• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

MT V3 engine upgrade

Diamondia

I am waiting on some parts to get my MT up and running, so after a little research I decided that I want to go ahead and upgrade a brand new HY 30 cc engine. I am looking into this upgrade and need to know if it will work without adding any other modifications. Do I need the crank or stuffed crank to complete this setup? If using this upgrade will the stock carb work fine? I also have a Jetpro pipe which I want to use. Are there any gaskets that I will need? Often times I end up forgetting some basics on an upgrade, and could kick myself in the balls later for it! Thanks much in advance for assistance with this.

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.4168/.f

Thanks,

Mike

G

You don't need a crank. The existing crank is a 2mm crank.

I would upgrade the carb. It will save you from headaches later on.

Diamondia

RCDAD said:
You don't need a crank. The existing crank is a 2mm crank.I would upgrade the carb. It will save you from headaches later on.
Thanks RCDAD. I would actually love to just get out and run this thing with as little grief as possible. This MT has never been run due to problems straight from the factory. I was going to upgrade the engine anyways down the road. Since I am waiting on exhaust manifold bolts and a new gas tank, I might as well grab this Top end and install it all at the same time.

I will look into the carb options and grab one as well to avoid any headaches down the road. Looks like i'm going to need a gear puller as well to complete this mod. Any other tools beside the common ones needed to install this? I saw in a post that a Piston stopper and maybe a Wrist pin tool was optional? Are these needed in your opinion? Thanks again for the assistance with this project.

Thanks,

Mike

rampage idiot

Diamondia said:
Thanks RCDAD. I would actually love to just get out and run this thing with as little grief as possible. This MT has never been run due to problems straight from the factory. I was going to upgrade the engine anyways down the road. Since I am waiting on exhaust manifold bolts and a new gas tank, I might as well grab this Top end and install it all at the same time.I will look into the carb options and grab one as well to avoid any headaches down the road. Looks like i'm going to need a gear puller as well to complete this mod. Any other tools beside the common ones needed to install this? I saw in a post that a Piston stopper and maybe a Wrist pin tool was optional? Are these needed in your opinion? Thanks again for the assistance with this project.

Thanks,

Mike
Like RCDAD said change the carb, I have the same top end as do many others on the forum put on a wt990 carb and when you buy the ESP upper do not use the base gasket that comes with it buy the blue zenoah 2 bolt gasket it is a lot stronger get a couple so you have a spare, you will need a piston stop for sure, and a flyheel puller is nice to have really you don't need anything else unless I am forgetting something if you are going to do all this you may as well change the intake to an aluminum one,this will save another headache down the road

G

Diamondia said:
Thanks RCDAD. I would actually love to just get out and run this thing with as little grief as possible. This MT has never been run due to problems straight from the factory. I was going to upgrade the engine anyways down the road. Since I am waiting on exhaust manifold bolts and a new gas tank, I might as well grab this Top end and install it all at the same time.I will look into the carb options and grab one as well to avoid any headaches down the road. Looks like i'm going to need a gear puller as well to complete this mod. Any other tools beside the common ones needed to install this? I saw in a post that a Piston stopper and maybe a Wrist pin tool was optional? Are these needed in your opinion? Thanks again for the assistance with this project.

Thanks,

Mike
No prob man. Good luck with the build!

RampageHopUps

I use a rope for a piston stopper,a nd never needed a flywheel puller. Just tap lightly on the side of the flywheel and it will break the seal.

Deluge

Diamondia said:

Thanks,

Mike
You'll love that cylinder kit. I run the same one and it's a monster. You don't need anything special to install it. Like Rob said, a rope can be used to keep the piston from moving. Just coil it down the spark plug hole. You can pop the flywheel off by threading two M6x50mm bolts into the flywheel. Same method used to remove the clutch plate. You don't need the wrist pin tool.

mhambone

I just bought this top end for my truck and was wondering what is involved in removing the engine? How does the gear set come off? I also have the WT990, clutch spring and Outerwears pull start cover to install, any tips?

Thanks guys........

blak__jak

three bolts on gear side two countersunk screws from under the engine and take apart the t/b linkage and motor comes right off. this is after removing the body and rollcage and watch you don't lose the spacers under the motor.

cherryride

i put that head kit on my mt too. why do you pull the fly wheel or the clutch if you're not changing the crank?

Last edited by a moderator:

mhambone

blak__jak said:
three bolts on gear side two countersunk screws from under the engine and take apart the t/b linkage and motor comes right off. this is after removing the body and rollcage and watch you don't lose the spacers under the motor.
Thanks Dude............

blak__jak

you don't have to pull the flywheel but he said he had a new clutch spring to install. you really don't have to remove the engine if you don't want to but it makes things simpler for me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts