• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

MT gear plate and bearings on an XT?

jeeper049687

I've had a friend of mine tell me that this is impossible that the XT plate is much thinner and smaller than the MT. I've been staring and pictures of both the aluminum XT hopup gear plate that uses the normal XT size bearings; 'kinda small" and the MT blue plate, that has much bigger bearings, which is better. Now it seems like all the mount holes are in the same place for mounting and the shaft holes/ bearing holes are also the same location, just need the bigger bearings. his agrument is that there is an aluminum gear plate make for the xt so theres a good reason why that is, "because the MT does not fit!". If this is true and it doesn't fit im open to some modifications to make it fit btw. im not afraid of some cutting, drilling and welding. i'd make my own plate out of a chunk of aluminum, but i don't have a milling machine on hand, and the local college machine shops don't open untill september, and im not waiting that long. Just asking you guys cuz i know you'll know.

G

The MT plate for the 4 pin gears is narrower in the area that supports the shafts. The 4 pin shafts are shorter.

The plates them selves are completely interchangeable all mounting holes line up perfectly.

So as long as you are using the shafts that are for that plate you can swap them. The MT plate is much beefier!

The mt plate uses much larger bearings than the X-series plates.

Here are photos to show the difference between the Mt 4 pin plate and the MT square drive plate. These two plates use the same size bearings.

Hope this clarifies things.

-

MT 4 pin style plate

4e9a1433.jpg

-

MT Square drive style plate

2e054e2a.jpg

G

Here are the X-series plates for comparison. The plastic on the left and the aluminum version on the right.

-

61d31399.jpg

jeeper049687

thanks again

I'd be lost without the forum already, Thanks everyone! yea i just ordered the plate and bearings for now waiting on another pay day to order the belt drive.

G

Glad to help. :)

jeeper049687

Gear nut tightness

The other question I have to ask so I don't screw something else up is. How tight should the nuts ont the end of the gear shafts be? Im just worried I'm going to over tighten and smash the bearings.

jeeper049687

Ok I think I got it maybe....

So the mt plate bolts right up to an xt but u have to use the mt shafts with the mt plate the xt shafts "square drive" won't work with the mt plate. But the square drives work with the belt drive kit and an mt gear plate

G

jeeper049687 said:
The other question I have to ask so I don't screw something else up is. How tight should the nuts ont the end of the gear shafts be? Im just worried I'm going to over tighten and smash the bearings.
Snug only. If you over tighten you can pull the shafts through the drive squares and mess up the center diff mesh.

G

jeeper049687 said:
So the mt plate bolts right up to an xt but u have to use the mt shafts with the mt plate the xt shafts "square drive" won't work with the mt plate. But the square drives work with the belt drive kit and an mt gear plate
The funky 4 pin plate is not available by it self so you don't have to worry about ordering the wrong one. The MT aluminum plate is designed to work with the square drive shafts. The shafts that are on your XT will work fine. No need to replace them. Just make sure you get a bearing kit for the MT plate.

jeeper049687

Rcdad to the rescue again!!!

Btw r u just a huge supporter of the pitstop or say own it u seem to know enough to be the CEO atleast. I'd love to have one of those grafil bodies but that's Gunna have to wait thats after belt drive, a better steer servo. And I'm going to route the exhaust out of the body already worped the heck out of it

G

Thanks for the nice words. Yes, RC PitStop is mine.

G

Those I'm sure those work fine but I prefer the metal shielded bearings to help with latteral pressure.

jeeper049687

exact kit i ordered with the gear plate, and shipping was really cheap " small parts" will be here wednesday, but i don't think im going to take it out untill i get a kill switch, just ordered them as it was what i could aford to do right now.

jeeper049687

yea i see what your saying about the metal shielded bearings.i do want to have really good bearings in the gear plate when i get the belt drive, i was just searching around and thought about ceramics, bocabearings has a hybrid ceramic with special offroad seals, but its 160 big ones and its for the mt while i do want to upgrade the steering in and hubs to aluminum on my xt the bearings are a different size then the mt so i would only need the plate bearings for there, might just be a waist of money enless i can find a manufacturer with a guarantee. O'ya even though i did loose a wheel nut and melted the gear plate, my wife actually wants a Rampage for her birthday, which is great cuz i didn't have a clue what to get for her.

G

my wife actually wants a Rampage for her birthday, which is great cuz i didn't have a clue what to get for her.
That's awesome!

Deluge

I'd only use metal shielded bearings on the clutch bell. But so far my rubber sealed bearings have held up. They're easier to maintain, as well.

jeeper049687

ok got my parts today. gear plate fits. WOW yea bearings are much bigger. just one problem. ok i know when i took the gears off i should have taken a picture or atleast marked them. but you know how it can be just sat them aside and was like o i'll remember where they go, um nope picked um up looked down and went ugh i didn't mark them. so before i put them back in wrong and completely destroy something. once again im here asking to know what the order the gears go in. I have two 25tooth gear one 31 and one 29, one of the 25 tooth gears is wider than the rest. and i'll ask now, i was told the gears don't have to line up perfect just as close as possible? now every axle or transmission i've rebuild in a car at work. im seriously ocd about gear specs, clearances, measurements and contact paterns. so ? is this something i should get over with my redcat and forgetabout anyway since im going to order a belt drive anyway? or should i shim the gears up for perfect tooth contact? also where the center diff pinion/brake shaft comes through the gear plate there is one bearing in the main gear plate. has anyone put a bearing behind this bearing in the plate? it doesn't look like it would interfer with anything and why not for the extra support? "just realized there is a bearings and drives distributor about 2 blocks away from where i work,"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts