• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Clutch problem

G

The stiffer the spring the later it should engage. The spring holds the shoes away from the bell. As they spin faster the centrifugal force pushes the shoes into the bell. An 8000 rpm spring is stiffer than a 6000 rpm spring. A defective or broken spring could be the case. If there is debris in-between the shoes that could keep them from retracting. You need to take a look in there. If the truck is moving it is engaged.

James1996

the shoes are stiff i cant pull them apart but i can do this with the stock shoes and spring and the clutch bell is clean

G

When the truck is off can you spin the wheels with out the shoes rubbing on the bell. Another thing to check is the bearing for the bell. Also that the gear plate has not moved. Did you try reinstalling the original spring?

James1996

the gear plate hasn't moved the bearing is fine it is spinning freely and no friction and when the car is off the wheels move with the clutch bell moving

G

Do the wheels move freely or is there drag on the motor? What I am trying to determine is:

1. If no or low rpms and the clutch is disengaged but engages at a normal idle speed the spring is bad or installed incorrectly.

2. If there is always drag on the motor even when off, not disengaging, then then something is not installed correctly.

Maybe you could post some pics as I am just theorizing.

James1996

as I am at school the I don't have access to the car to take picture but it is installed the same as the this photo but i am using the hpi clutch shoes with the arrows facing me, as before i was using the stock set up.

rampage_clutch1.jpg

rampage_clutch1.jpg

/monthly_2011_09/rampage_clutch1.jpg.0f15f111147b4aabe08460721f38f7cc.jpg

James1996

and the spring cant be bad as I cant pull the shoes apart when they are off the car, as I can do with the old ones. so this must mean hey still have their tension.

G

Wow, I really don't know what else it might be. Just try to post photos when you can. I installed mine in about ten minutes and it's been rocken ever since. Take it apart take some pics in the process. You might just get it figured out in the process. I'm sure it's something small that was overlooked. Their is a lot of knowledge on this forum most acquired by experience. Get those photos up and some one will chime in if you still need help. Good luck!

James1996

can you put up some pics of what your looks like and is there any websites that i can follow to make sure that i am doing it right

Last edited by a moderator:

James1996

can you put up some pics of what your looks like and is there any websites that i can follow to make sure that i am doing it right

GTS 666

Those clutch shoes might be rubbing on the bell you could get a file and remove a tiny amount of shoe material for that little bit of clearance and reinstall to see how that goes as the clutch isn't expensive and it with wear out eventually.

James1996

is what the clutch spring should look like

100_2163.jpg

100_2163.jpg

/monthly_2011_09/100_2163.jpg.b47561dfcdc649aca75459ed8575de5e.jpg

James1996

ok will get one i will just use the stock clutch set for the moment if it is the spring that is just problem will find out soon when I assemble it all again and start the car

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Install the spring when the shoes are not aligned. Then hang onto the shoes against the floor and snap the shoes into place. I was able to do it with just my fingers.

James1996

switched over to the stock clutch and spring and still does the same thing what could be the problem

GTS 666

Honestly i don't know if stock spring and clutch shoes are doing the same thing than im baffled. The stock spring is 6000 rpm i believe so it should not engage early. How much run time does it have. Could it be the clutch bell?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts