• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

My XBE Build

BoukeG

Hi all! After reading a lot on this forum and enjoying my XB-E project, I finally decided to do a post on the progress.

I've had ups and downs, but now I'm almost finished. I'm very excited, but a little bit down as well, since I enjoyed working on this model very much - and now it is almost finished - I don't know what to do (but I have a couple of new bodies to paint ).

So where did it all started: local RC shop. Damn 1/5 large scale... Redcat you say? Never heared of it... The price: 720 euros... Oooph that is not cheap. Have to consult my wife. Do you mind buying one? It is only 500 (just a little lie - but I settled that later). Did a phone call next day to the dealer: "yes, I'll be buying it". He says: "do you want to buy mine? It is used, but I'll discount you". No - I had other plans - I want a NEW one. Strip most stock parts and buy 7075RC hopups, and a couple of other stuff... (by that time I've read a LOT on this forum so I knew what I was getting). AND on top of that - I wanted to create a complete 7075 build and make cool photographs and eventually create a nice poster to be printed and placed above my desk. So I would never drive it outside until it's done.

Couple of days later it came in. Again a couple of days later: I picked it up. Huge! I was used to 10th scale and I have a E-Revo, which is the largest model I own, until now.

I was very very happy, but... it was the 'older' version. 6mm threads on the wheels (darn, and I just ordered the 10mm converters from Ol Fart). It had the blue body. Didn't came with lipo's since that isn't allowed oversees from USA (would take like forever).

Then came the orders:

- all parts from 7075

- python titanium rods

- TPPower engine (hobbyking was sold out on the 1000kv engine - I knew that this one never becomes available). I took the 5th scale, which was a little scary since I didn't know it would fit. Now I know it does.

- servo: savox 0235.

- flysky transmitter

- grafil body

- tires

- lipos

- small stuff like thicker cables - 8mm plugs, M3 screws etc. etc., paint for body

So with the help of this forum and Doug from 7075 I was able to make my build.

So here are some pictures (note - I WILL create high Q ones later):

Engine overview. See the nice motor mount. Needed the 6 hole CAM to hold the engine.

I think the engine has about 1 to 2mm clearance. Very nice.

The motor on the cam.

BoukeG

Servo Savox 0235 images

The big SAVOX servo 0235. It isn't a perfect fit. It is about 8mm larger in length and two top holes need to go up by 2 mm. I save the old ESC mount to put in the CC BEC Pro - which is a nice fit I think. The motor mount required you to trim some from the ESC mount, so stock wouldn't fit anymore. However - I think it is quite useful like this.

Just a view from the other side...

[ame]

[/ame]Movie clip on the 0235 performance. Hope you enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoukeG

I've mounted the stock ESC for now - will see how that goes. I do have a XL2 around here, which I might try later. But if I'm satisfied with this one - I'll keep it, since it is rather inexpensive to replace.

Flysky transmitter - TODO: hack it and reprogram, hehehe.

One of the wheels with the 7075 converter on. I replaced the threads with a 10mm one (stock came with 6mm).

BoukeG

Rear wheel bearing holder. 7070rc jumps out - really nice!

Front differential. 7070rc also jumps out here... One thing missing though: NO BUMPER... Yes, I ordered one from T-Bone racing. But that is three weeks ago and I cannot wait any longer for showing you these pictures.

C-Hubs from 7070rc. Also very nice - not a very sharp image. Will redo soon...

BoukeG

Experience

So here are some good and bads I experienced. I would call them 'bads', but just little things I didn't see coming.

Goods:

- Motor fits. So the TPPower 5840S, 5840L and 5850 fits physically in the car without major problems. You do need and other mount. I don't know about Kershaw designs, but 7075rc motor mount with 6 hole cam fits great! Around 150 dollars.

- Bicycle inner tube for shock protectors, what a great idea, works great! Very cheap, but don't take a too small tire. I took a mountain bike tube. Just 5 euros

- Impressed with the Flysky GT3B transmitter. I bought it for 55 euros.

- VERY impressed with the 7075RC stuff. Great quality, solid. I had some 'bads' though, that is for the 'bads' section. Around 600 dollars, or even more I think since I paid a lot for customs - and I've been so stupid not placing 1 order, but two - bought the wheel converters first and later the rest - so 2 times shipping.

- Car is very easy to work with. I have downloaded the Flash enabled manual, and it has a very nice overview. Free!

- Servo is fast! Wauw! Bought for 70 euros.

- Help from this forum - Free!

- Titanium buckles. Very nice - got them from: http://www.pythonmotorsports.com/. Also one 'bads'...

- Caste Creations BEC Pro is very easy to program... Put it @ 8.0v for the receiver and Savox Servo.

- I got the ceramic ball bearings from Acer Racing. I did have experience with them in my E-Revo, so I'm using them in the XB-E too. Only the bearing holder for now, perhaps I'll replace the others in the future too...

The 'bads' list (although, as I said, not really problems, but things I had to deal with and didn't expected it). But in the end, easy to fix.

- 7075 wheel adapters: the M3 screws where a little bit to long - I replaced them with M3x16. I did try pushing the 18mm in, but it almost widened the head to I almost couldn't get it out anymore.

- 7075 diff housings: trimmed one of the arm holders on both housings. I couldn't get it on. Took about an hour to get it trimmed and fit it in. Rear was okay, front has two screws which doesn't go in completely. I guess a bumper would fix that. Also diff housing was missing the 'shorter' screw. Rather inexpensive, so after a short mail, I knew I needed M3x6 screws.

- Stock bumpers with 7075 diff housing isn't possible. Get some T-Bone bumpers. Boy - do I wish I knew before, I'm still waiting on those.

- Soldering 8mm bullets required good tooling - get a good soldering machine. I didn't had one, so I got a Weller PU-81. Soldering 8mm with it IS soo much easier.

- Bought 4 lipos, one lipo is bad. Bought it at my local hobby shop, so it's quite cool he can exchange it very easy.

- Servo doesn't fit without modification. I just driled to holes in the chassis and two hole in the plastic. Also added holed in the ESC holder plate to attach it again.

That's about it - don't ask me how it drives... I don't know (waiting for the bumpers). However - after the fotoshoot - my brother with video the first run. I'll be checking motor temps, run times. 'Feel' how it drives... So stay tuned :D

G

Great info.

Very nice build. Look'n awesome.

DUFFY

Looks cool, I like the white wheels.

BoukeG

The motor is a TP5840S, 6-pole, 4Y 1600KV. Size is 58mm diameter, 82mm length. The shaft is 8mm. Weight is 715grams. Compared to the stock motor, turning the shaft has more resistance. I think weight is about the same (although stock has large cooling fins).

I cannot tell you how it performs yet. I have only run it inside my house - slowly. And while lifted I ran it at full speed. The noise this machine makes in increadable - a bit scary even. Cannot wait 'til my bumpers come in so I can start driving it outside...

BoukeG

Okay, I ran it a little bit longer last night. Motor got warm like 40 degrees celsius. Esc got really hot, like 80 degrees celsius! Then I noticed the fan wasn't running.

I was wondering why... Then it hit me... I'm running an external bec. Only ground and signal are going from my receiver to the esc. Power to the receiver is also from my bec. So the fan is not running because it is not getting power.

This is what I did: removed the white plug from the esc. Put in the second power from the cc bec pro, into the plug where you can add a fan for the motor.

Now the fan runs fast at 8 volts. Hehe, don't know if that lasts for long. But the esc stays VERY cool now. Around 25 where ambient is 20.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online