• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

My Homoto gearsafter 3 tanks.

Ron E

Contributor
oh crap i see the wear on the outer gears, i didnt look close enough... getting pretty hooked/worn on the edge. inners look good.

i'm sun burnt, had a few beers and don't have my glasses on... so there. lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Clubin

Banned
Inners are MCD, and they have 5+ gallons through them. Outers are Homoto, and I think they missed somthing in the hardening process?

lumax

That look to be soft material !!!, but they might splat and not get further

:rolleyes: I don't know if that make sense... some time it's hard to be understood when you are french, trying to wright in english :rolleyes:

varga1974

Damn....... Id have to apoligize for who ever sold you those gears. You have to remember that all this stuff is built in China. For someone who works for a Chinese company and works on Chinese equipment this doesn't suprise me. They will try to get away with the lowest quality steel if all possible to save a few dollars. Were your running any type of lubrication on the gears??? Some Chinese steel is very soft and if any heats get built up they will go bye bye very quickly. I find that same problem where bearings meet our steel cams. If they are not througly lubricated the bearing will beat the piss out of the steel till there is flat spots all around the cam.

Your going to have to probally lubricate those high qualtiy Himoto steel gears :)

Clubin

Banned
RampageHopUps said:
Yikes, back to the drawing board.
Not good? LOL
This is the reply I recieved from exportpro

Please note that you have to put some lubricant oil before break in.

The gear is absolutely perfect.

Second reply

Hi,

There is normal worn out for break in just like new car engine.

It should be okay as long as the installation of the gear is correct.

Thks

Apparently there is nothing wrong. I disagree.

kryptonite

wow, who is the EXPERTO? both of those gears are wearing way too fast. they will probly last a good while, but they still shouldnt look like that. my "prototype" gears look absolutly perfect, and i cant say how many tank/gallons are are them. am interested in hereing from others that have these gears..

roccos_van

Eportpro is the china seller moo found a while back. Alot of us bought these gears anyone else have something to report yet? I have to run my MT yet so I can't comment.

DemonRC

I got my Redcat set in but haven't run the car yet. If I see any signs of wear I'm thinking I'll take them down to a knife shop and have them take them to 1400f and quench em.

pwaicon

I have about two tanks on my gears and they still look good. I plan on getting some run time on the Rampage this week so I will see how the gears hold up after a few more tanks. It is going to be interesting to hear the results from others who also ordered these gears.

Clubin

Banned
pwaicon said:
I have about two tanks on my gears and they still look good. I plan on getting some run time on the Rampage this week so I will see how the gears hold up after a few more tanks. It is going to be interesting to hear the results from others who also ordered these gears.
Maybe I am too hard on my stuff?

Clubin

Banned
roccos_van said:
I would think not; i'm sure you already checked this, but how are the bearings in the gearplate?
Bearings are perfect, I am running the Vertigo bearing kit.
Moo, Squares are all good, gears run perfectly true, no wobble. As you can see buy the wear they wore prefectly. lol

my latest reply:

Seriously, Normal? The gear is worn half way through. Check out this

> thread> http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=1885

> For some better pictures. Look closely.

Their responce:

Hi Clayton,

have you put the oil? we have double check the gear and the design is like this, the gear is still running good, we are running it everyday.

thanks

Exportpro

It must just be me?

Let me know how the gears are working out for you guys. The Mfg doesn't think they have any issues.

kryptonite

i highly doubt oil would have done anything more then made a mess. you could have just gottin a soft set or something, but i cant see those gears lasting gallon after gallon. maybe once the wear down there will be less friction.

roccos_van

I noticed you are running your gears without the washer installed between the locknut and gear. Do you think that could cause any problems as the washer will help displace some of the torque on the gear? Here's mine, you can see the mesh quite clearly:

HPIM0773.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.