• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Clutch problem

James1996

it about gone through nearly 12 liters of fuel and how would it be the clutch bell like would be happening that would cause it to be the clutch bell

GTS 666

Maybe the heat that is generated through the clutch and the bell could send the bell out of being round. And cause it engage early. Someone with more experience with this might chime in. Where is you location.

Deluge

If you're absolutely sure the clutch is installed correctly, and there's no alignment or binding issues with the clutch bell, it has to be a tune issue. Reset the needles to their base settings and see how it does.

Also, I don't know if anybody has asked, but do the wheels turn when you pull the pull start?

James1996

the wheels do not turn when i pull the pull start so that means it is definitely a tune problem. could there be a air leak

G

No. Sounds like a bad spring.

1.Make sure the servo is not applying pressure to the brakes.

2.With the truck off, Push the truck around. There should be very little drag. You should be able to give it a zoom and it should coast a few feet.

3.If there was not much drag, start the truck. Slow yor idle way down. If you don't know how. Richen up the low needle and back off the idle screw. Get the idle as slow as you can with it not stalling. The wheels now should not turn.

4.If they still spin with the motor, your clutch spring is bad. Possibly streched during installation. You will need a new spring.

Remember it is disengaging when not running. You said that the wheels don't spin with the pull starter. Engaging as soon as it starts equals bad spring if #2 was a yes.

Hope this clears things up.

Last edited:

James1996

No. Sounds like a bad spring.

1.Make sure the servo is not applying pressure to the brakes.

2.With the truck off, Push the truck around. There should be very little drag. You should be able to give it a zoom and it should coast a few feet.

3.If there was not much drag, start the truck. Slow yor idle way down. If you don't know how. Richen up the low needle and back off the idle screw. Get the idle as slow as you can with it not stalling. The wheels now should not turn.

4.If they still spin with the motor, your clutch spring is bad. Possibly streched during installation. You will need a new spring.

Remember it is disengaging when not running. You said that the wheels don't spin with the pull starter. Engaging as soon as it starts equals bad spring if #2 was a yes.

Hope this clears things up.

I have but the stock clutch back on with the stock spring. there is no pressure being applied to the brakes. I can push the truck and it does coast. I am going to play with the needles today and see if that helps going back to stock settings and working my way from there and if that doesn't help what do I do

G

Tuning only will effect the clutch if the idle is too high.

A 6000 rpm clutch engages when the rpms reach 6000

A 8000 rpm clutch engages when the rpms reach 8000

You get the idea.

You installed the 8000. That means the motor would have to be 8000 or higher to engage it. That's screaming. You did not mention you had a crazy fast idle. If you have a reasonably low idle, tuning will not fix a clutch problem:(

G

Ok understand.

Your stock clutch worked before you took it out right?

Did you take the stock spring and clutch apart when you took it off.

James1996

yes it did work before and no I havent taken it apart

Stricnine

does it sound like it idles high? ive read all the posts. if it engages at very low idle like about to kill the engine then it shouldnt be a Low speed needle tuning issue.

rcgasser

Stricnine said:
does it sound like it idles high? ive read all the posts. if it engages at very low idle like about to kill the engine then it shouldnt be a Low speed needle tuning issue.
Tuning will have nothing to do with the clutch engaging if it does not doe that with the old shoes he has probably stretch the spring to far now the spring is lose and engaging.

G

-rcgasser

He did also mention that the old clutch worked before he removed it. He then stated that the original clutch, springs & shoes remained intact. Should have worked when he reinstalled it.

-james1996

Something is being overlooked here, or is not as it seems. If you removed it working, and not disassembled, it will go back in working.

Please understand that all the suggestions are done without seeing your truck.

IMO remove the gear plate, and take pics and get them posted. Ever possible problem and solution has been listed here, that is clutch related. :confused:

James1996

I replaced the gasket now the tuning is way out it is bogging down so I leaned out the low speed needle then it still doesn't help does any one know the stock needle settings

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts