• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

porting a hy 30.5

rampagemt

Re: porting a hy 30.5

This thread just really makes want to pick up the dremel bits and start hacking away. Pick up a ton of 2 bolt cylinders to practice on

BertR

My gaskets are in today and will be torquing the head after work...we will se how well I did. I will keep all posted.

G

Nice! I'm look'n forward to your results. I've always left the motor work to the pros. LOL

larryo

I'll be down in the work shop this weekend,and i'll take some pic and point out were to remove metal and about how much.

There is something about taking a engine and making it work better by your own mods.But OBR does a really nice work on there engines,and i can't take that away from them.

BertR

Ok!! she is all back together and 3 heat cycles and all torqued down :D This thing is pissed off and I haven't even tuned it yet "TX battery was dead". Just so everybody knows Larryo knows his shit!!!! Thanks for the pointers and sharing your photo's.This engine work was fun to do and now I'm ready to find another engine to get a little more aggressive on the mods. I shot some video sunday just before the tear-down so I can do a before and after in the same place. I will upload some pics in my photos of what I did to the beast.

Thanks creepingcharlie for letting me have a piece of your thread

G

Congrats man! Glad it's performing.

rampagemt

Re: porting a hy 30.5

Awsome job dude, I just think I would feel better about myself if I did "that" porting and the motor is screaming now.....but the pros do my porting till I come up with the courage

creepingcharlie

larryo said:
I'll be down in the work shop this weekend,and i'll take some pic and point out were to remove metal and about how much.There is something about taking a engine and making it work better by your own mods.But OBR does a really nice work on there engines,and i can't take that away from them.
I hear about doing your mods. That's what makes it fun. I am going to picuk up a drumel this weekend and get to work.

creepingcharlie

BertR said:
Ok!! she is all back together and 3 heat cycles and all torqued down :D This thing is pissed off and I haven't even tuned it yet "TX battery was dead". Just so everybody knows Larryo knows his shit!!!! Thanks for the pointers and sharing your photo's.This engine work was fun to do and now I'm ready to find another engine to get a little more aggressive on the mods. I shot some video sunday just before the tear-down so I can do a before and after in the same place. I will upload some pics in my photos of what I did to the beast. Thanks creepingcharlie for letting me have a piece of your thread
That awesome man. Glad it all came together. Can't wait to see it run. And no problem for sharing the thread. I will be posting my progress of my port job soon.

creepingcharlie

Well I got ants in my pants today and stared to port the head at work. Where I had air and a die grinder. I tryed to follow what was posted on ************** forums. I got interrupted a few time which didn't help. I will post some before pics and finish pics. With what I was trying to accomplish. As the pic will show I got a little happy removing material. Also you will see you need a steady hand and at time I did not.

creepingcharlie

First pics are of head in stock form.

creepingcharlie

Here is the start of the eyebrow porting and where I should off stoped. Also the star of the transfer fins cut down.

Pic of me not not knowing when to stop. See the hole where I took to much out. :eek: also you can see I ported the intake runner.

creepingcharlie

Here's the exhaust side. With some blending work. Also the exhaust runner ported and semi polished.

Now a top view of the finished job. As you can tell I am far from a professional proter. But for my first temp at doing this I think it came out OK.

And for how I fixed the hole. I got some steel apoxy and filled it in and re blended it. Hope it works for a couple of runs tell I get a new head. It hard to tell but if you look good you can see the different color where the hole was.

larryo

HI how low is the two thin runners? you can only go down about 1/2" and the the intake port looks good.but don't take any more off that tit were the pin in the piston is on the intake port.and do you have a pic of the exh port roof to post up?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts