• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

New 1/5 scale electric. Redcat??

Obeast44

Banned
hamster huey said:
Sweet! Thats what I said I thought Id end up on 6s! So far everything Im thinking is right on! Im so excited I could poop!
I just did, and let me tell ya...it wasnt pretty!

On a serious note, I would prefer a little lower KV (700-800kv range)just because it will help temps, amps and efficiency. But that is easily rectified with a Neu motor(pun intended) ;)

Man I want to get my grubby mits on one so I can get some much needed measurements. I honestly think I could squeeze 4-10s 4500mah lipos on the chassis, with a new battery tray obviously.

killajb

Pun taken, and precisely my thoughts in asking what motor and esc were used. With a much anticipated HV esc coming out and the aforementioned motor of correct size, I see a large scale masterpiece!

TheThing

All I can say is W0W..

This is boner material..

I am spreading the word downunder.

We are pretty amused by the height that this beastie can get..

What are the run times on something like this?

Anyways, keep up the good info, its a must, we need these machines.

Some of us can't run 2 stroke down our local parks, so this would be brilliant.

I have watched a lot of Alis videos, the 1 where his cars attack him and he gets all melancholy is classic, cliff jumping, yeah why not make it an Olympic sport LOL..

I have seen personally a 1/5 Baja 150 amp esc Feigo motor at my LHS.

Looked good and was real cheap, about $900 AUD.

No batteries though.

I would prefer this truck, its has brilliant take off and landing, where as the buggy sux ass.

Each to their own though.

:)

Obeast44

Banned
Runtimes depend solely on "mah" capacity. Unfortunately, I don't have exact battery box dimensions, or any chassis specs as of yet. On any of them.

The thing that was hurting the buggy was the shock setup. To much spring rate. They were so stiff it was almost like it had a solid suspension.

TheThing

Still, this has to be one of the most fun driving experiences I have ever seen.

If this gets released, will it be sold World wide?

I will tell you now, there is a big market here in Australia, and Redcat Racing have lost on a potential market because there is no Australian support.

Everyone is buying HSP.

I have bought 4 cars in the last 3 months, 1 being a HSP, I would have bought a Redcat but nothing was on offer here.

BSD is available, but at an inflated price.

It would be good to see Redcat in Australia as the market atm is being flooded by dodgey dealers and ebayers..

:)

hamster huey

Runtime depends on gearing temperatures and MAH. For example you might have great top speed but an overheating prob. Sometimes the fixes create less desireable driving charcteristics/feel/handling. Some fixes that could be negative are: more voltage (also adds weight), losing weight, reducing rotoating mass, less kv, fans/sinks, or a smaller pinion (reduces top speed/decreases traction). I have a cars that feel perfect but the motor gets hot 2/3 through (in 100+ degrees days not sub 70's) but if I do any of the changes to run cooler I don't like the feel so I just run 2/3 and let it cool a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Obeast44

Banned
hamster huey said:
Runtime depends on gearing temperatures and MAH. For example you might have great top speed but an overheating prob. Sometimes the fixes create less desireable driving charcteristics/feel/handling. Some fixes that could be negative are: more voltage (also adds weight), losing weight, reducing rotoating mass, less kv, fans/sinks, or a smaller pinion (reduces top speed/decreases traction). I have a cars that feel perfect but the motor gets hot 2/3 through (in 100+ degrees days not sub 70's) but if I do any of the changes to run cooler I don't like the feel so I just run 2/3 and let it cool a bit.
All of those factor into Amp draw. Essentially, Amp Draw/Mah capacity= Runtime. I know there is more to the equation with regards to efficiency, parasitic losses and so forth. But I was trying to keep it simple. :D

hamster huey

Youre right. Battery packs are measured in watthours (ampsXvolts) or more commonly as you said MAH. Usaully the mwh is on the back on the mah is on the front. Yeah thats youre packs runtime if you can get it out of the pack w/o having to stop for an overheating motor, then youre cars runtime is limited by the motor not the battery. Im hoping the 1.5 has good power, good tq, good weight, good top speed w.o overheating but sometimes thats hard to do.

killajb

I think with a quality brushless motor, a high voltage (10-12s) ESC and 40c rated lipos, it can be done quite well. All three of the aforementioned already exsist.

Consider racing applications, where I'd think the max speed needed would be around 40-45mph. Depending on the final drive ratio of this vehicle, a motor in the 700-900kv range with 10-12s voltage should do the job nicely. The unforseen issue here would probably be differential gears/temps. Even with a solid spool for the center, uh.. "diff", the front and rear differentials will generate some considerable heat in a vehicle of this size.

There will be some top speed freaks who try to gear for 60+ mph and then go bashing up grassy hills. If that's the case, then I think the current limitation would be the batteries.

hamster huey

Very good point about diff temps. I forgot about that! I have burshless now the motor and batteries are not overworked but the the diffs/shafts/cups get so hot I cant touch them!

BTW I was just at the Redcat site and noticed under " electrics" they had a caption with generic pic that said "photo coming soon". I wonder what could it be?????

I hope very soon!

killajb

I guess we'll all have to stand by and see what happens. I definitely think there will be a large market for such a vehicle.

killajb

I have 3 different motors, and 2 esc's that are 12s and 10s capable if anyone needs a beta tester..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online