• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

My First E-Dune Runner

mulepic

There's a lot of first on this build for me. It's my first Redcat, my first 5th scale, and AFAIK the 1st brushless dune runner. I'm hoping I'm wrong on the last one and can get some help. From the initial look of it, the easiest route would be the casle xl2 w/ motor. From my measurements (please confirm) the gears sit on a 8mm shaft and that's the size of castle motor shaft. But I'd still have to build some mounting brackets. Before I go that route I'd like to consider dual 1/8 brushless motors for kicks and grins.

But here is what I have to start with:

7750122012_46256f64bf_z.jpg

7750124210_1fda6d5092_z.jpg

And of course I'll be selling this motor so contact me if you want it before I post it for sale to the world:

7750122264_3e1c2c90ec_z.jpg

motor

7750123926_03b547d639_z.jpg

G

Guantanamo Joe said:
Did you buy that new from redcat? That air filter does not look like any of the ones on my trucks :(
That's new for Redcat. As they replenish inventory the new ones come in with that filter.

G

mulepic said:
There's a lot of first on this build for me. It's my first Redcat, my first 5th scale, and AFAIK the 1st brushless dune runner. I'm hoping I'm wrong on the last one and can get some help. From the initial look of it, the easiest route would be the casle xl2 w/ motor. From my measurements (please confirm) the gears sit on a 8mm shaft and that's the size of castle motor shaft. But I'd still have to build some mounting brackets. Before I go that route I'd like to consider dual 1/8 brushless motors for kicks and grins.But here is what I have to start with:

7750122012_46256f64bf_z.jpg

7750124210_1fda6d5092_z.jpg

And of course I'll be selling this motor so contact me if you want it before I post it for sale to the world:

7750122264_3e1c2c90ec_z.jpg

motor

7750123926_03b547d639_z.jpg
This is going to be a cool build!

mulepic

If I go the single motor route I think I'm going to follow this build: http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23529 The nice thing is I have metal gears where this build did not.

I just measured. The shaft of the single motor option needs to be 1.5" long. I need to go check the castle motor and others.

mulepic

So it looks like the castle 2028 only has a 1.2" shaft length and I cannot get the details on the leopard 5698. My other concern is my gearing is much higher than the gearing used in the brushless conversion link above.

mulepic

I just manually figured out that my FDR is 8.8:1. I figured this out by counting the number of times the pinion needs to go around to spin the wheels 1 full revolution. That seems really high. So a 750kv motors might be too high for this thing.

G

mulepic said:
I just manually figured out that my FDR is 8.8:1. I figured this out by counting the number of times the pinion needs to go around to spin the wheels 1 full revolution. That seems really high. So a 750kv motors might be too high for this thing.
Most of the electric motors are higher reving than the gassers. You can just gear it down on the gear plate, right?

G

Oh yeah.... There's always a bigger motor. :D

Some of the motors the guys are installing in the XBEs are in the 10hp range.

mulepic

So I was able to increase my FDR to 10:1 by switching the transfer gears (for lack of a better term) from 25->24 to 24->25. So w/ the 780kv castle on 8s that puts my speed at 45mph. That seems a little too fast. On 6s it's 35mph but 6s might draw way too much current.

The other major hurdle is mounting the motor to the existing motor plate. The shaft on the motor is .620" too short. I could bore the bearing hole about .140" deeper before the motor bottoms out but that's still .480" shy. The only thing I can think to do is build a coupling.

G

So I was able to increase my FDR to 10:1 by switching the transfer gears (for lack of a better term) from 25->24 to 24->25. So w/ the 780kv castle on 8s that puts my speed at 45mph. That seems a little too fast. On 6s it's 35mph but 6s might draw way too much current.
45.. Too fast!? No way, unless you plan on just running really tight tracks. 35 is about stock speed for the gasser you just yanked out.

Deluge

Guantanamo Joe said:
Did you buy that new from redcat? That air filter does not look like any of the ones on my trucks :(
Just as crappy as the old filter, dude. Lol.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.