• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Engine leaking gas?

vortech

So having trouble starting my stock engine for my XB (it doesn't start..that's the trouble). I noticed gas coming from the back side (below exhaust port). Did I blow a gasket? Sad thing is I have less than 8 tanks through the engine.

Thoughts?

Deluge

If it's at the base of the cylinder, you probably blew a cylinder gasket. Which is common with 2 bolt heads. If it's at the bottom of the exhaust port, could be a loose exhaust bolt.

ChuenouXiao

I think he is talking about the gasket exhaust maybe? If he has a stock exhaust and those stock gasket... it always gives me problem. That's why I upgraded to a Jetpro :D

G

I think he is talking about the gasket exhaust maybe? If he has a stock exhaust and those stock gasket... it always gives me problem. That's why I upgraded to a Jetpro
You upgraded to a tuned pipe due to a bad gasket??? Love it. Sounds like me, always looking for a reason to buy something new... LOL

vortech

So it must be the gasket because when I try to start it, I see dust being blown out the back of the engine (obviously not good).

I also have fuel climbing up in the vent tube as well.

I'm surprised the gasket went this fast though.... :mad:

So I have never cracked an engine open......any advice on what to look out for?

Last edited by a moderator:

caveman

Take your time no rushing. You will see the gasket when the head is pulled off and you'll se where it is leaking. If its the head gasket part of it will be missing or wet that's where your leak is. Keep it clean as possible and clean the block and head surface before installation of new gasket. Torque down the head bolts, the torque specs are on the forum somewhere. This is basic stuff if there is anything else someone will chime in.

G

Good stuff....

If your even partly mechanically inclined its fairly easy. You might want to take the opportunity to go to a ported cylinder if you go to the trouble to tear into it.

caveman

Hey rcdad what would be the best thing for upgrading the 30cc engine without swaping it? Is there a head kit for it just so much stuff out there.

vortech

Yes, that was my next question. If I am going to crack this engine open, should I consider upgrading it? If so, with what and how?

Thanks for all the help guys!

G

No on the crank and the rod is already a +2mm. So no need to purchase that either. I would use the paper gaskets that come with the kits. I know others have different opinions on the gaskets and I'm sure they will chime in.

Deluge

The first link is a bore-up kit meant for converting smaller cc engines to a 30.5. No porting done to it. Just basically a stock cylinder. Not worth it.

The second link is a Champ port. I have one myself, and I love it.

Stick with the paper gaskets. I've tried copper and I could never get the squish within spec.

If you're just replacing a gasket, there's really no need to upgrade. Just run what you have until it dies, and then upgrade. Just my opinion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts