• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XB Rebuild Project

Stygian

Banned
Ok guys, I have pretty much finished my MT rebuild project so I want to get started on customizing my XB. It is fully stock except for I have already bought the hpi adapters and got a set of bow tie tires and they are put on. I have also already purchased a 645 throttle/brake servo and a dt1 air filter. I need to replace the steering servo but not to sure which one to go with and also not sure if I should upgrade to aluminum parts or not, any recommendations are welcomed. Also anyone know where a good place to order clear bodies for cheaper than $90?

Dreggsta

i know i am the only one here using them but thereare others using xq servos. you can get them here: redwingrc.com. i'm using the 5040 for my steering. they come w/a 1 year warranty.

as for parts, i really suggest the mt shocks bc they are longer. rear shocks on all 4 corners. i put 45wt in them. i just replaced my plastic center diff mounts w/aluminum ones & replaced my bearings w/boca's. i flipped the rear arm hub backwards s it got rid of the crow feet look it gave the rear wheels. i had a 990 but am now trying the 998. that's bout all i can think of. i know you know your way around these cars.

cordy

I wouldnt get to much aluminum cuz it adds weight and its a bitch to fix if it bends or dents. I would get the aluminum gear plate and belt drive.

Stygian

Banned
cordy said:
I wouldnt get to much aluminum cuz it adds weight and its a bitch to fix if it bends or dents. I would get the aluminum gear plate and belt drive.
If it bends you just replace it :) no different than if plastic pieces break, also I don't think aluminum is heavier than the plastic stock pieces as I have held the same aluminum and plastic stock parts and the plastic has felt heavier.

G

as for parts, i really suggest the mt shocks bc they are longer. rear shocks on all 4 corners.
Agreed.

Redcat supplies parts to rebuild them if needed. They don't for the X-series shocks. Another plus, some of the Baja shock parts will fit the MT shocks.

Dreggsta

i would get the xq's over the hitec's if that's what you are asking. i won't put hitec in my cars. hitec's have a fail rate too & good luck w/warranty.

i'm also w/cordy, it's al abou preference & tere are some thing's i like luminum but there are also things that are going to stay plastic. cheaper to buy & creates crinkle zones t absorb shock.

Dreggsta

RCDAD said:
Agreed.Redcat supplies parts to rebuild them if needed. They don't for the X-series shocks. Another plus, some of the Baja shock parts will fit the MT shocks.
what's cool i you can use your upper & lower shock mounts w/the mt shocks. maybe the baja's too. i can't speak for them. jut pop out the upper & lowerballs on yourxb shocks & pop them in the mt shocks & you're good to go.

Stygian

Banned
Dreggsta said:
i would get the xq's over the hitec's if that's what you are asking. i won't put hitec in my cars. hitec's have a fail rate too & good luck w/warranty.i'm also w/cordy, it's al abou preference & tere are some thing's i like luminum but there are also things that are going to stay plastic. cheaper to buy & creates crinkle zones t absorb shock.
Makes sense, aluminum or the stock MT shocks? I have spare MT parts to use so that's not much of an issue really and would save me money. The main thing about the aluminum parts is I like how it looks vs the black plastic look but there's just so much plastic on the x-series vs the mt I don't know how well it would look with aluminum parts and all that plastic.

I'm thinking at least doing aluminum front and rear shock holders and front and rear top and bottom suspension arms.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Dreggsta said:
what's cool i you can use your upper & lower shock mounts w/the mt shocks. maybe the baja's too. i can't speak for them. jut pop out the upper & lowerballs on yourxb shocks & pop them in the mt shocks & you're good to go.
That works on the stock (blue ones). The upgrade Resi shocks are different on the top.

Ildy666

Dreggsta said:
i know i am the only one here using them but thereare others using xq servos. you can get them here: redwingrc.com. i'm using the 5040 for my steering. they come w/a 1 year warranty.as for parts, i really suggest the mt shocks bc they are longer. rear shocks on all 4 corners. i put 45wt in them. i just replaced my plastic center diff mounts w/aluminum ones & replaced my bearings w/boca's. i flipped the rear arm hub backwards s it got rid of the crow feet look it gave the rear wheels. i had a 990 but am now trying the 998. that's bout all i can think of. i know you know your way around these cars.
U replaced ur bearings.did.u do holders or are they the stock plastic ones.the reason im asking is i also have an xt i want to get going and i was thinkin just doing bearings instead of the hubs and bearings.if ur using the stock hubs could u let.me know how there holding up?

Stygian

Banned
Dreggsta said:
i just replaced my plastic center diff mounts w/aluminum ones & replaced my bearings w/boca's. i flipped the rear arm hub backwards s it got rid of the crow feet look it gave the rear wheels. i had a 990 but am now trying the 998. that's bout all i can think of. i know you know your way around these cars.
Dreggsta where did you order your 998 from and the boca bearings?

Dreggsta

Stygian said:
Makes sense, aluminum or the stock MT shocks? I have spare MT parts to use so that's not much of an issue really and would save me money. The main thing about the aluminum parts is I like how it looks vs the black plastic look but there's just so much plastic on the x-series vs the mt I don't know how well it would look with aluminum parts and all that plastic. I'm thinking at least doing aluminum front and rear shock holders and front and rear top and bottom suspension arms.
that's what i have, front/rear aluminum shock towers but also an aluminum front top plate. i'm personally keeping my arms plastic bc that is a shock point & if they break they are cheap to replace. there are some points that you'd prefer to break rather than others. like, i've rea on another thread of somene having a bent chssis. it's fixable but i'd prefer an a-arm than the chassis taking damage & plstic will absorb shock while the aluminum will pass it on down the line.

i'm usng the stock mt shocks that have the blue tops on them.

Ildy666 said:
U replaced ur bearings.did.u do holders or are they the stock plastic ones.the reason im asking is i also have an xt i want to get going and i was thinkin just doing bearings instead of the hubs and bearings.if ur using the stock hubs could u let.me know how there holding up?
i replaced my plastic center dif mounts w/aluminum ones. the plastic ones are in great shape so i did it more as a preventive thing & since i was aready there replacing the bearings. for now, my front/rear diff husings are still plastic. i gtta save some coin for them as they are a we bit pricey. i bought a complete diff off ebay for $40 shipped. so, i have a spare ready to go should i need it.

Stygian said:
Dreggsta where did you order your 998 from and the boca bearings?
well i try to support the sellers here but i'm also a budget rc'er. sometimes i can get a better price or free shipping on ebay plus i'm used to ebay surfing for parts when i was big into atv's. i bought my 998 off ebay & my boca's are from boca's website. they have redcat kits that are priced a lot cheaper than if you were to buy the bearings individually.

Stygian

Banned
Thanks for all the info, I usually don't buy off ebay especially for rc parts as they are all coming from china and everything I have ordered in the past that's from china has never been what they advertise and it takes way too long to get here and they are estimating the delivery time like 2 or 3weeks that's insane imo so I rather spend a little money and have it from the US from a known retailer and get it faster, but the downside is I haven't found it on ddm or gizmomotors.

Dreggsta

the only thing i bought off ebay that was from china was the 998. everything else i have bought is from us. i prefer us jut bc of the quicker ship times. you know you can set the listings to only show north american sellers items right? lol last week i bought a front/rear driveshaft dog bones set off a parted xt for like $8 shipped. they looked brand new when i got them.

Stygian

Banned
Dreggsta dobyiu mind posting a link to the bearings you bought I'm not seeing any for the xb on Nova's website

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.