me.

Rev, do the scratches go all the way up the cylinder? If the scratches are just in the lower portion of the cylinder, you could get away with just cleaning out the engine and putting fresh gaskets on it. If you could post a pic of the inside of the cylinder, that would help.

Deluge

ChuenouXiao said:
I think that engine is shot. Your best solution is to take your engine completely apart, literally piece by piece... to verify each individual part to see what exactly went wrong. The point of this is to learn what caused it for sure instead of playing the guessing game. First thing that comes to mind is a lean seize. Second would be something fail inside the engine causing all those scratches. You don't have to agree or listen to me but just me trying to help desismileys_6338.gif
Looks like dirt got in. If it were a lean seize, the damage would be more significant. It would be like a huge scrape going up the side of the piston.

G

rev9fan1 said:
it is happening on the intake side not the exhaust side AND its below the intake not where the ring is....what makes this happen and what am i suppose to do?
OUCH! :(

It looks like there is some damage on both sides, just more on the one side. IMO it does look like it ran lean. You will need to get a top end kit.

G

rev9fan1 said:
na im just saying i would much rather have someone that didnt JUST figure out what happen to thier motor help me. Im not angry and it doesn't take going lean for a couple of seconds to do this to a motor.
It only takes a second for this to happen if it gets too lean. Sometimes it can happen before you drive it back and shut it down. The piston expands when it gets too hot and then game over. It's the unburnt fuel that helps to keep it cool. When you introduce more air into the engine through a leak you get a lean condition regardless of the carb settings.

G

Deluge said:
Bingo. That's what it looks like to me.Rev, do the scratches go all the way up the cylinder? If the scratches are just in the lower portion of the cylinder, you could get away with just cleaning out the engine and putting fresh gaskets on it. If you could post a pic of the inside of the cylinder, that would help.
That might be worth a try. Gaskets are cheap. If it doesn't work your not out anything as the top end is already compromised.

G

Guantanamo Joe said:
If you don't have money to buy a new head, post on here for help and you might find someone who has upgraded their head to the ported kit. I did and would have been happy to send you my old head and piston, but I dropped the piston and it has a nick on it- which will cause exactly what you already have going on.I am no expert, but I have had to rebuild 2 of these already- what kind of air filter are you running and in what kind of conditions? If this is only on the intake side is it possible that some sand or dirt could have gotten in? Are there any metal shavings in the head or crank case?
That's a good idea. Many upgrade to higher hp engines, so some might have an engine or two to let go.

alfred e numan

that engine became hot. look at the backed on color on the piston skirt. the piston expanded-- ripped up the bore. just wondering-- what oil do you use and at what ratio?

rev9fan1

Its royal purple synthetic 25:1 also the scratches are only below the intake so from the intake up there are no scratches at all. The exhaust side there are no scratches what so ever, but there is what you see in the picture little tiny bit of burnt area, but its not like the intake side. Redcat says they have a life time warranty on their engines, all I have to do is send the old one in and pay for half of a new one....what do you guys think?

G

rev9fan1 said:
Its royal purple synthetic 25:1 also the scratches are only below the intake so from the intake up there are no scratches at all. The exhaust side there are no scratches what so ever, but there is what you see in the picture little tiny bit of burnt area, but its not like the intake side. Redcat says they have a life time warranty on their engines, all I have to do is send the old one in and pay for half of a new one....what do you guys think?
Just to clarify... Your Royal Purple is the 2 stroke version correct?

You could try filling a warranty claim with Redcat if you feel it was really defective. Their good at standing behind the warranty policy.

rev9fan1

yes it is 2 stroke oil, and if rcgasser is correct and a new engine from red cat is 200 i should buy that engine no?

rev9fan1

how much would a head kit be vs that new engine? and what head kit should i get?

G

It will be the same stock engine. If you have to spend that kind of money I would get one of the ported kits. You will end up with much more power. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts