• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Help with choosing a pipe

Guantanamo Joe

probably a little bit of both...

I loved the X-Can, but when I put the ported head on my DR I wanted to try to squeese all the power out that I could, so I bought the Dominator.

Chief409

This will do, till I run out this CY. I'm saving my pennies for one of the OBR 8.5 HP engines.

And...

Tow straps don't do you any good when they are in the pit 1/4 mile away. A drift pin came out of the left rear, leaving the tire, wheel and adapter right at my feet. Reached for the tow strap, and I won't write what I was saying! Good thing I had a replacement drift pin in the 20 year box. Ran the tank out thru the X-Can, not on the dirt.

G

Wow, sounds like its performing great for you. Good to hear.

Chief409

RCDAD said:
Wow, sounds like its performing great for you. Good to hear.
It's a blast now! :D

You wouldn't have the part numbers handy for the air filters would you. Towards the end of a tank the filters are so dirty they're choking the engine, so I'm going to order some.

G

I would suggest upgrading to a hpi filter. The Redcat filters are not the best.

Chief409

RCDAD said:
I would suggest upgrading to a hpi filter. The Redcat filters are not the best.
Just ordered 2 DT1 triple filters, plus a Outerwears for them. Only, the TGN Velocity stack to mount them on is out of stock. Sigh.

Thanks for the advice. One tank, stop, clean,dry and oil the filter cuts into the run time!

Last edited by a moderator:

Chief409

Now that the DR is running well, when we go to the ocean over Thanksgiving, the seagulls won't be happy with me. :) I can sit on top of the seawall, and chase them all over!

G

Just watch out as the seagulls will bomb you and your DR. LOL

Chief409

Seagulls and I go waaaay back. I went to Boot Camp at San Diego. Dixie Cup hats were seagull bombing targets! :( Or going back home from a college class in a MG Midget with the top down, before I joined the Navy, and the seagull missed, hit the windshield instead of in my face while I was on the I5.

Nasty buggers.

But last year there was a Penguin on the beach there. There's a colony of Sea Lions near by, the little guy was afraid to get back in the water. Wouldn't even head that way when a little 4 year old girl was chasing after it.

Chief409

The flags mark where our trailer will sit, I'll be sitting on the rocks driving the DR.

OBTW, the RV park is at NAS Pt Mugu, Oxnard, CA. 120 miles by road from home. I get there a day or so before the crowd, that way I get our favorite spot.

The Mobile Condo and Shop.

Lots of years, lots of stories. Good, Bad, and Indifferent. Bottom line, have a goal and go. Don't let anyone tell you "you can't do that" and give in.

Chief409

I sent Dino at JetPro a follow up about the Dune Runner 4X4 rear exhaust pipe question. I'll update with his reply.

Here is the text of my email to Dino

Dino, just following up on an earlier email re: a rear exhaust pipe for the RedCat Dune Runner 4X4. There is still a lot of intrest expressed in the Red Cat Rapmpage forums for one of these, and I'm considering an OBR replacement engine myself, that won't really work with a X-Can. What can I say, I have 5 rigs and only 1 is stock!

And a rear exhaust, protected by the roll cage is the preferred pipe. Do you have some encourging words I can pass on?

Jeff Pelton

Rosamond, CA

aka Chief409

Chief409

Some tips from OBR on breaking in an engine.

August Engine Break-in Procedure

New engine break-in procedure

1. Take it easy on the engine for the first two tanks

2. Heat cycle twice, run the engine for 20 minutes and let it fully cool down

3. We recommend 91 octane fuel, mixed at 25:1 Our preffered oil is Castor 927

4. Let your engine warm up before driving

5. Try to vary the rpms during breaking.

5. DO NOT HOLD FULL THROTTLE UNTIL THE ENGINE IS COMPLETELY BROKEN IN!!!

7. Do not use octane booster

Posted in Tech Info By Sean O'Neill

More here:

http://www.oneillbrothers.com/blog/breakin

Guantanamo Joe

Hell, Chief... I cant control it at 45-50... ha ha ha

My poor dunerunner has been sitting in the Garage for the last few bash sessions. Since she has the street tires, she does not come to play with the MT and SC out at the excavation site... Going to have to get back to the go kart track one day so I can fire her up again.

Chief409

Guantanamo Joe said:
Hell, Chief... I cant control it at 45-50... ha ha ha.
I know what you mean. When I went to the Big Playground with hard surface runs I fired mine down the straightaway and WHOA, BRAKE CHECK, EXPO! :eek:

Fun, isn't it? ;)

Chief409

I have some small, flimsy cones. Think I'll mark off a finish line 300' down the road and get a rough top speed. Don't need a finish line flagger, when the DR blows 'em away I'll stop timing. One thousand and one, one thousand and two, one thousand and STRIKE!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.