• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Anyone ever tried a Rotostart on a Redcat?

Deluge

RampageHopUps said:
You should watch some videos of how to tune your engine. If you need starter fluid and any more than 3 pulls, there is something wrong.
Completely agree.

delta_kilo

I completely disagree. It isn't the tune but to each there own. Here a video of the main Redcat guy trying to start a XB without using the chock. It wont start. When he figures out the choke wasn't on 20 minutes later it starts. It's not the tune. I think we can stop beating a dead horse. The 990 carb has no choke so we have all figured out little tricks to start them.

delta_kilo

That's not the point. It's not a tune issue. LOL Try to start your stock Rampage without using the choke. Same issue 990 carbs have. No choke. We really are beating a dead horse at this time.

RampageHopUps

What we are beating is you should not be using starter fluid to get your engine going. Most of us with 990 carbs have learned other ways to start them when its cold out. I prefer a plastic bag to choke it for the first 2 pulls.

delta_kilo

To each there own. I have no plans to stop using the starter fluid.

G

Honestly my 990 does not start like a 668 or the stock carb with no choke. It starts easier than my stock carbs with the choke. I can't speak about how it would be in the really cold weather. Mid day cold temps would be 60deg here. :) I can say the 990 does great in the AZ climate.

alfred e numan

60 degrees?- man, i miss Ajo in the winter months. We went directly from summer to winter up here- no fall or even an indian summer-snowing @ 2,500 feet- I am at 1,850 at the house-- no high wind warnings-- so far, lol.

G

The 60s are still a month or two out. It currently still reaches high 80s to low 90s in the afternoon. :D

DMZamora

Just to give some feedback on the main subject of this topic ;)

Bought a rotostart system just to be on the safe side with my new 990. On the first testing still on the bench, there was an awful metallic impact noise on every turn of the engine. Probably the expanding stroke makes the flywheel momentarily move faster than the starter, and when the compression stroke begins there's a strong impact when the starter reaches the flywheel again.

Besides this, I decided to try it. Well, the thing broke the two flywheel "teeth" on the 3rd attempt to start the engine.

GoffeeRedCat

DMZamora said:
Just to give some feedback on the main subject of this topic ;) Bought a rotostart system just to be on the safe side with my new 990. On the first testing still on the bench, there was an awful metallic impact noise on every turn of the engine. Probably the expanding stroke makes the flywheel momentarily move faster than the starter, and when the compression stroke begins there's a strong impact when the starter reaches the flywheel again.

Besides this, I decided to try it. Well, the thing broke the two flywheel "teeth" on the 3rd attempt to start the engine.
you should have waited for the Killer RC roto start!! no worries about broken fly wheels with that one!

Chief409

I have a Killer RC prototype starter on mine, with the one way bearing on the drill motor, not on the engine - it's KILLER! Using a 18V drill motor there is no need to use the choke.

blak__jak

if you read back on page 3 of this post you'll see i had pretty much the same problem with integy part # BAJ152BLUE destroyed my flywheel first start. still got it if anybody wants to bust theirs up.

G

It will be nice if the Killer RC version proves itself to be reliable. I've never heard of any others going the distance.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.