• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

porting a hy 30.5

larryo

Ok but if your gone any lower then 1/2" you are running the risk of popping the ring out of place.Now i'd get 400gt sand paper and sand the edges of the nickel plate were you did the port work.This helps to radies the edge so the piston ring don't hook.

I can't get by pic off the phone to show you,i have changed PC and the download is not on this one but trying to hunt it down.When i do get it downloaded i'll put up pics.

And yes you have a full mod head on the go there,good work

creepingcharlie

OK got it. Now for the piston I see in your pics you knive edge the openings by the piston pin and take some material from the inside. Is that just to lighten it up or is there other reasons?

larryo

Yes when u look at your piston you can see a edge that the factory made to put the piston in a lathe,this is what you remove and down were if the piston had 2 rings you can buff some of this off.But don't do it were the pin is,if you hit the pin you might make it loose and fall out when the engine is running.

Now if you didn't take much off the bottom of the intake port were the port hole is you can remove 1mm off the piston skirt no more at this time.and when you look at my piston you can see i angled the wall by the pin holes.

OOO and when you put the C clip in the piston put the opening at 12 not 3 or 9 were the notch is.If you do you are going to loose the C clip out of the piston and kill the head.I and a good friend has done this by putting the C clip at 3 or 9 and lost all of it.

Now with this mod i run 250ml of oil per GAL of reg fuel.and don't forget to sand the edges of the nice ported head.

It's all good if you got any more Q just ask.

THX

Larry

creepingcharlie

OK here it is. I hope I didn't mess it up to bad. Being at home and taking more time on it helps. I should have waited to do the head today. It most likely would of came out better.

creepingcharlie

I was going to temp to take out the little ball and humps in the bottom of the piston but not having the right bit makes it hard. So tell next time I have it apart and the right bit I will do it.

larryo

Good job now all you need to do is sand the sharp edges on the piston skirt.And if you don't have a 8000rpm spring get one you going to need it.

You just made a screamer and is going to hit the high RPMS with a good pipe.

There is no need to take the little ball and humps out of the piston.

creepingcharlie

Its alive. It took me some time to get it started. The Carb was all out of adjustment. I did sand down all the sharp edges just like I did in the head. Thanks you Larryo for the pointers. They came in handy. It sound like its going to be a screamer. I do have a new 8000 clutch with tall intake v stack 990 Carb and a ddm domain rear pipe.

G

Look'n good man. I'm look'n forward to hearing how it performs.

creepingcharlie

It runs hard. I have a feeling its going to be spending a bunch of time on my work table being broken. It straight gets it.

BertR

Thats awesome dude... Good to hear its a fire breather :D If I could find some take-off's I would get a little more radical.

creepingcharlie

Thanks guys. I am going to get some video and GPS the speed on it tomorrow hopefully. One thing I did notice is the low and high needs are set way different then before. They are actually closed more. J find that strange.

larryo

So what was the setting on the carb to start before you moved them?? and your bat wing with the butterfly might need to be open more, and you needles set back up a little rich.

creepingcharlie

If I remember correctly about 1 1/4 low side and 1 1/2 high side. With very little idle screw opened. Now the idle screw is opened a lot and low side is about 1 and height side 1 1/4. I always had a hard time tuning it before cause of a bad head gasket that I didn't know about. It runs good. Its not getting hot. The gas I am running right now is a little rich in oil so mabey that might be why.

larryo

Awesome. But i forgot can you look in the intake port can you see the ends of the ring? That little tit in the intake port is were the pin in the piston and the ends of the ring meet,If you can see the pin or the ends of the ring you might loose the head do to the ring popping out in the intake port.

But by the look of your work you did fine with the port job.

creepingcharlie

Trying to upload video on you tube from phone. It taking some time.

Larryo. I will check that tomorrow. But everything seems good as I ran it pretty hard today.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts