• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

My first seize!

jeffp83

Thanks guys! Although I do have a concern again, I took off my fan cover and shroud today to clean out the grass that had been accumulating in the fan area and noticed that a lot of fuel/oil had been leaking from the head gasket.. so much so that it looked like it had dripped right on to the flywheel while running and it shot oil all over the side of the cylinder and ignition coil. It has leaked around the entire head. I checked the bolts with the torque wrench and they are set right to spec. It's likely been leaking since I first ran the engine, but I just noticed it now. Just when I thought everything was going good lol :D

Going to have to break it down again and put a new gasket on, might try a copper one with a spray on sealant and hope for the best. Haven't had any luck with the head gaskets on these 2-bolts :confused: This one was a heavy duty steel reinforced.

Last edited by a moderator:

jeffp83

It's odd because it runs great, no audible signs of an air leak from a blown gasket. I know all 2-bolt's leak a bit, I wonder if the excessive leakage came from when I was running it pig rich at the beginning?

jeffp83

I've tried that one as well deluge :( . I ordered a copper gasket and am going to try some of that permatex ultra rtv sealant on it, more work than seems necessary but that's gotta seal it.

Deluge

Remember to anneal it before you put it on. That'll soften it up so it conforms to the cylinder and crank case properly.

jeffp83

Deluge said:
Remember to anneal it before you put it on. That'll soften it up so it conforms to the cylinder and crank case properly.
Will do that for sure, thanks. Do you have to install the gasket while it is still hot?

Deluge

Also, you'll have to trim it a bit. Just lay the old gasket on top of it, and you'll see where it needs to be trimmed. I'd do this before you anneal it.

jeffp83

Deluge said:
Also, you'll have to trim it a bit. Just lay the old gasket on top of it, and you'll see where it needs to be trimmed. I'd do this before you anneal it.
Even more work that I gotta do?? :rolleyes: haha. Thanks for the info, I will do that as well.

jeffp83

This is the oily mess that I was talking about

20120919_103900_resize.jpg

While I had the fan cover off I decided to ream two holes in the shroud for easier access to the cylinder bolts, will re-torque them every couple of tanks. I put the grommets on to hopefully prevent the chrome from chipping off.

20120919_103659_resize.jpg

Deluge

Yep! That's why I gave up copper gaskets. Could never get the squish where I wanted cause it doesn't compress like a paper gasket. Then the annealing, etc. And after all that, they still seeped a little. This was with Permatex Copper sealant.

jeffp83

Yeah they definetely seem like a lot of work! Were you using that permatex spray on gasket or the copper rtv?

jeffp83

Thanks i'm happy with the way it turned out. I'm leaning towards using that permatex rtv copper ultra or whatever it's called, maybe it seals better. Who knows.

jeffp83

Cool, I will take a look at that when I go to the automotive store. Thanks!

TerraKill

jeffp83 said:
While I had the fan cover off I decided to ream two holes in the shroud for easier access to the cylinder bolts, will re-torque them every couple of tanks. I put the grommets on to hopefully prevent the chrome from chipping off. 20120919_103659_resize.jpg
looks very tidy, nicly done man :cool:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts