• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Anyone ever tried a Rotostart on a Redcat?

REVOlutionary Rampage

I just use velcro. Voila no body pins :D but you'll want to make sure the body is stuck solidly on before you go out. :) . I might try a roto or electric start but my truck (knock on wood) has been going good lately so there is no need to.

cherryride

Pull starting is hard on old fart hands like mine and bad shoulder joints don't help.

Using a drill starter makes play time alot more fun for old folks like me! lol

Chief409

Hope Killer RC has plenty of their roto starts in the initial batch. From reading other Large Scale Forums there appears to be plenty of interest once the notice from Killer was published. The pre release link also appears on the RC Car Action site now.

I'm still waiting for the raw spots on my fingers to heal after trying to get the DR started after it flooded. I know flooding will not be as large an issue with a electric starter. Constant high RPM equals hotter spark from the magneto over a longer duration then you will ever achieve with a recoil starter. You sure won't get bloody fingers. Won't need starter fluid in most cases either.

Why work at playing?

Wonder if OuterWears will come out with something for the Killer RC roto start.

Last edited by a moderator:

delta_kilo

I could post a video of mine pulling the pull start 10 time or more before it'll start and title it why you do need a roto start. Just sayin. Once it's warn mine will fire up like that. Cold not a chance. I use starter fluid on the air filter and it'll start up in about 4 pulls normally.

G

RampageHopUps said:
You should watch some videos of how to tune your engine. If you need starter fluid and any more than 3 pulls, there is something wrong.
This is soooo true. It's all in your tune.

alfred e numan

RampageHopUps said:
You should watch some videos of how to tune your engine. If you need starter fluid and any more than 3 pulls, there is something wrong.
yea, agree. why beat a dead horse and pull a nut at the same time? I have never pulled the rip cord more than 4 times. chain saw? yes. hobby engine? not a chance.- 99% of the time I light off 1st pull. - load it up with fuel.

delta_kilo

I have watched videos as well as had a few guys I run with that run HPIs and my tune is good. brown paper bag color on plug and once warmed up it runs great. Not having a chock in colder weather makes it a pain in the ass to start. The starter fluid gets the engine started so I'm personally OK with that. No issues once running. And no issues if I shut it down and restart while it's still warm.

I'd just like to point something out. Have you ever tried to start up your weed eater or leaf blower without using the choke? It's damn near impossible to start without using the choke. It's not the tune on the weed eater or leaf blower. Use the choke makes a rich fuel mixture helping the engine start easier. The Walbro 990 carb I have installed on my Dunerunner as we all know doesn't have a choke. I'm basically doing the same thing using starter fluid creating a higher fuel ratio thus making it easier to start with out a choke.

Come on guys one way of doing things doesn't mean it's the only way of doing something. And just because someone does something differently than someone else doesn't mean they are necessarily wrong. I appreciate the feedback but basically just throwing out my tunes bad and I'm clueless on the issue really doesn't help anyone in these kinds of situations. I'm just hoping someone who may have similar results as I have will be able to have another option of helping them start their cats.

Chief409

Nothing wrong with the tune on mine, if I hadn't ripped up my fingers last week, I'd been out running all weekend. It just floods easily when cold. Soon as the fingers get healed I will be out. And I'm sure with a bit more experience with it I'll be starting it with 3 or 4 pulls too.

However, I'll be getting the Killer RC starter for a few reasons. I have a drill motor or two with battery packs and a charger. No recoil starter to break and rebuild or replace. Easier for me to get the DR running and dirty, not waiting for the engine and plug to dry if I flood it. No more bloody fingers (I went past blisters this time, but I REALLY wanted to run).

And running the Dune Runner is why I got it. After all, I start mine in the backyard, run out the gate, up a jump and onto the big playground. No travel involved. :)

RampageHopUps

For the 990 carb, you can use a plastic bag to choke it in the winter. I don;t think starter fliud is good for you carb to get it running each morning.

If your engine doesn;t start on 4 pulls, then you are just going to burn out the rotostart.

alfred e numan

starter fluid-either does have lube in it. very little. its to keep from washing the rings dry. whatever does the trick for ya.- me? i use the squirt bottle with gas mix. ever watch the pros light off a top fuel funny car?- squirt bottle pointed towards the blower-

delta_kilo

hmm I never thought of using fuel. I could give that a shot also. Oh and I think you misunderstood. When I spray a little and we aren't talking dripping wet just a little it will start within 2 to 4 pulls.

blak__jak

try the bag. i've got 2 engines with esp heads and 990's. i was taking the air cleaners off and plugging the hole but that was really a pain especially with outerwears too. i finally broke down and started using the bag trick and found after 4 or 5 pulls they would fire right up. SO much easier! i'm still looking for the right tupperware glass that will fit tight over the hpi filter and produce the same results.

delta_kilo

LOL I'm lazy which is why I started using starter fluid. The bag was to much work. :) I did try it with a little fuel but still the starter fluid works much quicker.

alfred e numan

I run the dt-1 filters. cars are stored with out the filters on them. - more room to wrench on them this way. - 2 strokes pull the fuel up from the bottom end- up tru the transfer ports- thats why i open the throttle wide open with the radio shut off- put about 4-5 drops on the hole-turn the engine over- give it a mist of gas- then start as usual.- yea, its sorta a hassle-naa, the filters off any ways- just put the filter on-break out the 5/16 screwdriver- good to go. when you do this to a cold engine in good condition, its gonna have a lot of compression- aside from the added pull required, it makes it light off even faster.

alfred e numan

yea, the members that live in the desert -gas vaporizes better in warmer weather- also, the pump gas is formulated diffrently in warmer climates- this makes it even more easy to start.-- more easy? i cannot spell easyer correctly- decent command of english-- but my spelling-- lol!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.