• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

My first seize!

jeffp83

Just took the engine apart, the gasket had blown out on the intake side... that's why it was leaking all over the place. My piston has a weird scuffed up look on that side as seen in the picture, hopefully it didn't ingest anything. The cylinder also has a few scuff marks inside, not sure if that's normal or not. Can't really notice it in the picture.

20120919_120454_resize.jpg

20120919_120522_resize.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Looks ok. It will still run. Get her cleaned up slap in a new gasket and give it a go. Sometimes if the bolts are over tightened on the 2 bolts you can warp the cylinder. That will cause you to repeatedly blow out gaskets.

GTS 666

RCDAD said:
Looks ok. It will still run. Get her cleaned up slap in a new gasket and give it a go. Sometimes if the bolts are over tightened on the 2 bolts you can warp the cylinder. That will cause you to repeatedly blow out gaskets.
Agree looks ok no deep scratches. Slip in a new gasket and go. I can imagine your frustration with this not having much luck of late.

alfred e numan

yea, i could never seem to seal very long with copper no matter what i used to seal with. The moto seal is really good for the bottom end cases-used with the paper gasket. The best luck i have had on a 2 bolt is ddm graphite -stainless steel gasket. I have ran the cy 29 hard, got it so hot the rear of the body melted and warped. just break out the ex-s hair dryer and soften it up -warp it back into place- I always knew she would eventually be good for something!! Yea, trick is on the graphite- clean up the mateing surfaces real well- do not clean the graphite gasket- buy several of these gaskets, some have a better coating than others, torque to spec- bring the engine up to running temp- do not drive it- torque agan- then do this after a short drive agan, the graphite has to settle into place- I have about 3-4 gallons tru the cy 29- so far, no leaks. i do keep my fingers crossed though!! Oh yea, when you re-torque, your torque reading will be way over, its break loose torque, once the bolt breaks loose- it will read under torque spec- just saying.

alfred e numan

forgot to say- if you are useing the hy-jug you gotta trin the gaskets where it slides over the jug- do not attempt to cut the graphite gasket- ya gotta use a small rotary wheel- little bit at a time until it slides over the jug with out bowing - 5:30 am here, on my 2nd cup of mud- gotta hit my targer heart rate and get with the program- gonna get too hot agan today-

Deluge

Same here, Alfred. Some people get the copper gaskets to seal pretty good. I couldn't. I annealed it, scuffed it and put some sealer on it. No dice.

jeffp83

Good info alfred, thanks. The gasket that just blew on me was one of those ddm graphite ones. The only thing i can think that could be the problem is the crankcase, because this is the piece that I've used on all my engines and they've all leaked or blown out gaskets at some point. Maybe the surfaces on each case halve aren't very flat and/or they don't sit flush with eachother when bolted together.

If the copper gaskets don't hold out its bye bye 2 bolt for me. I know some, maybe most have great luck with them... for me i don't know, they are just troublesome. What bugs me is a little while back i had actually ordered a cy f270 4 bolt engine but cancelled it... don't remember why but in hindsight i should have just got it. Ah well.

Deluge

The crank case could be off. I've seen it happen. Lay a straight edge on it, that should tell you if they're not flush.

4 bolt engines are nice. I have a 4 bolt Zen in my 5T. Very reliable.

alfred e numan

The f-270 is a good little engine. it will really rev to the moon on the pavement even with a 4wd xb. But-- it lacks enough power -torque to pull the xb as fast as it should in loose dirt-grass. It does not have enough oomp to rev enough to get up on the pipe -jet-pro rear mount-xb. This is in conditions that drag the car down- grass-mud-loose dirt. The upside is -its a 4 bolt! Just hang tight -live with it until you see a sale on a 36mm top end thats had some dental work done to the ports, bolt that puppy together and haul ass. I wonder how a obr top end intended for a losi would run in a light car-- yup- the f-270 has a 30mm rod-. In all fairness to the 270, i should bolt up the ddm denomator i modded into a sidepipe-put the 270 in the xb- it could be just what it needs----??- little bit more midrange to help it.

G

alfred e numan said:
The f-270 is a good little engine. it will really rev to the moon on the pavement even with a 4wd xb. But-- it lacks enough power -torque to pull the xb as fast as it should in loose dirt-grass. It does not have enough oomp to rev enough to get up on the pipe -jet-pro rear mount-xb. This is in conditions that drag the car down- grass-mud-loose dirt. The upside is -its a 4 bolt! Just hang tight -live with it until you see a sale on a 36mm top end thats had some dental work done to the ports, bolt that puppy together and haul ass. I wonder how a obr top end intended for a losi would run in a light car-- yup- the f-270 has a 30mm rod-. In all fairness to the 270, i should bolt up the ddm denomator i modded into a sidepipe-put the 270 in the xb- it could be just what it needs----??- little bit more midrange to help it.
If its a ported 27.2, it will have the torque you desire for the grass. Mine rooster tails the grass at the park.

G

Night and day difference!

alfred e numan

yea, i should check out a few engine shops. I do have 3 270 top ends in a box. I have read that the stock 270 has the largest transfer ports in the industry. If it was ported It would no doubt really get with the program.

alfred e numan

Now I know this may sound sorta mickey mouse. What could be done to dress up the imperfections on the crankcase- Enco out of Fernely Nevada has Assorted sizes of granet surface plates- If a guy was careful with the silicon carbide sandpaper on the plate -- Yea, a small surface plate would be very useful for lots of things-

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.