• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Need help MT won't move!!!

XDEEDUBBX

More importantly, how do you remove the clutch? Everytime I try to losen it up with my hex wrench it just spins, I tried clamping it down with some plier but I didn't want to strip the outside part of the clutch, help please!

cordy

Use a piece of small rope. put the rope in the cyl spark plug hole the piston wont come up . then take the clutch out. I`m shure you can find a pice of rope lying around,this is the freest way I know of.Good luck. don't forget to pull the rope out when your done.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

If you use a impact driver to work on your RCs that works. The clutch bolts are not in the middle so the impact driver removes the bolts without spinning the clutch much. Just pull the plug wire off. If you do happen to spin it, you don't want the engine to take off and start on you.

RAMJET

one thing I noticed on my truck with the pin that holds the gear hub to the shaft ,you need to tighten the bolt on the gear hub to lock the pin in place (similar to a wheel hub) on the 4 pin system the gear free floats on the hub even when the bolt is tight .I remember reading somewhere that the bolts had to remain loose to allow the gears to run true on the older system ,make sure you don't make this mistake with the 4 pin system ,tighten the bolts this also stops the pin working back and forth in the hole causing premature wear to the shaft and hub. Roger

PS : your clutch looks fine ,just make sure you can move the shoes (put a screwdriver under them and lift them to see if they move freely)

the center diff has hex shafts on the drive cups so they would drive with no set screws at all,as would the diff pinions or the brake hub(the brake hub hex could have stripped though). I guess it's possible you broke a diff cup ,the one that drives the dog bone to the wheel but you would have to brake one front and one rear to stop the truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

.I remember reading somewhere that the bolts had to remain loose to allow the gears to run true on the older system ,
That is for the square drive system on the X series vehicles. There is no pin on the drive squares, only set screws. It is the same on the wheel squares for he X-series. If you over tighten the nuts you can pull the shaft through the square. This also adds to must side pressure on the bearings, which causes premature failure.

RAMJET

RCDAD said:
That is for the square drive system on the X series vehicles. There is no pin on the drive squares, only set screws. It is the same on the wheel squares for he X-series. If you over tighten the nuts you can pull the shaft through the square. This also adds to must side pressure on the bearings, which causes premature failure.
you are correct ,I just wanted to make sure he was not reading a post on the older MT tranny(same as current XB) this is the mistake I made .I was not tightening the bolts on the pin type tranny hubs and that will cause problems.it will wear the shaft /hub/or break the pin . my point was you must tighten the bolts on a pin type tranny.I even loctite the whole thing together as it's not a big deal heating it to get it apart when removing bearings.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts