• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Redcat Rampage XT-E Hobbywing Max5, 5692 1000KV, 8S

cjr1985car

Redcat Racing Shock Tower Upgrade

cjr1985car

Well today I wanted to tackle the suspension. The truck needed a lift. If you play around with the stock suspension settings you can squeeze about 3 inches out of it. So long story short I repurposed the bent rear shock tower (cut it up) and bolted it to the Redcat Racing aftermarket rear shock tower creating new mounting points (allowing the suspension to get full droop).

After fiddling with everything making sure I have no axle binding issues I've now got a real 4 inches of clearance (exact same ground clearance as the new traxxas x maxx). I also ordered up rear shocks for the front and the 7075c front shock tower to perform similar mods to even the chassis out.

Fun stuff.

Before:

After:

cjr1985car

Also bought an xmaxx body since I smashed my body to pieces:

strodedawg

cjr1985car said:
As long as your willing to trim the body mount posts you can get the body pretty darn low!

-Colton
Thanksfor the pics ..... put a wing coming out the back, some baja rears and you have a decent truggy...... my rally days might be over. anyone need redcat parts lol

Last edited by a moderator:

cjr1985car

Body has been painted:

Still need to add headlight, taillight and grille decals.

cjr1985car

Had my first breakage. One of the rear wheel hubs stripped out due to heat (the plastic was literally melting as i inspected it. Possibly due to partial bearing failure (19mm bearings) or just the bearing being undersized and my wheel speed being faster than stock. I ordered up front and rear 7075rc 22mm bearing holders.

Heres the interesting part (which may be common knowledge). The XT-E is equipped with 22mm front bearings and 19mm rear bearings from the factory. I thought all XB-E/XT-E had 19mm all around, but then I saw 22mm factory bearings (maybe the later models received these).

I also noticed a different part number for the 22mm front bearing holders on Rob's site:

http://www.rampageshop.com/store/p1100/07451___Front_Spindle_Set_%28L%2FR%29.html

So, I guess it might not be necessary to upgrade the front bearing holders unless that upgrade is to the redcat aluminum c hub (to eliminate a little slop), but I would keep the plastic 22mm bearing holder or upgrade to the 7075c aluminum holder since the "upgrade" redcat aluminum front bearing holder is only 19mm. And forget trying to remove the screws that hold the front bearing holder to the c hubs, the backing plate will spin. Just order up new bushings (I think I paid $6 for a set) and find the right size hardware.

heres a few pics. Factory front bearing holders vs 7075c front bearing holders vs the stock rear 19mm rear bearing holder (I already had the 7075c rear bearing holders installed at this point.

chapinb

My xbe were all the same size bearings when new. It's also a few years old. Interesting.

Bigger helps, but it's the cheap bearings that killed ya. The hubs will probably be ok with just better bearings.

Keep the updates rolling!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.