• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

MT trophy truck project

G

Well I have had my mt v3 for about a month now. I've got it broken in and tuned fairly well. So now it is time to do something more than just beat it to death. After reading almost the entire forum and finding as many pics as possible. I have been inspired. I am going to document my build the best I can. I hope you will enjoy this thread. I hope some of you will also be inspired.

To start, I decided to make a trip to Harbor Freight. I needed a toolbox with some storage for just my rc parts. I must say I love Harbor Freight. They always have just what I need and for crazy cheap prices, especially when you save coupons. I found this 4 drawer toolbox / cart for $99.00. They have a wall mount storage bin set that fit on the botom for $8.99. These are great for all the extra parts.

G

Next I will be adding all sorts of goodies. I started with a jetpro pipe, engine mount and blue pull start cover from python. I noticed when installing the pipe that I had lost the screws and spacers for the left side of the engine. I have no idea how long I had been running it that way. :eek: I also installed a aluminum pull start handle from ada racing. I must say the jetpro is a night and day difference from the x-can that I started out with. You can see the chrome engine cover as well in the pics. Makes her look like she runs, great!

jetpro.jpg

engine mount.jpg

pull starter.jpg

jetpro.jpg

engine mount.jpg

pull starter.jpg

/monthly_2011_09/jetpro.jpg.c42b6d552bdfa83d8b23c98cd3a738c1.jpg

/monthly_2011_09/583c606208108_enginemount.jpg.e8fe6ff7f80fa3f93d78131d68729553.jpg

/monthly_2011_09/583c60620a977_pullstarter.jpg.ee9e49b26786b7060e2b10721c553d87.jpg

G

I added a flysky gt3b. By far the best radio for the buck! Super easy to program and bind. I needed the third channel for all the lights I got from Killer RC, to be installed at a later time. I added a 5000 mah battery pack from python. You can see the charger plug mounted to the outside of her battery box. I added a killer bee v2 kill switch with the external led. I must say I wish the radio / battery box was twice the size. I think when I add all the lights I will be shortening all the cables and solder and shrink wrap to get rid of some of the plugs. Her box is stuffed! :D I added a intake and stack with k&N filter from largscale rc. I covered it up with a outerware prefilter purchased from large scale rc. I really like how the orange looks with the chrome I think I will have to order a orange pull start from turtle racing. Ill have to remember to take a pic.

flysky.jpg

kb2 led.jpg

top view.jpg

flysky.jpg

kb2 led.jpg

top view.jpg

/monthly_2011_09/flysky.jpg.af8c4675d8531459c8b5ad43cade4915.jpg

/monthly_2011_09/583c60620f2f1_kb2led.jpg.73bacd0784465f616e92b699281c2b21.jpg

/monthly_2011_09/583c6062110cd_topview.jpg.8de6c5890158c3890f46476cc3e0fdc3.jpg

Last edited:
G

For the other side I added some braid for the fuel lines with filter and a blue double sided choke lever all from python. Not to get off the subject but has every one seen the delivery chick at the bottem of the python purchase / shipping page. I keep looking for her when the parts come. I painted the center of the gears just to dress them up. I was hoping the pretty gears would make me happy until demon releases the belt drive and two speed. It didn't work I still really want both from demon. I also had to get the aluminum fuel tank cap from nitro rc.

right side.jpg

gears.jpg

right side.jpg

gears.jpg

/monthly_2011_09/583c606212e76_rightside.jpg.ac91c62029b9cd38dab25cd965707897.jpg

/monthly_2011_09/gears.jpg.eae00ec820283fefe342fbdad532574c.jpg

G

Thats about all I can install at this time. I have some aluminum suspension parts but still waiting on more. I want to purchase the titanium turnbuckle set from python but they are back ordered:( I think I will be starting on the cage. I already cut the last virgin asgard body available. I was lucky to come across it. No one seems to be getting more in. Hopfully I wont jack it up. I trimmed the raised section off the bed. I will neaten it up after I build the trophy type cage. I love all the room under the asgard. This is all I can do to her body until the cage is complete! :D I did this over the past couple of days. I'll show more when I get the cage complete. I will be starting it some time next week. I need to get some tubing.I noticed the progress bar on top of the upload page. Can some one please tell me what happens when it is full? I am assuming that some of the photos will have to be removed when it is full befor I can add more.

virgin asgard body.jpg

cut asgard.jpg

asgard top.jpg

virgin asgard body.jpg

cut asgard.jpg

asgard top.jpg

/monthly_2011_09/583c60621681c_virginasgardbody.jpg.d4129f3ffffdfc21054a9c8dfb18d879.jpg

/monthly_2011_09/583c606218541_cutasgard.jpg.50db09a7f22aa0e1238245182c0a0f89.jpg

/monthly_2011_09/583c60621a436_asgardtop.jpg.1a00a0c4ab9a31eb958e605961e079d5.jpg

Last edited:

DemonRC

Good looking truck there. I'm looking forward to seeing the cage build.

Oh also, you are limited on how many attachements you can have represented by that bar. Then you have to remove some to add more.

P.S. a blue alloy Python choke lever would look good too. I've always had one on any 668 I'm running.

G

Yeah, I saw those. I might have to try one. They are cooler. I wasn't sure if it stuck out far enough. I thought it might be hard to get my fingers between the fuel lines.

G

Thanks all.

Since I can't find any more Asgard bodies, I went ahead and ordered a Woodster wide body. I read another thread that said they are way to big. The measurements I found has the wheel well centers just a few centimeters longer than the wheelbase of the mt. 51 vs 55cm. The Asgard body is the exact same as the mt. I think someone needs to get their hands on that mold:rolleyes: Keep in mind, the stock body has is 45 cm from center to center on the wheel well openings. So it is off more but on the smaller side. I might have to do some minor trimming but that's ok the more custom the better. I will post pics as soon as I get it.

I wanted an available body so I am not making a cage for one I can't get anymore. I am hoping I can make both bodies fit on my cage.

MTMIKE

I have to ask about those gears. I have a V3 and mine are nothing like that. Who makes them and do them come with complete assembled transmission?

G

Yup, correct-o-mondo. They are the factory steel gears that came on the truck. I painted them and replaced the nuts with some stainless ones. I did forget to mention the 8500 rpm clutch from python hiding behind them. I am anticipating the release of the belt drive and the 2 speed from Demon RC. So no plans to replace them until then. :)

Last edited:

Stricnine

cool truck, what the blue thing that sticks out on top of the roll cage. is that for the spark plug to fit? mines flat

G

Just a spray paint cap. Lol. There are no body mounts yet. Its just there to hold up the body for reference. I'm in the process of building a custom cage for her. I'm about 1/2 way there. I'm waiting for the woodster body before I finish it. I want the cage to look good with both bodies. I am making front and back bumpers also. The body should be here this weekend. So I'm hoping I can finish the welding next week. Then take it in for some chrome! I love the bling.

G

I have just about completed my cage. I still have to add the rear body posts. As soon as I clean up the welds a little I will take it to get chromed or powder coated. Still deciding. I left openings in the bottom side of some tubes to run wires for lights up to the light bar and out back for tail lights.

b95753b8.jpg

G

Here are some photos with it on the truck. It mounts to the chassis where the original cage bolted and to both body post mounts as well as the bumper mounts. A total of 8 locations. The chassis has no flex with the cage on.

-

bfeac5ff.jpg

-

The cage will also hold my silencer for when I have a headache. Lol

-

Front view.

-

b6020533.jpg

-

Back views

-

9a4a1288.jpg

-

e003af88.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts