• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Clutch carrier upgrade

ChuenouXiao

blak__jak said:
p-51 mustang best all round airplane ever at least i love it and your not going to change my mind so don't waste your time trying.
Can't agree more but I'll rather crash the Freewing Spirit then the P-51. Note, this is just my trainer unit :D

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
Pete makes it look sooo easy.
Been training with a RC airplane trainer on my Ipad :D Also been watching some flying tips on Youtube :D I'm confident I can fly this thing with ease :D Like what one of the guys are saying. "You're not driving the airplane like a car, you are simply guiding it through the air. It's simply flying on its own." :D

Last edited by a moderator:
G

ChuenouXiao said:
Been training with a RC airplane trainer on my Ipad :D Also been watching some flying tips on Youtube :D I'm confident I can fly this thing with ease. Like what one of the guys are saying. "You're not driving the airplane like a car, you are simply guiding it through the air. It's simply flying on its own." :D
Ok, I want to see some vids when you get it. :p I just need to find a bit of time in the daily routine to learn.

ChuenouXiao

I got home from work, installed my Lauterbacher clutch carrier :D Installed fuel line clips and fuel line clamp :D My XB is looking serious now :D Have to finish installing the gear plate and the linkage and I'm back online!!!! Will do that on my days off. Will let ya know how it goes :D

G

Sweet. That clutch carrier looks like a nice piece.

ChuenouXiao

My broken Lauterbacher High-Performance Clutch Plate for Zenoah/CY Engines

It broke on me just like the reguler clutch carrier... on the first tank! :( Is it really aluminum.... looks like its not completly aluminum :( What am I doing wrong? Why is it snaping on me like this? WHY!!!! I'm very disappointed and not happy :( Please help me guys.....

G

I did not expect to see that. That sux for sure. That piece looks like cast aluminum. It's definitely not billet. I would contact DDM on that part. Since you are snapping those regularly, tells me you might have another issue. Possibly something binding.

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
I did not expect to see that. That sux for sure. That piece looks like cast aluminum. It's definitely not billet. I would contact DDM on that part. Since you are snapping those regularly, tells me you might have another issue. Possibly something binding.
What could be binding? The only thing I can think of that may have contribute to this problem is the bearing inside the crankcase but it seems to be fine. So you have never broken a clutch carrier before Rcdad? Guys I need help with a solution. Without a solution... I'm afraid I can't run my XB at all now :( Please help, thanks guys....

G

I've never broken one. I haven't really heard of anyone breaking them more than once.

What about your clutch bell shaft. If you remove your belt and spin the clutch bell shaft, does it look true?

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
I've never broken one. I haven't really heard of anyone breaking them more than once.What about your clutch bell shaft. If you remove your belt and spin the clutch bell shaft, does it look true?
Nice and smooth RCdad. Very smooth in fact with no wobble. I notice I can't tighten the nut with the washer anymore but the clutch bell shaft does have about 1mm play but besides that.. it spins freely and smoothly. When I say play... I'm talking about the wobble from pushing the clutch bell in and out toward the bearing in the gear plate.

G

That's perfect for the clutch bell.....

Then you should inspect the clutch itself:

Are the pads wearing evenly?

Make sure they are not too tight on the plate. The spring washer takes up the slack. The bolts that hold on the clutch shoes should stop before they flatten the spring washer.

ChuenouXiao

RCDAD said:
That's perfect for the clutch bell.....Then you should inspect the clutch itself:

Are the pads wearing evenly?

Make sure they are not too tight on the plate. The spring washer takes up the slack. The bolts that hold on the clutch shoes should stop before they flatten the spring washer.
Yes the pads are wearing evenly and I torqued the bolts that are holding the pads to spec. Which is around 60 inch lb. I'm not sure on the way the washer are tighten but Rcdad I think it could be the 8k spring. The only way to troubleshoot this is to buy a preassembled 8k spring and clutch pad kit and pop it in. With this I would know if it's my 8k spring being slightly warp which causes stress to the clutch carrier during high rpm? I mean, do you think intalling a 8k spring by yourself is critical? If you force it in, sometime you can slightly bend it a bit which off set the balance of the pad during high RPM. As a result will cause wobble and break the clutch carrier? That is the only thing I can think of. My spring looks perfect on my pad though but who really knows beside the clutch carrier breaking. Only if we can check the balance of the pad and spring.... then we can tell. Like I say, the 8k clutch and pad would be the best troubleshooting solution?

G

I would try just a CY clutch plate with a new clutch shoe set with the 8k spring pre-installed.

GTS 666

I reckon that with excessive braking on bitumen could snap the clutch carrier as the engine is at high rpm and the clutch is still engaged but once you hit the brakes it is to much stress on the carrier. This is just a thought. I'm running a 4 shoe adjustable Elcon clutch that does away with the carrier.

G

GTS 666 said:
I reckon that with excessive braking on bitumen could snap the clutch carrier as the engine is at high rpm and the clutch is still engaged but once you hit the brakes it is to much stress on the carrier. This is just a thought. I'm running a 4 shoe adjustable Elcon clutch that does away with the carrier.
How does that work for you? I have wanted to try a 4 shoe, but have read of so many having issues and taking them back off.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts