• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

My Rampage XB project

Ice_2k

My project

RampageHopUps said:
Tempering the diff cups is a good idea. Just use a propane or Oxy torch to heat the cups up to cherry red. Then let them slowly cool down under a ceramic mug. The slower they cool the better it will be.
Am I aiming the torch at the shaft of the cup itself? Is there the risk of over-doing it (maybe heating them too far)? I googled this because I never heard of it before and I saw people usually talk about getting them blue.

And finally, if I add cup sleeves, is tempering still necessary?

RampageHopUps

In olden days, the drive pins on the cups broke. So Redcat made the hole bigger and used a stronger pin. Now the pin is fine and the shaft of the diffcup breaks where the hole is. That is the section you need to heat up. Propane is good, and most people in the US have a propane torch. I usually use MAP gas to get the heat higher. Unless you are using oxy-acetelyne, you won;t be able to heat it up too far.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-14-1-oz-Map-Pro-Cylinder-332477/203226566

The sleeves are a good idea, and prevents the end of the cup from spreading and then cracking. It won;t help the pin-drive hole cracking though.

Ice_2k

Ok, so I'm aiming at the little hole in the shaft. I have a torch with 30% propane and 70% butane, think that will work?

IMG_2671.jpg

IMG_2671.jpg

/monthly_2015_02/IMG_2671.jpg.e3655571ad92fc9e3e21b48772ee2215.jpg

designed2survive

I received the carburetor manifold yesterday and was able to start the engine today. The 990 carb started on the second pull after priming with my finger.

Now good news and bad news. Bad news is the radio (GT3B) I decided to use has a glitch. While idling to warm up the engine, it suddenly went to WOT. I turned it off using the kill switch. Turned off both the transmitter and the receiver and turned them back on again. Carburetor still at WOT. Funny thing is that I had this radio laying around for 2 years brand new never used. I never even gave it a thought until recently. I decided to finally give it a go after reading great reviews and liking some of the features. Well that's it for it. I don't like glitches and would rather get a different radio lol. My everyday radio is a spectrum DX2 and it works just fine. But it's only a 2 channel radio and I would like to get one with at least 3 channels (makes it more convenient for the kill switch).

I'm tempted by the FS it4 and would love to have some feedback.

I'm also open to suggestions.

Thanks guys!

Last edited by a moderator:

designed2survive

Good or bad news, it was not the radio but my throttle servo (HS-985MG) that is having issues. It did the same thing after I switched to the DX2 radio. As soon as I switched to a different servo, problem solved.

Good news, the HS 5645mg throttle servo and 5765MH are on the DOTD at DDM. So I went ahead and ordered both.

I was able to start and warm it up today. No field or space to run it. I'll post a little vid of it in a few. Nothing exciting!

Still wondering if I really need to get a G320RC.

designed2survive

Ice_2k said:
You certainly don't "need" to :)
That's true! LOL! Things we think we need, we want or might need later and so on... LOL!

Last edited by a moderator:

Ice_2k

RampageHopUps said:
The sleeves are a good idea, and prevents the end of the cup from spreading and then cracking. It won;t help the pin-drive hole cracking though.
I just noticed on my DR that the cups coming from the diffs are brown, copper-ish. All the others are black. Maybe some extra-strength cups for those parts?

designed2survive

Ice_2k said:
I just noticed on my DR that the cups coming from the diffs are brown, copper-ish. All the others are black. Maybe some extra-strength cups for those parts?
Interesting! That would be a nice upgrade.

Ice_2k

I can take a better picture tonight if necessary

cups.jpg

cups.jpg

/monthly_2015_02/cups.jpg.c2e42b22cb101ec0738c7b8cbc90132a.jpg

Ice_2k

that's great, so maybe no more need for copper sleeves. Is it just me or is it starting to look like this V3 32cc is maybe a "V4"?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts