• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

My Rampage XB project

designed2survive

I'm about to get started on my XB project and I have a couple of guiding questions.

The center dogbones have a 4-5mm forward/backward play between the cups. I'm going to make my own chassis out of 1/4" T6 aluminum sheet. Given that I can move the front and rear differential closer to eliminate the play, I was wondering if:

1- that 4-5 mm play is a problem?

2- I should just ignore it?

3- I will be creating more problems that solving any?

4- I should address anything else while making the chassis, shock tower, steering servo mount and throttle servo tray?

5- I should create a a MCD style servo tray and go dual steering? I've read that dual steering can actually be a nightmare.

6- any other thoughts/suggestions?

I appreciate any suggestions and help.

Thanks!

RampageHopUps

The play is needed in the dogbones for flex. A lot of us use EAR foam plugs to put in there and center them.

No need for dual servos, just get one good one.

designed2survive

RampageHopUps said:
The play is needed in the dogbones for flex. A lot of us use EAR foam plugs to put in there and center them. No need for dual servos, just get one good one.
Good to know! I'll leave them alone and I'll also go with a single steering servo. Thanks!

I build for bashing and was thinking about the MT shocks. Anyone knows how much longer they are than the XB ones? Need to factor that in the design of the towers unless there is no need to. Thanks!

phreerider

definitely leave the dog bone float space alone.

heres what you're asking about the shock comparison its a few mm ,

not a big deal on the swap, ball ends are slightly wider in MT set.

i run XB rear shocks on the XB front as well, 7075 front tower gives alot of options. there is much less pressure on the front end in total drive line, bearings, etc. 1/4 " Al is gonna add considerable mass to the total unit the wear rate will be pretty high , definitely up the bearing size all around , the plastic parts like upper/lower out drive links will go fast , get some pics along the way!

Last edited by a moderator:

designed2survive

phreerider said:
definitely leave the dog bone float space alone. heres what you're asking about the shock comparison its a few mm ,

not a big deal on the swap, ball ends are slightly wider in MT set.

i run XB rear shocks on the XB front as well, 7075 front tower gives alot of options. there is much less pressure on the front end in total drive line, bearings, etc. 1/4 " Al is gonna add considerable mass to the total unit the wear rate will be pretty high , definitely up the bearing size all around , the plastic parts like upper/lower out drive links will go fast , get some pics along the way!

Thanks! I'll definitely post pics along the way. Right now I'm waiting for the aluminum to be delivered. If the difference is not that big I'll stick with the XB shocks. I will be making my own towers so I'll make sure they give the shocks a more upright position. Thanks again!

RampageHopUps

If you are making new towers, i would add an extra mounting hole so you can switch back and forth.

designed2survive

The MCD RRV4 body is on its way and should be here by Wednesday. Same as the aluminum sheet! Then I can get started!

designed2survive

sGot the MCD body and my aluminum sheets. Test fiting the body.

The front still has a good 1.5" room to go down.

Time to design the towers. Part of me wants to have the shocks tucked in under the body in the rear but I may make the towers wide enough to have them outside. What do you guys think? inside or outside?

Thanks!

phreerider

man thats a nice shell, OUTSIDE ! then outside cage parts protect shell from busting, cage needs to flow with shell lines ...yeah man that be mad hot , with lights and stuff tucked under if you want.

i really like its nice and wide with some depth tower to tower , nice choice.

designed2survive

phreerider said:
man thats a nice shell, OUTSIDE ! then outside cage parts protect shell from busting, cage needs to flow with shell lines ...yeah man that be mad hot , with lights and stuff tucked under if you want. i really like its nice and wide with some depth tower to tower , nice choice.
Thanks! I'm leaning toward outside too! The flow with the shell line is a great idea! I'll give it a try! Thanks again!

carp boyz

Banned
excellent lookin body,nice choice

should be interesting once finished

I'm actually doin something a bit similar,swapped out the shocks on my mt to xb shocks,custom shock towers and bracing along with a new 7075 chassis shortened appr 20mm with a hormann beetle body

are you fabbin your own chassis?

designed2survive

carp boyz said:
excellent lookin body,nice choiceshould be interesting once finished

I'm actually doin something a bit similar,swapped out the shocks on my mt to xb shocks,custom shock towers and bracing along with a new 7075 chassis shortened appr 20mm with a hormann beetle body

are you fabbin your own chassis?
Cool! Thanks! Yes I am.

designed2survive

phreerider said:
wow thats thick !
From what I have read it seems that chassis flex is a big issue for the XB/XT. Trying to eliminate it as much as possible.

phreerider

chassis flex is an issue, for the most part its because added mass to out drives with larger tire, wheel, adapter, bearings etc, then triple the power the stock is gonna yield...for stock weight stuff its plenty.

whats the weight? might think about jumping into MT outdrive plastic parts but with 7075rc carriers that will definitely handle the added mass. Super fat XB chassis with MT plastic...gotta love custom!

thanks for pics

designed2survive

phreerider said:
chassis flex is an issue, for the most part its because added mass to out drives with larger tire, wheel, adapter, bearings etc, then triple the power the stock is gonna yield...for stock weight stuff its plenty. whats the weight? might think about jumping into MT outdrive plastic parts but with 7075rc carriers that will definitely handle the added mass. Super fat XB chassis with MT plastic...gotta love custom!

thanks for pics
Would the MT outdrives fit the XB? For the plastic parts are you referring to the arms? Thanks!

7075rc parts are definitely on the list. I'll start with the gear plate before expanding to the rest of the buggy.

This is where it's at, raw first cut of chassis and rear tower that need to be finished.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts