• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Yet another DuneRunner :)

Ice_2k

I replaced the stock brake spring with 2 other springs which accomplished 2 things:

1. Stiffer spring -> more force on the brakes

2. The springs interlace and reach the maximum compression faster than a single spring. As a result the last 5% of the travel of the servo, the linkage actually bends ever so slightly, so the full force of the servo (given the existing linkage) is applied.

The result was actually quite good. Applying full brake locks the wheels even at speed, but I still have the option for progressive braking (which I lost initially when I tried using a piece of fuel tube instead of the spring).

Ice_2k

Just finished my 3rd tank, I think it's ready for some WOT :)

Ice_2k

Everything is stock for now. I bought the Jetpro rear mount, 8k clutch, wt-1107, vented clutch housing, velocity stack, intake manifold and I'll be installing them gradually, one at a time.

phreerider

sounded like a catbox, then you got more juice coming! diggin' those tires.

the 8K clutch out of the turns will be scalding! that DR has sweet balance.

Ice_2k

I went out today and gave it all, screams reaaaalllyyy nice at top revs. Tried to tune the carb a bit, but.... the LSN behaves as expected (richening -> revs go down and almost dies, leaning -> revs go up). The HSN however... not sure about this. Either I have no idea what to listen for or it's not doing anything... I tried richening more and more (gave it more than 1/2 turn starting from default settings) and it had no effect, I was expecting it to start making that "underwater" sound but nothing... I played with it a little more and there were mayybbeeee some slight differences (or maybe just placebo). All the videos I watched about this said that 1/8 of a turn makes a big difference, and I could really hear those differences in the videos but today, nothing. After using about an entire tank, I stopped to go home and noticed that my exhaust came loose (not the pipe, but that big black box). Could that have anything to do with this?

rcgasser

You will not hear a difference in the HSN you should tell from it running but the best way to check the HSN is the spark plug. Run away from you at WOT turn come back to you at WOT kill the engine and pull the plug and look for a brown paper bag color.

Ice_2k

Ok, I'll do that. After making adjustments, does the plug change color in just a few seconds like that or do I need to run it more?

Ice_2k

I'm sure he meant too rich :)

Ice_2k

Can I do the same test for the LSN? Letting idle for 1-2 minutes and then checking the color?

phreerider

i use sound more for HSN , start at carb spec settings , esp. for LSN, if low and really poppy lean it out engine will speed up a bit. then WOT passes , find the highest (stable) pitch by small turns 1/8 then 1/16 with HSN ... if its way too rich it will not transition to high or do so sloggishly, to quicken the transition and clean it up go back to LSN and lean it a fraction more. ... and couple passes see if it will wind up and scream at the top.

needs to be warmed up a bit a minute or 2. then start making passes

i would do a plug check after a good peak session at the end.

and for racing i would do hot pass checks but for everything else sound/response is an avenue i use often.

light brown paper bag is perfect,

dark oily , still too rich

keep in mind coniditions , drier and cooler the better,

tank load (for super speedy passes and steep, quick windup) with 1/2 or less will make a difference! full tank you will be a fraction sluggish as it empties better for jumps and speedy stuff. unit load makes a difference.

and stock carb pipe have limits, LSN set and leave it , figure out where the top is and stay around that a click or 2

Ice_2k

I'll play with it some more next time, but my main issue has been not noticing any changes (definetely not for small changes like 1/8 or 1/16). Maybe I could try lifting the car on something and tuning the HSN while on WOT... crazy idea? :)

Ice_2k

I'll give it a try then. Maybe this way I'll pick up on the different tonalities...

Ice_2k

I was thinking about mounting a camera on the car and seeing the video in realtime (on my phone for instance). Any chance of finding something like that with a budget of ~ $300?

therealrsr

Ice_2k said:
I was thinking about mounting a camera on the car and seeing the video in realtime (on my phone for instance). Any chance of finding something like that with a budget of ~ $300?
Several choices but quality will suffer some at that $. I prefer Ready Made RC, but there are several that will pop-up in a google search.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/

Do some research on that site before ordering. If you run 2.4g tx you want to stay away from the frequency or you risk losing control of the car due to noise.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts