• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

My Rampage XB project

Greggfromohio

I had problems with the regular ones developing air leaks so I switched to aluminum and have been happy with it. Just thought I'd mention it.

carp boyz

Banned
designed2survive said:
No, I ordered a regular zenoah one.
one of the carb manifolds is better than the other,can't remember if it's the cy or the zen,I do know the brownish colored one is better than the black one,black one warps way too easily

anyways build looks killer,got any plans with adding some color to your custom aluminum parts? would be cool

designed2survive

Greggfromohio said:
I had problems with the regular ones developing air leaks so I switched to aluminum and have been happy with it. Just thought I'd mention it.
Thanks! I have been lucky with the stock one for almost 3 years that's why I went with a stock one again. But I hear you about leaks. If this one gives me any trouble I'll get the aluminum one.

Last edited by a moderator:

designed2survive

carp boyz said:
one of the carb manifolds is better than the other,can't remember if it's the cy or the zen,I do know the brownish colored one is better than the black one,black one warps way too easily
LOL! Lucky me I think I got the black one! Funny part is the brown one is a cy and is less expensive! We'll see how it goes!

carp boyz said:
anyways build looks killer,got any plans with adding some color to your custom aluminum parts? would be cool
Thanks! I may get them powder-coated if I'm fully satisfied with the pieces.

carp boyz

Banned
Phill said:
I find the Zen ones better that stock but in my opinion you can't beat the aluminium DDM one with the Teflon gaskets.
we're running 5 OBR fullmods at the moment and we couldn't keep a Zen manifold on it for long,cy's last us 2 to 3 times longer

perhaps the fullmods are a bit harder on them

Phill

carp boyz said:
we're running 5 OBR fullmods at the moment and we couldn't keep a Zen manifold on it for long,cy's last us 2 to 3 times longerperhaps the fullmods are a bit harder on them
Maybe I overtightened mine ??

Ice_2k

Do you change the oil weight depending on the surface you're about to run?

@Rob Why do you keep the front so low? I saw most people recommend a heavier oil in the front diff.

phreerider

most of the suggestions are with units that have a center planetary differential like losi/mcd so alot more power distribution going on there, with fixed center its not as critical , needs to be steerable for surface basically. too stiff in the back and it just pushes around instead of "steers" plus really hi viscosity like for sand can be brutal on drive train.

i like throttle steer for loose surface, which on tarmac is grippy and sensitive for off throttle steer. low in the back is good start and makes it fun driveable , the front is pilots choice and typical surface

Ice_2k

got it, thanks for the explanation. Do you know what are the weights of the oils the car comes with?

designed2survive

phreerider said:
most of the suggestions are with units that have a center planetary differential like losi/mcd so alot more power distribution going on there, with fixed center its not as critical , needs to be steerable for surface basically. too stiff in the back and it just pushes around instead of "steers" plus really hi viscosity like for sand can be brutal on drive train. i like throttle steer for loose surface, which on tarmac is grippy and sensitive for off throttle steer. low in the back is good start and makes it fun driveable , the front is pilots choice and typical surface
Great explanation!

Ildy666

I would change the diff fluid.wait to u see what's in there.....black gunk....

Most do it before problems happen...plus good piece of mind and if u do that temper the diff. cups while in there and sleeve them...

Ice_2k

What do you mean by "temper the diff cups"?

P.S. Will any diff oil do? Unfortunately no hobby shop in my country works with 5th scale, so all they got is diff oil for 8th scale and smaller. Will such an oil be ok or should I purchase it from abroad?

RampageHopUps

Tempering the diff cups is a good idea. Just use a propane or Oxy torch to heat the cups up to cherry red. Then let them slowly cool down under a ceramic mug. The slower they cool the better it will be.

You can use any 1/8 scale diff oil. its all the same stuff.

RampageHopUps

Ice_2k said:
Do you change the oil weight depending on the surface you're about to run?@Rob Why do you keep the front so low? I saw most people recommend a heavier oil in the front diff.
Most people are kooks I guess. It really depends on your surfaces, loose sand, pavement, grass, etc.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts