• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Demon RC - Competition Belt Drive Pics

tectic

Man that is looking great

been watching this progress and can't wait for these to hit the market

bye bye gears

keep up the good work guys

Just one question

How do you tension the drive belt?

Last edited by a moderator:

DemonRC

tectic said:
Man that is looking great
been watching this progress and can't wait for these to hit the market

bye bye gears

keep up the good work guys

Just one question

How do you tension the drive belt?
LOL.. tensioner huh? Well that's a story. We spent over $300 on the first prototype of the tensioner which fell off somewhere in a field back in June. After losing it with $20 worth of bearings and a $5 spring we said to hell with it and continued testing the durability of the belts. We have yet to strip of tooth off a belt or slip the belt. These are also T5 belts which have small teeth on them too. I send Rob a big ole handful of the belts cause I won't need them. I've been pounding on the same ole blue belt all summer and fall without a tensioner.

The latest revision includes a new HTD 5M belt which has much much larger teeth and is rated at twice the breaking strength of the old T5's. I've never slipped the old belt and dam sure will never slip this one. The pulley combinations we use and will sell are already dam near perfect in taking up all the slack out of the belts. Engineers at Goodyear and a few other manufacturers have seen pictures I've sent and they all concurr we won't have a problem with such a small belt being driven in this setup. If the engine turned clockwise and the tension on the belt was on the bottom instead of the top we would have a problem, however, that isn't the case.

wolfen

sorry to jack this thread but is there a chance you,ll make these for the FS buggies since the mcd one wont work

DemonRC

wolfen said:
sorry to jack this thread but is there a chance you,ll make these for the FS buggies since the mcd one wont work
Actually, that's a good question. The MCD setup will work if you perform the engine mods all MCD users have to do to get the engine in their cars. Check MCD's site for details on the engine mods they do. This is acutally a good thing since it allows FS guys to have their engines sitting much lower in the car.

Check our site for more information on it in the upcoming weeks. Especially concerning FS/MCD. I'm sure Rob, the forum owner, won't appreciate taking up disk space or bandwidth on MCD stuff.

wolfen

thanx for the info

is there any probs using this belt system for offroad with debris getting stuck in it

airflow

that looks amazing.

the price looks very resonable also. i am thinking the current upgrade setup cost about $150, and you might have to replace some parts in the future.

al gear plate $70

metel gears $50

bearings `$10

shafts and hubs`$10

DemonRC

wolfen said:
thanx for the info
is there any probs using this belt system for offroad with debris getting stuck in it
I remember getting rocks stuck in my old HPI RS4's belts once in a while so I can see it happening even though I haven't had it happen to me yet. Dirt won't bother it any. Small rocks and debris under 3/16" will most likely just roll through the belt and pulley. Something 1/4" would probably lock it up. We tested the MCD two speed which sticks way out without the plastic side gaurd on. Basically the pulleys were just floating over the ground and never had problems. Actually, a few of those pulleys we used are permenantly dyed green from all the field grass they chewed up.

scaremonger

I just started reading this post and its very interesting. What are the edvatages to this set up? And how can you change the gearing for low or high? Plus under $200 is not a bad price for something like this knowing the benifits.

DemonRC

scaremonger said:
I just started reading this post and its very interesting. What are the edvatages to this set up? And how can you change the gearing for low or high? Plus under $200 is not a bad price for something like this knowing the benifits.
Different pulley sizes will be available just like gears.

iwik76

Just saw the new updates on the web page.. really liking the look of the belt drive... Also can't wait to see if the two speed works out..

Keep up the good work Demon

DemonRC

iwik76 said:
Just saw the new updates on the web page.. really liking the look of the belt drive... Also can't wait to see if the two speed works out..
Keep up the good work Demon
Heya. I'm glad somebody is visiting the site :) OH, also, I got my hopes on the pawl and catch 2 speed failing miserably cause my 2nd design is gonna blow that thing out of the water if we can get somebody to machine a special spline shaft on the clutchbell and layshaft. Finishing that one is just gonna take some extra cash. We'll have an announcement on where the "multispeed" testing stands sometime next month.

DemonRC

New update:

1) We've just received our production belts. The final kevlar versions are much stronger than the steel coorded belts first mentioned in the post.

2) We're going to get pushed back into March for release due to another go around with prototype parts. We want to make sure the tolerances are perfect before we place a production order. We're being anal on the tolerances but I'm sure you guys will appreciate it when your putting the system in your cars.

iwik76

Thank you for the update demon.. being anal is fine you can't rush perfection... and it gives me a bit longer to save...!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts