• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Running my OBR Engine

ChuenouXiao

I was at the park having a blast! My tuning seems perfect and all but something happened. I was just doing high speed run back in forth on the parking lot. I notice the engine have a lost of power when my XB was turning around to come toward me. It seem the idle was weak (Like the intensity of the idle was lowered) so I rev the engine.... it responded and seem to scream coming toward me. When it got close to me the engine finally died on me. Base on my experience starting my engine should only be one pull when my engine is warm. This time It won't... something tells me its something serious :( The only different thing I've done to my engine is I've fine tuned my LSN to where my XB launches very good on the low end. Before... it was running rich and was bogging down before it screams. What are your thoughts guys? I haven't done a full diagnostic yet but I did try to start it... so far I am not successful. Maybe I might have to send it back to OBR for them to check out. Please give me your input...

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Did you pull the plug to make sure it's not flooded?

Did you take off the gas tank cap to check for vapor lock?

If both are not a problem you can set back to the base settings to get her running.

I had a spark plug fail durring a run which caused me to flood the engine trying to restart.

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
Did you pull the plug to make sure it's not flooded?Did you take off the gas tank cap to check for vapor lock?

If both are not a problem you can set back to the base settings to get her running.

I had a spark plug fail durring a run which caused me to flood the engine trying to restart.
Hey RCdad... thanks for the response.... I appreciate it a lot :D

Did you pull the plug to make sure it's not flooded?

a: Yes I pull the plug to see what's going on... its not flooded or wet. The plug has a good chocolate color with no grey or silver particle. I think its already tuned perfectly.... unless I'm wrong.

Did you take off the gas tank cap to check for vapor lock?

a: I have one of those snappy vented gormet fuel line extension with vent cap so I didn't think it would be vapor lock.

a: I think I should try that

a: It could be a bad plug but when I got home.. I tried to start it... the first or second pull... the engine seems like it wants to start but... it simply won't. Something interesting about this is that when I pull the pull start, the car wants to move forward. Which is weird... I've never experience that before. After a couple pull... and my car still won't start, my car seem to lock to where you can't push the car back in forth until you nudge it a little(Almost like the clutch is engage....? But its not though). Then you are able to push the car back and forth with no problem. Interesting.... Your thoughts?

G

If it sounds like it wants to start but doesn't, sounds like tuning or a bad plug.

The wheels can only move with the engine if the clutch is rubbing the clutch bell.

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
If it sounds like it wants to start but doesn't, sounds like tuning or a bad plug.The wheels can only move with the engine if the clutch is rubbing the clutch bell.
Going to have to test everything.... then I will update here... might take a couple days cause I'm going to be busy :D Please check back and help if you can :D Thanks!

Deluge

That's a water cooled marine engine. It's made for boat use. I doubt you'll need a new engine, it sounds like you just need a new clutch spring.

ChuenouXiao

Deluge said:
That's a water cooled marine engine. It's made for boat use. I doubt you'll need a new engine, it sounds like you just need a new clutch spring.
Clutch spring? I'm going to have to watch that engine taking apart video again to know what your talking about. Oh.... the clutch spring that holds the clutch togther? I think I know what you're talking about... but why isn't the engine starting? Maybe plug or tuning. I doubt its tuning... could be plug.... will verify and update here.... thank you guys.... !

the1320god

ChuenouXiao said:
Clutch spring? I'm going to have to watch that engine taking apart video again to know what your talking about. Oh.... the clutch spring that holds the clutch togther? I think I know what you're talking about... but why isn't the engine starting? Maybe plug or tuning. I doubt its tuning... could be plug.... will verify and update here.... thank you guys.... !
clutch spring broke is why its trying to move when you pull the pull rope. (clutch staying engaged) i would reset carb and then if that's not it replace plug. also test it to see if its getting spark. hope that helps a lil.

Deluge

ChuenouXiao said:
A bad or broken clutch spring can cause starting issues.

Ildy666

Sounds like a big problem Chue,why don't u sell me your obr engine and buy a new one.u don't want to break down during bashing.you will have piece of mind knowing u got a new motor and I'll take that headache off your hands ..lol.. Let me know cash money.....

G

Sounds like a big problem Chue,why don't u sell me your obr engine and buy a new one.u don't want to break down during bashing.you will have piece of mind knowing u got a new motor and I'll take that headache off your hands ..lol.. Let me know cash money.....
LMAO

Too Funny......

TerraKill

Deluge said:
A bad or broken clutch spring can cause starting issues.
+1 sounds just like a broken clutch spring to me, probs nothing to worry about atall,

theres no way you can start an engine with a broken cluch spring while the wheels are on the ground, the clutch will be taking all the RPM's out off your pulls.(if the spring is only streached then it might start, but would sound rough on idle)

you might be lucky to start it if you have all 4 wheels off the ground, and tug tht pull start till ya blue in the face:rolleyes:

ChuenouXiao

Haven't got the chance to take it apart yet so once I do.... I will update here. Thanks you all for the information.... I hope its just the clutch :D

ChuenouXiao

Ildy666 said:
Its going to be $450... that includes shipping!!! J/K Idly :D Your funny :D

ChuenouXiao

Deluge said:
Here's a excuse for me to get a 8k clutch :D

tsudo5th

I had the same issue with truck moving. I took off the drive gear connected to the clutvh bell under plastic cover and was able to start it and watch the bell spin with the motor. Was easy to find out before pulling motor. I ended up getting a 7500 clutch and am way happy with it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.