• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

My First E-Dune Runner

mulepic

Here is the front motor mount. The 3 screws screw into motor endbell like a traditional mount. But then the mount is two pieces that are held in place w/ screws from the top for easy removal and a key-way

7833158552_6f206fa6d3_z.jpg

Here are both mounts sitting in the chassis. The clutch bell spins freely :)

7833159436_c5dac1a7e5_z.jpg

Now I need to screw the motor mounts to the bottom of the chassis.

mulepic

I'm hoping the delrin works out too b/c I just bolted it to the chassis. I just need to bolt the front mount next.

The ESC I ordered hasn't shown up yet but I think I can hook my RX8 up to it on 5s just to test this thing out. I still need to build some braces before this thing see some real action; during this conversion I can see some potential weak spots I'd like to beef up.

mulepic

Well I bolted down the front and rear motor mount. It seems pretty solid but I'd still like to make some bracing to tie it into the shock tower and diff. mount. But I'll save that for another day.

Next I need to remake the clutch carrier out of aluminum. That may happen in the morning. Once the carrier is done I should be able to test it out w/ minimal power.

mulepic

I remade the clutch carrier out of aluminum and just need to tap a couple of holes. Once that is done I think I can power the motor to see how things turn. I'll get a picture of the clutch carrier.

mulepic

Here are the final pieces made for the motor mount and assembly. I test drove it in the garage/driveway and it actually goes. I'm not running a clutch spring at the moment to see how temps are but the clutch works exactly as expected. While holding the car in place the clutch slips for a bit then grabs and spins the tires. It's cool.

clutch carrier

7844066054_e590067c3b_z.jpg

7844066404_4d767a84d4_z.jpg

mounted in the car

7844066248_cd4f225342_z.jpg

mulepic

Thanks, I'm looking forward to testing it out thoroughly. But it'll be a while before it's track worthy. I need to make battery mounts, decide on what size batteries, rear shock brace, loctite everything, etc, etc. But at least it moves.

mulepic

I just read (more carefully) the features of the 120A HV YEP ESC I have ordered. I'm a little concerned. It has this feature:

"Blocked rotation protection"

I purchased the programmer too but I cannot see that I can disable this feature. I'm hoping the inertia of the car isn't seen as a 'blocked rotation' That would be a bummer.

mulepic

From reading I cannot find out how this 'blocked rotation protection' works. I see novak has an esc w/ 'locked rotor protection' which I have to imagine is similar. What I cannot find is if the esc using current or motor phase to figure out a motor is blocked/locked. If it's a missing motor phase I think we'll be OK but if it's based on current we might be still OK. If it's based on a current spike for a duration we should be fine but if it's simply a current spike from the nominal current then that could be an issue.

This feature seems to be specific to helicopter and planes. I guess maybe when they crash the esc will not self destruct trying to turn a prop that is buried in the ground. Anyone now about these things?

DUFFY

Ground esc are made to handle the larger amp spikes that cars use. The blocked rotation protection is kinda rare in none name brand esc, not sure if any one will tell you how they do it, its kinda a trade secret. Most will just fry out when stalling, even name brand ones. You want that feature if your esc has it. It should not stop your car from moving, the clutch would trick the system anyway I would think.

120 amps is not a lot of head room with that motor, even with the low gearing and clutch. Worst case you might need a MgM compro esc, as its the best option for hv systems we have at the moment. Good luck with that esc though, the clutch might help, it might be fine. Your going to have to test it to be sure. Other than asking the FE boat guys its hard to get info other than tid bits from people that have working systems.

Last edited by a moderator:

mulepic

Funny you should ask. This is on 5s and still plenty of power to spin the tires. And I installed the clutch spring.

mulepic

this one works better:

Please ignore my wiring job. I still need to build battery mounts and place the esc/reciever, bec, etc.

mulepic

DUFFY said:
Ground esc are made to handle the larger amp spikes that cars use. The blocked rotation protection is kinda rare in none name brand esc, not sure if any one will tell you how they do it, its kinda a trade secret. Most will just fry out when stalling, even name brand ones. You want that feature if your esc has it. It should not stop your car from moving, the clutch would trick the system anyway I would think. 120 amps is not a lot of head room with that motor, even with the low gearing and clutch. Worst case you might need a MgM compro esc, as its the best option for hv systems we have at the moment. Good luck with that esc though, the clutch might help, it might be fine. Your going to have to test it to be sure. Other than asking the FE boat guys its hard to get info other than tid bits from people that have working systems.
You bring up good points. I think the 120a esc will work fine b/c the motor tops out at 100a. Also if you look closely at the e-bike and e-cart they use these same esc's so I think we'll be ok. But you are right, need to do a bunch of testing to know or sure. I hope I don't have to buy an MGM, I'll sell it first.

G

That's too cool. Very impressive maiden run! The clutch works great!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts