• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

XB-E upgrade

Ol' fart

You would have to raise the center diff but that would not be hard to do.

bobi

module 1.5 pinion

Horizon Hobbys carries mod 1.5 pinions for 1/5th scale made by Castle Creations. Hope they would work on our XBEs cause mine is stock and I think it has lots of bottom end tork but, top end a couple mph more would be nice. I maxed my timming and all I could get is 35.4 mph on the gps. My plan is to go with 5000 - 8000mah packs an a high discharge C rating 45 or higher. Then go with a taller pinion like a 12T or 14T from Castle Creation. Any imput on this topic would be nice. :D

killajb

I think the gearing is one thing, but the stock motor (and steering servo) leave some things to be desired. If you can, grab a CC 1717 or a 1520 and try that. You shouldn't have any issues with acceleration.

Last edited by a moderator:

Obeast44

Banned
Im actually fairly satisfied with the stock steering servo, considering its only getting 5.75 volts from the ESC. I do have a Hitec 5755 onhand for when it goes though.

I have the 1717 in my XBe and its brutally fast, it just runs hot. Ive already turned the timings and punch all the way down and added the CC blower unit. Temps are still too high for my liking. I have some 8 and 9 tooth pinions to try this weekend, those should help. If I cant get a handle on the temps, I will ditch the 1717 and bite the bullet on a Lehner.

killajb

I ran my 1717 for awhile, but wanted to use that for another project.

Since, I've installed a CC1520 in place (which is pretty close to the stock motors dimensions but 1600kv instead of 980kv). Interesting enough, my 1717 ran warmer (although never hot) than the 1520.

My guess is WOT (wide open er.. um.. "throttle"). Brushless motors in general under no load or loaded don't like to be run full bore for extended periods of time. My 1717s have always had brutal power and low-end torque to throw around my converted Muggy and LST XXL with ease. Top speed I rarely cared about as the vehicles have a relatively high center of gravity and would topple over hundreds of yards away knowing my luck.

With this car, one is more inclined to dart around like a land missile. So I think perhaps your driving style has a hand in things warming up.

To counter this, get a motor that can move the car around proper, but has room to spare in the speed department. Stock pinion with the 1520 on 6s is way proper man. After dumping my 5800 mah packs I'm lookin at 140f, and I live in South Florida!

Ah, one more thing.. the CC blower is neat looking and all that.. but not quite as effective as the blue heatsink/fan combo I referenced earlier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Obeast44

Banned
killajb said:
I ran my 1717 for awhile, but wanted to use that for another project.
Since, I've installed a CC1520 in place (which is pretty close to the stock motors dimensions but 1600kv instead of 980kv). Interesting enough, my 1717 ran warmer (although never hot) than the 1520.

My guess is WOT (wide open er.. um.. "throttle"). Brushless motors in general under no load or loaded don't like to be run full bore for extended periods of time. My 1717s have always had brutal power and low-end torque to throw around my converted Muggy and LST XXL with ease. Top speed I rarely cared about as the vehicles have a relatively high center of gravity and would topple over hundreds of yards away knowing my luck.

With this car, one is more inclined to dart around like a land missile. So I think perhaps your driving style has a hand in things warming up.

To counter this, get a motor that can move the car around proper, but has room to spare in the speed department. Stock pinion with the 1520 on 6s is way proper man. After dumping my 5800 mah packs I'm lookin at 140f, and I live in South Florida!

Ah, one more thing.. the CC blower is neat looking and all that.. but not quite as effective as the blue heatsink/fan combo I referenced earlier.
Yes my driving style is a HUGE factor in my temps. I drive my XBe like a "bat outta hell" in grass with WOT runs nonstop. Im trying my best to mimic race conditions, in preperation for the Powerjam in June. Once I get it setup to handle that then I can bash pretty much worry free. I got the CC Blower for $0.99 + $4 shipping. It was cheap enough I figured I would give it a shot. I have an aluminum heatsink w/fan ready to drop in if the CC blower isnt up to the task.

killajb

Here's some quick shots..

CIMG0116.jpg

CIMG0118.jpg

CIMG0117.jpg

CIMG0119.jpg

CIMG0120.jpg

/monthly_2011_04/CIMG0116.jpg.7402a679a6d28685750d02d699a17ab6.jpg

/monthly_2011_04/CIMG0118.jpg.1341639d30b5c5236c7389324ecca38d.jpg

/monthly_2011_04/CIMG0117.jpg.3e30216e4dd83e0a9eff9c167a072ece.jpg

/monthly_2011_04/CIMG0119.jpg.da73f8f0e1509b10e20e428d052a5bce.jpg

/monthly_2011_04/CIMG0120.jpg.62ab4a5d47cfef3c9e93997d02b96969.jpg

killajb

Hahaha, "...so anal about the heat" I'm not gonna go near that one chap..

Just installed a SportBec to give the steering servo 6v and notice a significant difference. Luckily I had one tethered to an old Mamba Max esc I wasn't using :) Not so sure that the esc puts out even 5.75 v to the servo.. May have to check that with a meter. But for now, it's time to terrorize an empty golf course!

bobi

Xb-e

Well learned some more about the pinions RC-Monster has them for a 5mm shaft on stock motor. I spoke briefly to a tec. guy at castle creations about the 1717 motor he said its not a buggy motor and will have problems of heat because of spike of power from a trigger rather then a stick on a radio. Also, said the shaft should be 8mm for 5th scale. Anyways just a conversation I had with Castle Creations.

DemonRC

bobi said:
Also, said the shaft should be 8mm for 5th scale. Anyways just a conversation I had with Castle Creations.
I'm pretty sure the Castle guys don't even know what a 19 lbs XB/E is. They built their 5th scale setup for 27-33 lbs 5B/T's. I bet if you told em your running a 19 lbs 1/8 monster truck they'd tell you the 5m shaft was ok.

killajb

I agree that the CC 1/5 scale conversion kit, motor and esc is designed for a heavier vehicle. When speaking in terms of a 1/5 scale conversion, most think of FG, Baja or other large gassers that normally weigh in the 25lb range.

I'll take the conversation you had with the folks at Castle as an explaination of what I witnessed by running two seperate motors: my 1717 ran warmer than the 1520 I have, despite the 1520 having a higher kv rating.

BUT, the 1717 runs cooler in my LST XXL which is heavier that my XB-E, but I don't drive it at WOT nearly as much.

So for suitable race conditions, I'd go with a 1520 (and attach a fan for good measure). So far this seems like it's perfect for the car. Enough speed for whatever you wanted to do (I don't think a gas version would ever come close) and temps never get over 140.

As a side note, I changed my steering servo for a Hitec 5745MG. Much better performance over stock, though I may have received a bum stock steering servo from the start.

bobi

Xbe

Well I came too a conclusion so far that I am going to run two 6 cell lipos parallel so I have 10000 mah at a around a 30 c. Order the 11 tooth pinion from Redcat. See if this gets me too a 40mph. speeds. My xbe came with a 10 tooth pinion? What did yours come with?

bobi

What do you guys think of this motor in the xbe Turnigy TrackStar 4068 2560KV 1/8th Brushless Motor. Would it work?

Obeast44

Banned
bobi said:
What do you guys think of this motor in the xbe Turnigy TrackStar 4068 2560KV 1/8th Brushless Motor. Would it work?
Its probably too small and too high of a KV.

Mine came with a 10t pinion.

killajb

Bobi: I'd go for at least 35C batteries. If you can spare the extra $$, go for 45C. It'll pay dividends in the long run as batteries will not be a weakpoint over the long run.

You can try gearing up with the stock motor as well, but honestly, I think the KV is a little low for my taste. You may find that with the extended runtime and higher gearing, that heat becomes an issue.

Ol' fart

Ol said:
I broke it, stoping.
I slide on to the road with the brakes locked up and the pinion gear could'nt take it.

Hey Redcat, that counterbore in the end of the gear dosn't need to be there, leave it solid ( small thru hole only)

Odviusly I can't give you a run time but I was at 8 minuets when it broke and

still had insane power.
Damn, Ive been working on steering hubs and over size bearings, rear holders and... Just got around to putting it back togeather and it turns out I bent the shit out of the motor shaft. Must have caught the busted tooth in the gears. Got it straight but what a pain in th ass. Had to break down the motor and mount the armeture in the lathe to bend it back to true. Got it to TIR of .001, with a some luck.

auto2

Ol said:
Damn, Ive been working on steering hubs and over size bearings, rear holders and... Just got around to putting it back togeather and it turns out I bent the shit out of the motor shaft. Must have caught the busted tooth in the gears. Got it straight but what a pain in th ass. Had to break down the motor and mount the armeture in the lathe to bend it back to true. Got it to TIR of .001, with a some luck.
your making oversize bearings? tell me all about it.i just got a used one on ebay so im doing my "homework" lol

bobi

Tekin

I have a Tekin 1350kv motor that I am going to use with two 6cell 5000 mah in parallell, with stock speed controler. Should work well I think. KV seems to about rt and the motor is for a truggy larg scale.

Ol' fart

bigger is better

auto2 said:
your making oversize bearings? tell me all about it.i just got a used one on ebay so im doing my "homework" lol
I'm working on getting the biggest bearings I can on the axles.

I got 10x22x6's to fit but I think I can go bigger.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts