• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

MT gear plate and bearings on an XT?

G

If you have the ability to shim them, it would be for the better. The extra bearing location on the gear plate is not machined for a bearing to fit. If you can find one that works then go for it!

Here's a photo of the gear placement for ya.

-

9d290986.jpg

jeeper049687

yep picture was the best way to go, thank you! i can't wait for tomorrow get it started up again. another thing im running maintly on grass and i've been getting alot of grass sucked up everywhere inside so i took the cover off the top of the engine and haven't put it back on, mainly because it was packed with grass around the engine and im worried about overheat/fire, which would suck how much does that cover route air around the engine for cooling, just don't want an overheat,now didn't have anywhere near as much grass underneath as with it on. would like to screen it but all i have on hand is fiberglass screen, don't think it would hold up to any kind of heat.

G

o btw that thing is freaking sweet.
Thanks. It's an old pic I don't run gears anymore. The two outer gears are swappable. In the photo they are actually mounted 31-29 this increases the top speed a little. 29-31 is the stock set up.

jeeper049687

thanks everyone for you help the gear plate is working great so far, the gears meshed right back up did use gear spacers i had at work to bring them all into perfect alighnment. did have to file down the 29 and31 tooth gears very little as there were a few high spots from the plastic plate failure, but they have great mesh after 3/4 of a tank everything did get warm but not rediculously hot like before, and im suprised the gears seem to be making much less noise o and the nuts on the ends of the shafts didn't come loose either even with just being snug. going to try and figure out photobucket for some pictures. did have a hub bearing failure lol maybe i can't win. think its the grass and how the xt has no chance to spin in the corners. thanks again for the help, very happy with the bigger bearings and gear plate. did find another bearing for on the inner side of the layshaft used a 10mm id, 19mm od, X6 wide took just the right amount of force to get in, hope that works out.

jeeper049687

like i said the gears look a little messed up but they are working good. wasn't going to replace them just to put aside new gears after the belt kit gets ordered.

IMG_1547.jpg

IMG_1543.jpg

and what it did look like,

IMG_1511.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

wow hope i never see that in front of me again, i might cry. lol.

ChuenouXiao

jeeper049687 said:
like i said the gears look a little messed up but they are working good. wasn't going to replace them just to put aside new gears after the belt kit gets ordered. wow hope i never see that in front of me again, i might cry. lol.
Get belt drive; you will never go back and will never have this head ache again :D

jeeper049687

ordered a belt drive and an extra belt over the weekend, can't wait till it gets here, havne't had any problems yet wit the gears other then the noise since they did get a little messed up when the old plastic plate broke, did order a spare belt too, just in case will probly run with the cover on just so nothing trys to tear it up. did kinda loose sight of the truck today with no body on it and put it into a very large bush, came right out the other side. 25lbs, at about 45mph is around 550ftlbs of force, would be dead if you got hit by that. hey r/c dad. what about a chain drive???? that would be pretty cool. use some timing chain off a car? i know much heavier but that would have to be something that would be very hard to break. i like the belt still though, does the belt help the bearings run cooler or is there not much of a difference? j/w o and think i should change those bearings again before putting on the drive kit, or is there any way to pack these with new grease? i think most of the grease in mine is working its way out.

G

Chains are strong and so are gears, but both are heavy and noisy. Weight (rotating mass) and noise go away with the belt drive.

What gear plate are you running? It can't hurt to change the bearings, but if your running the MT plate it's not necessary.

As far as bearing load there is practically none on the center shaft after installing the belt drive. I see most of the failures on the center shaft (plastic X-series plate) with the gears.

Last edited:

jeeper049687

Thanks deluge, yea it would be alot of work was just thinking because I've seen some engine out there with big hp claims and I don't know how everything stays together. Ya rc dad I upgraded to the mt gear plate aluminum and the bearings for it, boy I can't wait for it get here. O, so that was no failures seen with the belt drive?

jeeper049687

Even now when I have a good day with my stock carb if this thing had wings I think it would fly around the yard I just can't comprehend 7+ hp. It's gotta be too much right?

G

jeeper049687 said:
Thanks deluge, yea it would be alot of work was just thinking because I've seen some engine out there with big hp claims and I don't know how everything stays together. Ya rc dad I upgraded to the mt gear plate aluminum and the bearings for it, boy I can't wait for it get here. O, so that was no failures seen with the belt drive?
The cover is the only issue thus far. Thin lexan and fitment is too tight by my standards. No reports of belt issues what so ever.

G

jeeper049687 said:
Even now when I have a good day with my stock carb if this thing had wings I think it would fly around the yard I just can't comprehend 7+ hp. It's gotta be too much right?
I run the 7.5hp 27.2cc FMLR OBR in my XB with the belt drive. It's a blast! :D

G

Not since I did the brake in / belt drive video. Performance has improved since I've ran a few more tanks through it. I will be painting another Grafil body for it and when I'm finished I shoot some more video. I need a reason to try the new GPS contour. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts