• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Castle Mamba Monster 2200kv

jathomas3

killajb said:
jathomas3: Your issue is that with Baja wheels/tires and stock gearing.. you're geared for a top speed that would send your car into orbit. I highly doubt you'd ever see that thing top out anywhere. If you had the room and visibility, temps would ruin your day.My advice: switch back to stock wheels/tires until your XL2 comes in. Even then, buy yourself a smaller pinion.. you'll need it with the XL2 and TP motor on 8s anyway. At the very least, you car would be drivable and remain functional under its current configuration. Or.. like me, you can buy another XBE for the XL2/TP motor and make an awesome truggy out of it :)

P.S. (these two will help things dramatically)

link to heatsink and cooling fan for the motor:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=18022

link to BEC:

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/sportbec
I figured the bigger tires weren't helping anything. She was screaming though before the heat came on! Also, thank you for the links! I'm just waiting for my 7075rc motor mount, 44 and 48 tooth spur gear and 8mm bullets for between the motor/ESC. I'll be ready to roll once they arrive which should be very soon. I did buy a few pinions. I think I have an 8, 10, 14 and 16 on the way. I'm not sure what gear combos will fit with this motor. I soldered up my Castle Pro BEC and cap pack today. I'm one of the guys that had a helluva time with the cap pack. My soldering skills aren't the best with the big stuff though. I'm running 6.5mm bullets on the batteries leads. I think I've got all the bases covered but if anyone sees anything I'm missing please let me know. Here are a few pics of the motor and ESC/BEC. Thanks!

MotorESC.jpg

ESCBEC.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

killajb

Grab the heatsink/fan for this motor as well. It can be opened by spreading with two adjustable wrenches until it slides over the motor. Spread gently in increments until it will clamp over the motor casing.

As well, a butane soldering iron (sears or home depot) will help with those larger guage wires. Makes life a LOT easier.

jathomas3

Thanks guys! How much too small is that heatsink for this motor? I will definetly try the torch next time. My soldering iron goes up to around 800F but it was still rough for me. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good programming starting point for the Mamba XL2? Are the default settings ok? Thanks!

ninjagaiden

killajb said:
jathomas3: Your issue is that with Baja wheels/tires and stock gearing.. you're geared for a top speed that would send your car into orbit. I highly doubt you'd ever see that thing top out anywhere. If you had the room and visibility, temps would ruin your day.My advice: switch back to stock wheels/tires until your XL2 comes in. Even then, buy yourself a smaller pinion.. you'll need it with the XL2 and TP motor on 8s anyway. At the very least, you car would be drivable and remain functional under its current configuration. Or.. like me, you can buy another XBE for the XL2/TP motor and make an awesome truggy out of it :)

P.S. (these two will help things dramatically)

link to heatsink and cooling fan for the motor:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=18022

link to BEC:

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/sportbec
That's a neat cooling fan for the 56xx can!

Have any of you guys any experience of the KD (8mm to 5mm) bore reducer to drop to an 8T or 9T on the pinion using the stock spur gear? Is there a hole in the bore reducer that lets the pinion gear set screw engage with the flat blade on the motor shaft? If not, then I do't see how the pinion will stay secure...

Thanks

N

G

killajb said:
Grab the heatsink/fan for this motor as well. It can be opened by spreading with two adjustable wrenches until it slides over the motor. Spread gently in increments until it will clamp over the motor casing.As well, a butane soldering iron (sears or home depot) will help with those larger guage wires. Makes life a LOT easier.
I never thought of bending it open. Great idea. Too bad it's on backorder. I am going to try one.

jathomas3

ninjagaiden said:
That's a neat cooling fan for the 56xx can!Have any of you guys any experience of the KD (8mm to 5mm) bore reducer to drop to an 8T or 9T on the pinion using the stock spur gear? Is there a hole in the bore reducer that lets the pinion gear set screw engage with the flat blade on the motor shaft? If not, then I do't see how the pinion will stay secure...

Thanks

N
Robinson Racing makes an 8 tooth mod1.5 8mm bore pinion. The part number is RRPC8208. They problably make a 9 tooth as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

killajb

I never thought of bending it open. Great idea. Too bad it's on backorder. I am going to try one.
Takes ya about five minutes to do, and possibly saves a motor. I ordered a bunch of 'em awhile back and have had no issues opening them up either at room temp or place in an oven for about 10 minutes at 350F to make life even easier (although you have to handle the dang thing with oven mits afterwards.

ninjagaiden

Just got an email from Dan at KD. He says the bore reducer has a slot in it which lets the set screw through, which is good.

Also looking at the Hobbyking heatsink / fan combo that killaJB has, why not squirt a little TIM paste (like you'd use fitting a CPU cooler) in between the two when fitting it?

N

G

killajb said:
Takes ya about five minutes to do, and possibly saves a motor. I ordered a bunch of 'em awhile back and have had no issues opening them up either at room temp or place in an oven for about 10 minutes at 350F to make life even easier (although you have to handle the dang thing with oven mits afterwards.
I will try the heat. I guess I could hold it with pliers in front of a heat gun. Should work as good.

Deluge

ninjagaiden said:
Just got an email from Dan at KD. He says the bore reducer has a slot in it which lets the set screw through, which is good.Also looking at the Hobbyking heatsink / fan combo that killaJB has, why not squirt a little TIM paste (like you'd use fitting a CPU cooler) in between the two when fitting it?

N
Agreed. A little AS5 would help, for sure.

G

Another great idea. :)

bigfol

jathomas3 said:
Thanks guys! How much too small is that heatsink for this motor? I will definetly try the torch next time. My soldering iron goes up to around 800F but it was still rough for me. Does anyone have any suggestions on a good programming starting point for the Mamba XL2? Are the default settings ok? Thanks!
Most of the factory settings for the xl2 will be ok, just make sure you check or set the lipo cell count to auto and I would perform the motor torque test/setting, it gauge's the true KV rating of your motor and then allows you to adjust the torque settings, it really bought my motor to life.

jathomas3

bigfol said:
Most of the factory settings for the xl2 will be ok, just make sure you check or set the lipo cell count to auto and I would perform the motor torque test/setting, it gauge's the true KV rating of your motor and then allows you to adjust the torque settings, it really bought my motor to life.
Thank you again Sir! Do you use the current limiter? If so what do you limit the current to? Also, how do you have your torque limiter set? Thanks!

bigfol

jathomas3 said:
Thank you again Sir! Do you use the current limiter? If so what do you limit the current to? Also, how do you have your torque limiter set? Thanks!
I have the puch control turned off, this truck is tough and the drive line can handle it. My trigger finger is my punch control,LOL. I have the current limt set to 250amps(default setting I think), if your pulling more than that something is wrong,binding drive line etc. I have my torque setting as a high as it will go, can't seem to kill this motor, so I don't have any worries about setting it so high, and it really makes my truck fly.......

jathomas3

Thanks for the reply! I was asking about the torque limiter not the punch control. I started with it at 5 and I am working my way up from there. I kept the current limiter at default also. Thanks!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts