• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Got a new one

pipeous

So I took the airtronics servo out and put a hitec in. I haven't run the thing yet. my nitro bike steering servo went so why not...I tossed the airtronics in.. yup just fine. ran a tank on the bike outside...

I fixed my brushless dirt bike finally and tossed my 3s lipo in there... turns out my lipo was bad. shows voltage fine but died in a couple mins in the bike. so both my 3s lipos are bad. all this crap over lipos. I ran the bike with a lipo from the backdraft and the bike was fine.

now I can stop banging my head on the desk and go drive my car. must look like cro magnum man now

lightning73

Wow good to hear you finally got that nagging problem straightened out pipe. So it was the lipos this whole time huh? You know what to do now, its time to go piss off some asphalt...lol

pipeous

Nope, still glitching. I can't believe this. I have tried 3 different radios, I actually had troubles with the kill switch not always shutting down today too. I took the rx out of the radio box and mounted it to the steering plate. it glitched less but still did. I tried a nmh hump pack, and got rid of the bec... 3 throttle servos, 2 steering servos, 3 radios and rx's, 2 bec's, 4 different batteries, with and without killswitch.

it's sad cuz the new gearing was fast, and with the 100k and 50k dif oils it was a go kart. I had to turn the dual rate down to 55% to keep it from going sideways. once I ran a couple laps with this setup I was tossing it around. the car handles so awesome but this glitching is driving me nuts man

pipeous

ok, so since it was raining today, I decided to tackle the rally. I took one of the 1450 mah 3s tx packs and stuffed it into the radio box.. now all the stuff is in the box and the switch turns it on and off. I wired the lipo into the switch and the bec is after going into the rx. I have the balance plug hanging out the side for charging.

I also tossed a gws analog servo into the steering. it was out of a redcat or something from before. I usually change them because they are so slow. but to test if it's my steering servo, this will do. I had to make a custom horn for it... only 1 gws horn kicking around so I pop riveted a second servo arm on. it'll do for testing... I don't plan on keeping this servo in... so if it glitches again, I am baffled. if it solved the problem then either the solder on both my bec's were bad and I caught it soldering... or the steering servo is pooched and hitec will be getting an email hehe

DSCI0002-4.jpg

DSCI0001-6.jpg

pipeous

Now the bad news... I got to looking at the body. I had been emailing with Dino at Jet Pro about the pipe fitting. He was going to try and make something else for me... problem now, I can't use this body without a serious hack job. to get the body low enough for the wheelwells to fit, I need to drop it about 2.5 inches, maybe 2.75. I have 1.75 above the spark plug, so to get it low enough I will have to cut a hole in the roof and have the plug sticking out. we rarely have rollovers with these cars, semi more often than anything else hehe, so that's not the issue. I'd also have to cut a lot from the side for this pipe and maybe even remove the silencer... I can get about 2 inches without a major cut in the side, but to sink it right down properly, I'd almost have to cut all the taped off section out to clear the pipe, and have the plug almost completely exposed...

I also tried fitting the f1 tires on to try and fill the wheelwell but they are to wide of an offset.

DSCI0004-2.jpg

DSCI0003-3.jpg

DSCI0002-5.jpg

DSCI0001-7.jpg

pipeous

well after changing a bunch of electronics yet again, I still have a glitch. about the only things I haven't changed are the manual kill switch and the coil... so out comes the motor and have to look at the internals... I am so baffled on this one. I am running out of options to change... bad coil causing this?

pipeous

glitch only happens when it's running. and I have changed everything at least once now.... other than the coil and plug wire. I've tried different batteries, bec's, had 3 different throttle servos, 2 steering servos, 3 different radios and rx's, with and without kill switch... I use the same setups in my other 5th scales... I have 3 others here, and many of the 5th scales the other guys own now, I sold to them... so realistically I have used the same setup about 10 times... this car is possessed man!!

I filled my buggy with sand yesterday and needs a strip down, so I am going to do a motor swap with the rally and see what happens

pipeous

Last night I swapped the coil from my nutech buggy into the rally. I also used the wire to the kill switch as it is a shielded wire (another person mentioned that and I think he may be on to something). I am taking the buggy as well today and tossed the f1 tires on, so I'll see if that has solved the problem or if the problem is now in my buggy. at least process of elimination will tell me.

pipeous

Glitch is gone... it was the coil, the bad coil works in the buggy without freezing things up but it makes the external led on the kill switch flicker and it misses at full throttle. can't get the top end tuned...

I nearly wore out the set of stock tires today running. that was awesome. I'll have some cool vids as soon as buddy uploads them. we took turns doing some on board stuff. I know he got the clip of me t boning my bud's car with the semi. I ended up on my roof after that one LOL.

and the rally had an amazing crash today. we were side by side end of the sweeper end of straight. I touched the baja's front wheel. cartwheels and rolls and landed on it's wheels about 20 feet away haha. broke the bottom mount for my pipe but that is such a minor thing. small crack in the body front bumper to be expected.

we ran at our usual place but the college had classes in. so we had a lot of spectators. if I had 3 or 4 kits with me today I'd have sold them. the rally was really impressive. if I drove it sane and slowed down a bit it was hooked up. but I was doing foull out on the straight, quick off the throttle and held full until the end of the sweeper sideways for about 25-30 feet. very impressive car. mcd gears on it. too much fun

pipeous

going offroading this saturday at moo's new track. tried a set of fg marder tires on the rally. have to raise the body and hack it up a bit...

DSCI0001-8.jpg

pipeous

wel, it's that time again. I am stripping this beast down and redoing the difs etc. the 100k front 50k rear is way too thick. I hacked the body up to run the rally off road, as the buggy tires are taller and hit the body... so time for a new body.

I just wrote Advance Hobbies in Ontario (I get a lot of stuff from them for FG's) and ordered the mini cooper (well asked them to order, not sure if it is in stock or not but that's my next body and it's going back to on road).

DemonRC

Man that's freaking an awesome rally there. I wish Redcat didn't stop selling em or I would have picked one up awhile back.

pipeous

Thanks dude. people say they are weak? no way. I've had runaways when the glitching was happening and jumped a curb, I busted the pipe hitting a baja front wheel that launched it, it ran 2 days on an offroad track taking jumps. stock out of the box they handle awesome. I still haven't even changed shock oil.

I was offered a vac former for it today though. I met with the owner of western robotics. old friend and I have helped with product testing and design for a while. I am now contracting a bunch of work from them. he's been after me to contract soldering for a while now.

he bought a new automated vac former and has this one sitting at home in his garage. I just need to make the table a bit larger and can do 5th scale bodies... and it gets another person out running with us. if I do I'll buy another from the site sponsor, nitrorc. I am also getting a 4 axis cnc from western robotics. a sherline. I'll have all my stuff blinged out then. can even make gears once I figure it out hehe

auto detailing in winter sucks. I've done 3 vehicles for the dealership since the 15th. they hit the auction last night so I hope they bought some stuff. the lot is looking empty too. I had just joined a rock band for some fun and was thinking I might have to go do some bar gigs (haven't done that since early 80's) and today got the call from WR. having access to some of that equipment will be cool. he just bought a $300k lazer cutter to do some medical equipment... I'll be assembling those as well. another good score. karma is such a wonderful thing. just like the song, I'm a ramblin' man lol.

Toyonka

hey pipeous, that parking lot is a great place to run the cars. But if you want to hit the dirt, another great place that's about 15 min from that location is 32nd Ave & 192nd St. It's a huge gravel pit

pipeous

I'm not a gravel pit kinda guy. I need a track and people to race against. bashing is not my thing. though I will take a drive down there and see if we can't put together a makeshift track to run on. I live close to grace rd and there's miles of sand there, but that just kills everything and I have stopped going there

on road is definately my fav but the lack of 4wd's makes this car an oddball. there's one other redcat rally that shows once in a while, and my bud dave is tossing a 4wd conversion in his fg.

Toyonka

if it's a track that you're after, then man do I know the place for you. It's a mountain bike track with jumps and all :D and in the course of a year, I can count on both hands how many times it has been used by mountainers. The track is off of 200th st in langley between 46 & 48 ave (there is no 47 ave). The only problem is that the track has power lines that run above it, may cause frequency issues. :(

pipeous

I have to keep looking. They said the body wasn't available but I could order the 3 parts, special order. 175 wasn't bad for the purchase but the 300 shipping to them, then shipping and taxes to me was a bit steep lol

I kept the rally and got the little vac former. I hate getting rid of 5th scales, always want to play with a different one. I have 3 on roads and going to build another fg and do the stock car conversion to a baja.

but work has come to a stand still, so no buying right now. that leaves me lots of time to strip and clean so my toys should all be spotless and tight soon. I'm running this tv station online thing with sopcast. fight channel. adding new shows while I sit here and tinker. I love old martial arts stuff, bides my time

I am going to be getting the jet pro rear redcat pipe soon. my other is getting repaired. one goes in the rally one into the cen, just not sure which goes where yet. that's it for purchasing right now until work picks up. I start the soldering gig for western robotics as soon as the next run is done. I am testing out a new kill switch this week too they are making.

I'll go check out that mountain bike track, but there is a new track being built in sardis for 5th scale. and hey, going to the island means vancouver hobbies is there with his truck full of parts. I LIKE THAT haha

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts