• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Teaser Video for Rampage XB-E

igetbombed

Contributor
Same here,

Blue all the way. I'd like to make a suggestion. We need unbiased opinions - a board member perhaps who'd be willing to video and post to youtube his thoughts on this new electric in exchange for a free unit.......I have the perfect guy in mind, his name is Igetbombed on this board! LOL. He has a great camera, and is addicted to RC!!!

All in favor of giving him a free one?!?!?

hamster huey

RedcatRacing said:
What is the best deal on a HPI Vorza Flux once you add in 2 Lipo 11.1v batteries?
Darin
Cheapest Ive seen is 520 shipped for the vorza flux w/am radio

and Savage flux (mamaba monster) 2200hp 530 shipped w/2.4ghz

And cheapest batts Ive seen hobbyking 5000mah 3s 30c for 37 each shipped. Ive never had a prob w/hobbyking batts and have had quite a few. My friends have a bunch too.

Those are prices for NEW>

I like the red body better for visibility.

Obeast44

Banned
igetbombed said:
Same here,
Blue all the way. I'd like to make a suggestion. We need unbiased opinions - a board member perhaps who'd be willing to video and post to youtube his thoughts on this new electric in exchange for a free unit.......I have the perfect guy in mind, his name is Igetbombed on this board! LOL. He has a great camera, and is addicted to RC!!!

All in favor of giving him a free one?!?!?
I have to disagree, I have a better candidate in mind. Not to mention I was told "if possible" I would be testing one a while back. I think Darin and Rob liked em so much they wanted to hoard them all for themselves. HAHA

RampageHopUps

The Redcat guys are full capable of testing electric models. They have a very nice facility right in their backyard. Plus they have the experience with Lipos and chargers.

dale_gribble

This is an interesting and attractive platform and raises a question in my mind.

To me, the nitro v. brushless/lipo debate is valid. While nitro provides good power, it is finicky, the nitro fuel is expensive and it is messy. Brushless conversions with lipo power provide great run times, nitro level performance all without the mess of nitro. 4S power from readily available $30 5000mAh 2S packs is no problem so people can pick up 4 packs without a lot of pain and run for an hour.

Now, this brings about gasser v. brushless/lipo debate. This is a less convincing sell to me. Gasser engines are much easier to run with cheap fuel and as long of run times as anyone could ask for. People are only limited by the life of their receiver batteries. Enter the brushless 1/5 buggy. It will no doubt have performance that meets or exceeds its gasser counterparts but with higher current draw than current 1/8 systems, battery life will be shortened and runtimes reduced as a result. Entry 5000mAh+ 40C 3S lipos are ~$75/ea up to $200 for brand name high capacity cells, so 4 of those sure aren't cheap. Just like a 1/5 scale car needs a 1/5 scale power system, it needs monster capacity 1/5 scale batteries (10,000mAh + capacity). 1/8 scale batteries won't go far in an 1/5 scale platform.

The brushless v. nitro debate yields to brushless, I am unconvinced that the brushless v. gasser debate will have the same result.

Ron E

Contributor
dale_gribble said:
This is an interesting and attractive platform and raises a question in my mind.
To me, the nitro v. brushless/lipo debate is valid. While nitro provides good power, it is finicky, the nitro fuel is expensive and it is messy. Brushless conversions with lipo power provide great run times, nitro level performance all without the mess of nitro. 4S power from readily available $30 5000mAh 2S packs is no problem so people can pick up 4 packs without a lot of pain and run for an hour.

Now, this brings about gasser v. brushless/lipo debate. This is a less convincing sell to me. Gasser engines are much easier to run with cheap fuel and as long of run times as anyone could ask for. People are only limited by the life of their receiver batteries. Enter the brushless 1/5 buggy. It will no doubt have performance that meets or exceeds its gasser counterparts but with higher current draw than current 1/8 systems, battery life will be shortened and runtimes reduced as a result. Entry 5000mAh+ 40C 3S lipos are ~$75/ea up to $200 for brand name high capacity cells, so 4 of those sure aren't cheap. Just like a 1/5 scale car needs a 1/5 scale power system, it needs monster capacity 1/5 scale batteries (10,000mAh + capacity). 1/8 scale batteries won't go far in an 1/5 scale platform.

The brushless v. nitro debate yields to brushless, I am unconvinced that the brushless v. gasser debate will have the same result.
very good point and right on... i love my gas large scales and my 1/10 - 1/8 brushless rc's... but theres just something drawing me to this 1/5 brushless rtr. :) maybe because it's new??? maybe because it just looks and sounds so cool??? i've tried to fight it but i can't help it... i want one. damn this hobby. :D

prostock

I agree with the current battery and brushless systems of today may not be enough for 1/5th scale. Castle showcased there 1/5th scale brushless system at I-hobby and it may be the answer but will cost a lot.

I think if you can get a good 15-20 mins on lipo power it is worth getting into electric 1/5th scale; most of us run our gassers for 15 minutes and pull in for a break anyway...

hamster huey

I have seen the castle 1/5 amp chart (rc driver feb 2011) and the amp draw w/ 8s 750kv (geared for top speed of 45) was nearly identical to the amp draw of my 1/8 mamba monster on 4s. Runtime was 12-15 (8s 6500mah) minutes under the test condtions. The system pulled almost 7hp. Avg amps were 53, 178 max. My 1.8 on 4s peaks at that but the average is much higher!

We'll see what redcat gives us. Running at max voltage and proper gearing will create the most effecient power. If its anything like the castle pack time should be decent.

Last edited by a moderator:

dale_gribble

True, but you are talking 12-15 minutes runtime vs. 30+ minutes runtime per tank with the option to refill immediately and keep going.

hamster huey

The follwing compares powertrains:

If the redcat runs on 6s you can get good 3s batteries for $30-45 each. So enough batts to run 1/2 hour (assuming runtime is 15 minutes) will only initially cost $120-180. And virtually no maintenance and nothing else to buy.

Look at gas the cost of gassers now: 2 stroke oil, fuel, spark plugs, clutch, clutch springs, carbs, headkits, throttle/brake servo, outwears for pullstart, air filter, outerwears for air filter, pullstarts. Thats just some of the things regularly needing maintenance. And you'd have to spend more money for hopups on top of that to be neck and neck w/brushless!

The arguement was almost identical for nitro as well. In the long run brushless comes out cheaper AND brushless has a higher value when you sell it.

I never missed nitro when I converted my 1/8s to brushless because they always sounded like high pitch wind up toys and not very realistic.

The gasser now on the other hand sounds realistic like dirt bikes and that I will definatly miss if I went brushless. I love the sounds even at idle. I never ever thought to myself "that nitro sounds like music to my ears" but I have thought that many time about gassers. Also gassers arent as picky as nitro so they arent really a pain in the butt, just time consuming and expensive when it comes to maintenance.

hamster huey

Oh and heres another plus: no matter what charger you buy cost is about the same. A good charger for a gasser cost about as much as a good charger for a brushless.

A good charger for a gasser should be able to charge and discharge lipo/life/liioon/nicd and nimh. That way you can run any batt you want in your tx, and receiver box. And w/discharge you can condition your batts (especially receiver batt). ALL batteries should be conditioned to maintain peak perfromance.

The same good charger for a gasser as described above will also work with a brushless 1/5 so you should be looking at the same charger regardless of wether you go gas or electric.

auto2

beggiest difference is running QUIET around your home block at 7 am with out the police being called lol. and having 7 plus HP instead of 4 or 5 from a mod engine that wont start when its cold out. picture a dunerunner doing wheelies down the street.(just before the shafts blow apart lol)

ill have to have one of each:)

my biggest concern is the stock brushless system and what it will sell for on ebay when i get a castle system for it and a good 10s battery as i have all 5s packs that i run in my 808s.

krashkrieg

Contributor
hamster huey said:
Oh and heres another plus: no matter what charger you buy cost is about the same. A good charger for a gasser cost about as much as a good charger for a brushless.
A good charger for a gasser should be able to charge and discharge lipo/life/liioon/nicd and nimh. That way you can run any batt you want in your tx, and receiver box. And w/discharge you can condition your batts (especially receiver batt). ALL batteries should be conditioned to maintain peak perfromance.

The same good charger for a gasser as described above will also work with a brushless 1/5 so you should be looking at the same charger regardless of wether you go gas or electric.
very true, but a dual charger of respectable quality will allow you to sync the packs with each other allowing you to safely run 5s or 7s if using the same manufacture and same mah.

My early plan is to get 2 - 3s and 2 - 4s allowing me to run 6 7 or 8s depending on setup, ground conditions etc.

krashkrieg

Contributor
hamster huey said:
If the redcat runs on 6s you can get good 3s batteries for $30-45 each. So enough batts to run 1/2 hour (assuming runtime is 15 minutes) will only initially cost $120-180. And virtually no maintenance and nothing else to buy.
And IMHO Most resectable chargers will hook to car batteries so with 3-4 sets of batteries you can be charging a set while running the others and with typical breaks taken when (most) run any RC, you can go for several hours..

hamster huey said:
Look at gas the cost of gassers now: 2 stroke oil, fuel, spark plugs, clutch, clutch springs, carbs, headkits, throttle/brake servo, outwears for pullstart, air filter, outerwears for air filter, pullstarts. Thats just some of the things regularly needing maintenance. And you'd have to spend more money for hopups on top of that to be neck and neck w/brushless!
I was pondering this very same thought just yesterday when once again a stupid issue prevented me from running my beast (brake pads / s**t-shaft again) so I wond up running two full sets of batts with my savage, no issues as usual.

auto2

what will the stock esc be capable of? i use 5s batterys in my 1/8 scale stuff so a 10s capable esc would be cool:) assuming the motor is low enough KV

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.