• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XB-E upgrade

DemonRC

Ol said:
I'm working on getting the biggest bearings I can on the axles.
I got 10x22x6's to fit but I think I can go bigger.
The 22x10x6's have been working very well so far. I've taken some measurements to see if 24's would fit but I think we would need a modified C-Hub to clear it.

Ol' fart

Hummm

I'm looking at 8mm wide bearings. There would be no "gap", all bearing from inside to outside. I think we would need a modified C-Hub to clear it too.

lateralrectus

doeas anyone know if the new castle 2028 motor will fit right into the rampage xb e? would i need to modify the car to get it in? or will it bolt right in? i don't want to drop $700 before knowing this. i emailed redcat and castle, but got no response. thanks

Ol' fart

Nope

Not even close. stock is about 2.0 round and 3.35 long. the 2028 is 2.2 round and 4.4 long. Even if you got it to fit you would have trouble getting enough batteries in to run it. I not saying it can't be done but.... I think you would need a coustom chassis just to start the project.

DemonRC

Couldn't you guys purchase XT/B center dogbones and just push the center tranny back to the XT/B position to get more room for the longer motors?

Ol' fart

The castle 1717 is pretty easy to put in and you can use the stock ESC too. They dicontinued the 1717 but call them, they may still have some. The car is very fast with this motor.

auto2

very fast is the understatment of the year lol. OMG! stupid fast would be more accurate .

lateralrectus

stupid fast

Isn't the 1717 for 1/8 applications? If I can't get a 1717, what motor would make the xbe a rocket? I have a Team Tekin 2650 Kv in my MRC ZRB-1 buggy (1/8 scale) with Turnigy 4000mah 11.1v x2. That car prob does 75 mph. That would be my standard for comparison. How can I make a 1/5 scale move like that? Do ouy guys think it is unreasobale to make a 1/5 that speed?

Obeast44

Banned
lateralrectus said:
Isn't the 1717 for 1/8 applications? If I can't get a 1717, what motor would make the xbe a rocket? I have a Team Tekin 2650 Kv in my MRC ZRB-1 buggy (1/8 scale) with Turnigy 4000mah 11.1v x2. That car prob does 75 mph. That would be my standard for comparison. How can I make a 1/5 scale move like that? Do ouy guys think it is unreasobale to make a 1/5 that speed?
The 1717 makes the XBe a rocket. Just don't expect it to run cool when geared for higher than 40mph. The 1717 is designed for larger 1/8 applications, like the Losi LST.

You could gear the XBe for 80mph and probably achieve that speed with the 1717 on 6s. BUT itd run VERY hot and probably be uncontrollable at that speed. Heck I cant even control mine at 45mph on pavement.

killajb

Castle Creations 1520 is the proper motor for this car. Plenty of speed(45-50mph), will not overheat using stock gearing. I have a couple of 1717s and both are being used for my Muggy and XXL, respectively.

auto2

first off there is a big difference between top speed and power and a fast car and torque. etc

for me anything over 45 MPH is useless unless you are drag racing or just trying to see how fast it can go. by the time a big rc car gets to that speed you cant even see it in the distance anymore lol.

power to me is Torque. hitting the throttle and watching the car flip over backwords or getting up to half speed and watching the tires totally loose traction when you hit the throttle.

the 1717 is not a 1/8th motor. its too big.

Obeast44

Banned
auto2 said:
first off there is a big difference between top speed and power and a fast car and torque. etc
for me anything over 45 MPH is useless unless you are drag racing or just trying to see how fast it can go. by the time a big rc car gets to that speed you cant even see it in the distance anymore lol.

power to me is Torque. hitting the throttle and watching the car flip over backwords or getting up to half speed and watching the tires totally loose traction when you hit the throttle.

the 1717 is not a 1/8th motor. its too big.
I agree, anything over 40mph for me is a waste.

auto2

killajb said:
Castle Creations 1520 is the proper motor for this car. Plenty of speed(45-50mph), will not overheat using stock gearing. I have a couple of 1717s and both are being used for my Muggy and XXL, respectively.
The 1520 is a higher kv. Than the 1717. I believe.u but how.does.that have a lower top speed? Wouldn't u want a motor more around 1000 kv? 1520 is 1600

killajb

The 1520 provides a greater top speed (higher kv) than the 1717, and actually runs cooler for this application, based on my driving style.

Having a motor with a lower kv rating, and using more imput voltage should reduce motor temps even lower, however since I haven't exceeded 140F with my setup, I don't think it's needed. I have a Hobbywing ESC capable of 12s, maybe I'll use the stock motor in a different application with more voltage and see how it fares.

auto2

Yes but the 1717 is already too fast for any track and gearing down is a iproblem.

hobbsa23

Obeast44 said:
Yes my driving style is a HUGE factor in my temps. I drive my XBe like a "bat outta hell" in grass with WOT runs nonstop. Im trying my best to mimic race conditions, in preperation for the Powerjam in June. Once I get it setup to handle that then I can bash pretty much worry free. I got the CC Blower for $0.99 + $4 shipping. It was cheap enough I figured I would give it a shot. I have an aluminum heatsink w/fan ready to drop in if the CC blower isnt up to the task.
Send me a link on that CC Blower please!! :eek: $.99 can't beat it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts