• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

ESP reliability tips for 2-bolt users

rev9fan1

Man I wonder if that head gasket that's in that thread will work for my engine

rev9fan1

thats wat rc dad told me i guess its smarter since they are cheaper and they can be just as strong...one day ill get a 4 bolt but until then ill just keep rebuilding it if it fails. Its so easy to diagnose these things when i sit and spend time doing it, i found out the head was leaking cause i sprayed carb cleaner on it. These paper head gaskets though if i spray carb cleaner on it, is it going to make them soft and leak? also how do you torque the head down when its an allen wrench and a torque wrench is a ratchet?

G

You can get sockets with Allen heads. I picked up a 1/4" torque wrench from habor freight for cheap. It works great and is compact. Great for the RC repairs.

G

rev9fan1 said:
thats wat rc dad told me i guess its smarter since they are cheaper and they can be just as strong..
A lot of the time the failure is not the result of a poor gasket. It is the result of the jug being forced away from the base of the engine.

rev9fan1

so i took my cylinder head off and seems the bottom half is scratched to hell on the intake side, but its below where the ring goes so is that normal?

G

Nope. That means the piston has been grinding on it. Unfortunately that engine is probable waisted. Can you post a pic?

rev9fan1

rev9fan1

it is happening on the intake side not the exhaust side AND its below the intake not where the ring is....what makes this happen and what am i suppose to do?

ChuenouXiao

You were the one who also experience lean engine bouncing too right? I think that may have contribute to this.... maybe you been running it lean for so long with the engine bounce and this is the result. Or it could be that bearing that holds the head onto the crank shaft thingy broke causing your piston to wobble during compression? You might want to take the piston off to verify. Most likely you will have to replace your top end which is the piston, piston ring, head, piston bearing (don't know the term for it), and both c clips on each side of the piston.

rev9fan1

first off sir i have kept my car as tuned as possible, and i know the signs of my car being lean and it only "rev bounced" as you say 2 times and i didnt hold it like that. As soon as i realised my car was lean i shut it off, and tried tuning it. 90% of the time my car was spitting at the top end (rich) and on the low end it was smoking out the exhaust. Only recently have i been having lean issues because of the intake and the head gasket combined, hence why i havent been able to run more than 4 or 5 tanks of fuel through it. Also my gas ratio was 25-1 soooooo i don't think lean was the issue unless im wrong. then again if i knew what it was i wouldnt be asking. And not to be an asshole but when did you become and expert, didnt you just recently learn what was wrong with your car? can you please let someone who REALLY knows answer my questions?

ChuenouXiao

rev9fan1 said:
first off sir i have kept my car as tuned as possible, and i know the signs of my car being lean and it only "rev bounced" as you say 2 times and i didnt hold it like that. As soon as i realised my car was lean i shut it off, and tried tuning it. 90% of the time my car was spitting at the top end (rich) and on the low end it was smoking out the exhaust. Only recently have i been having lean issues because of the intake and the head gasket combined, hence why i havent been able to run more than 4 or 5 tanks of fuel through it. Also my gas ratio was 25-1 soooooo i don't think lean was the issue unless im wrong. then again if i knew what it was i wouldnt be asking. And not to be an asshole but when did you become and expert, didnt you just recently learn what was wrong with your car? can you please let someone who REALLY knows answer my questions?
Dude... just trying to help man... why are you angry? Like I said,

1. It's either you ran lean once and that was enough to cause that kind of damage to your engine

2. The bearing that holds your piston onto the crank shaft might of went bad causing your piston to wobble resulting in scratches like that.

All I'm saying is you might have to take your engine apart to verify what really happened, that's all. Why are you angry? I guess I'll just shut up then bud.

I've had this happened to me before and I have to rebuild my engine :D It was fun.... all I'm saying is your engine tells you exactly what is going on, especially when its broken like that. It does not lie....

Last edited by a moderator:

rev9fan1

na im just saying i would much rather have someone that didnt JUST figure out what happen to thier motor help me. Im not angry and it doesn't take going lean for a couple of seconds to do this to a motor.

ChuenouXiao

rev9fan1 said:
na im just saying i would much rather have someone that didnt JUST figure out what happen to thier motor help me. Im not angry and it doesn't take going lean for a couple of seconds to do this to a motor.
You're too hot temper and take offense too easy bud. I'm no pro but I've come to learn that your engine's damage tells you a lot about what you've done wrong or what has broken... you just got to take it apart and figure out what really happened. I think they call it reading the inside of the engine for the probable cause.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.