• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Clutch problem

Ronk

I have an mt5 truck . I just installed a new hpi 8000rpm high response clutch. Ran truck & it is very slow now taking off & is not nearly as fast as it was before the switch. Motor is running fine . Are the 2 bolts that hold the clutch supposed to be tight or should they be snug ! I put the stock clutch back in & still having same problem - it feels like a car that's starting out in third gear -

Last edited by a moderator:

Deluge

The bolts should be as tight as you can get them by hand. Did you install the clutch backwards by any chance? Keep in mind that with the 8,000 RPM spring, the engine will need to get up to 8,000 RPM's before the clutch engages the clutch bell, as opposed to 6,000 or 6,500, whatever comes stock.

Here's a visual.

23ljlvb.jpg

Ronk

Thanks deluge for your help - I thought I was careful but you never know -I put the stock clutch back in & have the same problem - I will double check according to your diagram - the clutch is grabbing the bell housing but when I go full throttle it just seems like a car starting out in third gear & just runs like when it was stock - I have a high flow air cleaner & a CPI exhaust - the truck would scream before I switched clutches thanks a lot!,!!

Ronk

Hey deluge -I tried the 2 clutch screws finger tight & when I pulled the pull starter all 4 tires turned- I then tightened the screws a little more & it moves ok but still very sluggish - I switched back to my stock clutch & same thing - I used to be able to really spin tires & now can't break them loose - I have had it apart about 8 times - HELP ! driving me totally Nuts !!!!!

Bill_G

You want the screws tight, tight with a wrench, not just finger tight and loctite them too. Are you sure you got the hardware right like the diagram above?

Maybe post a pic. Something is wrong if stock is causing problems now too.

Deluge

If you're absolutely positive you installed it correctly, check for binding in the gear plate, the brakes, etc. Also, if you can post a picture, that would be helpful.

Ronk

Hey guys , I took pictures of my clutch & also my diff gears but we are trying to figure out how to send them to my post - before I re-assembled the motor , started the truck up & gave it gas - i could see the clutch spin& expand without the bell housing installed - I hope to post my pics soon - any other ideas please post cause this problem is driving me nuts

Ronk

Hey Guys Thanks for your help - I solved the problem- I knew it was something simple . Turns out I accidentally put the large diff gear on the Bell Shaft - it was supposed to be the outer center gear - it now screams !!! thought I was being careful but I guess that's why they call it a mistake ! thanks

rakemskr

I have a rampage mt v3 and the clutch engages at idle I have a cy 30.5 cc modified by esp and DDM racking brand new cy clutch I started it up and wheels start spinning right away

Jus0NE

Hey again guys, speaking of clutches I was trying to change my original clutch to the high response clutch. In order to take it apart will I only need the piston stopper to take it apart, or is there another tool that I need use to do the job?

csp1971

Contributor
Jus0NE said:
Hey again guys, speaking of clutches I was trying to change my original clutch to the high response clutch. In order to take it apart will I only need the piston stopper to take it apart, or is there another tool that I need use to do the job?
Yep, just the piston stopper.

James1996

rakemskr said:
I have a rampage mt v3 and the clutch engages at idle I have a cy 30.5 cc modified by esp and DDM racking brand new cy clutch I started it up and wheels start spinning right away
I have the same problem I have installed the hpi 8000rpm clutch and spring and as soon as I start the engine the wheels start moving

James1996

so how would i stop the car from moving it inst because of the clutch spring because that is really stiff and clutch other people have used and hasn't had problems, the car isnt revving high so why is the car moving

Deluge

Did you try richening the low speed needle? The clutch is engaging, so it's either revving high enough to engage, or the clutch has an issue. Try richening the low speed needle, if that doesn't help, double check the clutch.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts