• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Update on my Jetpro exhuast gasket leak

ChuenouXiao

Guys I'm using this on my Jetpro and it seems that even it is cracking... gas and or oil is spattering.... note that I'm using the longer screws included from Dino's Jetpro which is design for the Jetpro. What would cause this heavy duty gasket to crack into pieces? Should I use two gasket? I think I have a slight wobble... even though I tightening it pretty good with loctite. Maybe I can try using the stock screws from the stock Redcat pipe and it will result in a tighter fit. Bad thing is I'm risking the exhaust flying off. It won't fly off but... it may not be a good idea. Please help... thanks!

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.7227/.f

G

If the screws are too long they bottom out and never pull the pipe tight against the engine.

G

If you have a shorter screw use it, or shorten the screws you have. Then Red locktite. I've never had a bad gasket and I use the paper ones.

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
If the screws are too long they bottom out and never pull the pipe tight against the engine.
Oh... crap!!! I think my screw came out.... that may be the problem.... Not completely out but its 10% loose.... will confirm later.... and get back to you guys here. Got to go do some chores. Thanks... please check back... thank you guys!!! Especially you RCDAD

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
If you have a shorter screw use it, or shorten the screws you have. Then Red locktite. I've never had a bad gasket and I use the paper ones.
Red loctite huh? I was using blue.... :( Is red a good idea?

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Even the red is not perminant. You can still take it apart. The gaskets don't go bad very often. I only have had to replace mine when I take things apart.

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
Even the red is not perminant. You can still take it apart. The gaskets don't go bad very often. I only have had to replace mine when I take things apart.
I heard that for red loctite, you have to heat up that area to take it apart? I assume its not that hard to take out screws from red loctite?

Deluge

I'm using blue loctite. Just let it sit overnight and it'll be fine. With red loctite, you'll have to heat up the screws in order to break them free.

Also, you'll want to clean out the threads before you reinstall. Loctite loves clean threads.

G

Red is the strongest, so it is the hardest to remove. Heat will soften the locktite. You can also controle the strength by the quantity you use. I use red on everything. If I know the part is going to be removed often I just use a drip of the red. If you coat the threads you can plan on some difficulty to remove the bolt.

Deluge

Those are awesome. I have a set on my 5T. I had to hit the header with the Dremel, though. The nuts were binding on the weld. But they're worth it.

G

+1

Awesome...

I will be installing studs the next time I take mine off

ChuenouXiao

Deluge said:
Those are awesome. I have a set on my 5T. I had to hit the header with the Dremel, though. The nuts were binding on the weld. But they're worth it.
I don't know if I want to use stud. Probably use a light coat of red loctite would be better for me.

G

It is easy to ruin the threads in the head. If you install studs, you only have to take the nuts off. The studs never have to come out again.

Up to you. I got a set because it makes gasket swapping a lot easier.
True. It almost takes three hands to hold the pipe bolts and gaskets when your trying to assemble it.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.