• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

porting a hy 30.5

creepingcharlie

Hello fellow RCers. I was wondering if any of you have ported your head on these motors. Thinking about giving it a try on my motor since I have it apart due to a blown head gasket.

Ildy666

my Mt had Blown head gasket problems from day one.seem like every time i used it the gasket would blow out.try a metal gasket or get a 4 bolt motor.that's what i did...good luck...

BertR

Hahahah that's funny you ask I just ported my stock head tonight after my intake gasket and head gasket went belly up at the same time. Since it was apart what can it hurt lol. if it don't work OBR will head will.

creepingcharlie

BertR said:
Hahahah that's funny you ask I just ported my stock head tonight after my intake gasket and head gasket went belly up at the same time. Since it was apart what can it hurt lol. if it don't work OBR will head will.
Can you post pic of your port job. I am going to give it a try. Never ported a head before on a two stroke.

larryo

Hi you can go to my PIC i have did mods to the head and piston, And you can ask me any Q if you like or PM.

THX

Larry

Stumpdiggitty

BertR said:
ooohhhhh.....OBR Head... im jealous....

BertR

I didnt go to the extreme with the porting just did some work on the exhaust port and little on the piston at the exhaust port edge.My intake gasket was toast and head gasket was shot so im sure it will run better than stock with that dom on it

larryo

Bertr can't run the cars now it's winter here.But with the boats they can get up and go,my engines hit the upper 18,000 to mid 19,000 rpms.

The best mods are the piston and eye brows in the runner port.You can remove 2mm off the skirt of the piston to keep the intake open a little longer for more intake of fuel.

O and if you going to lighten the piston inscide don't remove the alum by the piston ring pin,if you do you might loosen the pin and kill the head when the ring starts to move out of place.

If there is any more Q just ask i'll try a tell it the best way i can on the forum.My spelling ect is the sh?t!. But i can upload pic in more detail if need down the road.

THX

Larry

BertR

Hey Charlie... I will find out tomorrow how the port job works out. This is my first attempt at it also there for I cant say what I did until I know that it was a success . I will keep you posted and sorry for jacking your thread

creepingcharlie

larryo said:
Bertr can't run the cars now it's winter here.But with the boats they can get up and go,my engines hit the upper 18,000 to mid 19,000 rpms.The best mods are the piston and eye brows in the runner port.You can remove 2mm off the skirt of the piston to keep the intake open a little longer for more intake of fuel.

O and if you going to lighten the piston inscide don't remove the alum by the piston ring pin,if you do you might loosen the pin and kill the head when the ring starts to move out of place.

If there is any more Q just ask i'll try a tell it the best way i can on the forum.My spelling ect is the sh?t!. But i can upload pic in more detail if need down the road.

THX

Larry
Larry I see you did all the porting on a 4 bolt head engine. Would it be the same on a two bolt head. Also did you you anything to the bottom end to get to the 18000 rpm range and if you can upload some hi Res pic that would be awsome. I am thinking about doing some work on the piston also.

creepingcharlie

BertR said:
Hey Charlie... I will find out tomorrow how the port job works out. This is my first attempt at it also there for I cant say what I did until I know that it was a success . I will keep you posted and sorry for jacking your thread
No problem about the hijack you may ask question I don't and get answers that will contribute to the topic. So no harm. I will be looking forward to hearing how it runs.

larryo

HI i did nothing to the bottom end no need too,and as for 2bolt vs 4bolt heads are just about the same.

And yes i'll try and have the pics uploaded on the forum by the weekend.As for getting in the upper 18s the piston mod helps with the eyebrows cut in the port.

If you like to see some vids of my engine work on boats, go on youtube and search hubey12 he is my vid man lol.

GTS 666

I've done a few port jobs for my self and have two motors on the bench waiting to test. I just need another car as a test mule as I don't want to pull any of the motors that I have in my cars out. Ill buy another car this year I hope.

creepingcharlie

Checked out your vids. Your boats run good. What did you use? A dia grinder or a dermel? Also for the carbide bits did you use the longer shank ones like you would use for larger heads.

BertR

If i knew where to get pull offs dirt cheap I would definitely get a few to experiment with. That way I have something to match in the future

larryo

I used a dremel and the STD carbide bits,no need for the longer shank for them engines.

creepingcharlie said:
Checked out your vids. Your boats run good. What did you use? A dia grinder or a dermel? Also for the carbide bits did you use the longer shank ones like you would use for larger heads.

creepingcharlie

Hey Larry I was noticing that my piston is a little bit of a different design then yours. The skirts are off center.

How would I lighten / port this piston.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.