• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Castle Mamba Monster 2200kv

Dirtconvert

I don't know what amp the 1717 is but the 2200 is 120a. That may have something to do with temps? Maybe the gauge of wire on the HW? Cc is 8 guage. I have my esc at all default settings. I have not checked my timing yet but if it is not at 0 it will be. The mm makes a peak hp of 6.7 hp at 25 volts. 1 hp is the measurement of moving 550lbs 1 foot. The strongest human is capable of producing 3/4 hp. A far as the heat difference, maybe the 2200 was made using better materials?

hobbsa23

Obeast44 said:
By all rights the 1717+ HW 150 should work fine. Ive been preoccupied with yet another Baja rebuild lately and have honestly neglected my XB-E a little. It sucks trying to get something tore down and rebuilt on a tight budget and an even tighter deadline!
I'm seeing the 1717 motor for over 200 bucks... :( Any links you have where i can get it cheaper?

hobbsa23

Dirtconvert said:
I don't know what amp the 1717 is but the 2200 is 120a. That may have something to do with temps? Maybe the gauge of wire on the HW? Cc is 8 guage. I have my esc at all default settings. I have not checked my timing yet but if it is not at 0 it will be. The mm makes a peak hp of 6.7 hp at 25 volts. 1 hp is the measurement of moving 550lbs 1 foot. The strongest human is capable of producing 3/4 hp. A far as the heat difference, maybe the 2200 was made using better materials?
I can still do 50mph with the 1717 though right? I just can't drop 300 plus for a motor and esc mmm combo.

Obeast44

Banned
hobbsa23 said:
I'm seeing the 1717 motor for over 200 bucks... :( Any links you have where i can get it cheaper?
It was on sale at Castle's website a while back for $70. They have sense sold out of them and it is discontinued until further notice. It has been mentioned by Patrick the owner of CC that it may be making a comeback.

hobbsa23

Dirtconvert said:
Ok. Just did speed runs till stock Lipo dump and clocked at 49.8 mph. This is with stock batteries mind you, once I install my Nano Techs I belive I will get an addition 3-4 mph easily. One casualty however, the wheel bearings have gone the way of the dinosaur. Time for some new ones. My hottest temp was 156.6. Again this was after 33 minutes of hard running on concrete. Made a table top jump out of wood pallets and I love this Redcat XBE 'nuff said.
now thats the kinda speed i wanna get. :D

Dirtconvert

I just checked my speed calculator and with a final drive of 4:1, 156mm tires, 41t spur and 10t pinion and a motor speed of 37,800 max rpm( based on 1500kv x 25.2-3s fully charged at 4.2v per cell) the top speed would be 41.10 mph with an 11t pinion would be 45.21 mph. Not sure about anyone elses' calculator but this one has been within 1.5 mph of correct everytime. This is with the CC 1717. You can find the one I use at

http://www.rcracing.com/Gear_Ratio_Program_1100.cfm

If that doesn't work, RCRacing.com and on the left is gear ratio. Just my two cents. The gear ratio is a guess, I saw someone posted on another site the XBE ratio was 4.1.

Last edited by a moderator:

hobbsa23

Dirtconvert said:
I just checked my speed calculator and with a final drive of 4:1, 156mm tires, 41t spur and 10t pinion and a motor speed of 37,800 max rpm( based on 1500kv x 25.2-3s fully charged at 4.2v per cell) the top speed would be 41.10 mph with an 11t pinion would be 45.21 mph. Not sure about anyone elses' calculator but this one has been within 1.5 mph of correct everytime. This is with the CC 1717. You can find the one I use at
http://www.rcracing.com/Gear_Ratio_Program_1100.cfm

If that doesn't work, RCRacing.com and on the left is gear ratio. Just my two cents. The gear ratio is a guess, I saw someone posted on another site the XBE ratio was 4.1.
Well, the 1717 is out now it's between the 1520 and the 2200 mmm.

Dirtconvert

I am with everyone else on this...top speed is for road cars!! I don't have enough room to get this wide open yet. Just gps'd the car in the end of a cul de sac and quickly ran out of room. In 125 feet, I hit 49.8 mph. With the 2200kv, its almost impossible to get it to top speed quicker since the motor just lights the tires up. Now as far as torque goes, the 2200 has the stocker 980kv beat all over the map. Having the tuneable ESC's is a great help to tame the motor. If you want to squeeze your stocker buy the programmer. The HW 150 is a good ESC and programmable too. I bought mine from hobbypartz.com for 17.00 thereabouts. If you can solder, you can use any motor that does not use more than 150 amps continuous with the HW; you would just need to change the plugs. Can get them anywhere for under 10.00 for a set. The buggy is great at 40, faster than that is hard to guage because of the size. You get into trouble real fast!! I only use the full throttle runs to make people say "WOW". Other than that its half throttle with full throttle blips to get the buggy to swing in turns. To have the instantaneous power is a real plus over the stock with its horrible lag. I sat at the bottom of a 12 foot (center section) wood table top we made, and up the 4 foot ramp was easily able to clear the entire top and landing. The XBE flies like an arrow.

Obeast44

Banned
I use this speed calculator: http://scriptasylum.com/rc_speed/top_speed.html

Here is the numbers I have on the XB-E. Its got a 3:1 differential ratio, 1:1 transmission ratio ( no tranny ), 46 spur and 10t pinion. Then fill in applicable KV, tire size, Cell count and cell voltage. Voila ya should have the top speed.

At 3.7v/cell on 6s the XBe should have a top speed of 45+mph. On fresh pack with 4.2v/cell top speed jumps to almost 52mph.

I just want mine to be a rocket, top speed is useless for me. Anything over 40 is really overkill.

hobbsa23

Yeah the guys I run with typically do a lot of speed runs and if you can't keep up you get left in the dust. We usually form a line with like 12 bajas and do strait on drag races all the time. So, I would like to have that option to hit 50mph at will. I used to have the E Revo, but we don't have any good off road sites so we would jus run on open grass fields with strait aways. The e revo only did 35mph outta the box and i had mine geard for 40mph and i got left in the dust every time. No contest so i sold it to go toward getting the xbe. Oh i failed to mention there were alot of complaints that the erevo's drive train couldn't with stand 22.2v without breaking at least once per run

I gotta come correct with the xbe. 50mph is what i gotta get to. I will have to decide between the 1520 cc or the 2200 mmm. Both do 50mph..Hmmmm

killajb

Mentioned earlier, but perhaps worth a repeat...

killajb said:
I ran my 1717 for awhile, but wanted to use that for another project.
Since, I've installed a CC1520 in place (which is pretty close to the stock motor's dimensions but 1600kv instead of 980kv). Interesting enough, my 1717 ran warmer (although never hot) than the 1520.

My guess is WOT (wide open er.. um.. "throttle"). Brushless motors in general under no load or loaded don't like to be run full bore for extended periods of time. My 1717s have always had brutal power and low-end torque to throw around my converted Muggy and LST XXL with ease. Top speed I rarely cared about as the vehicles have a relatively high center of gravity and would topple over hundreds of yards away knowing my luck.

With this car, one is more inclined to dart around like a land missile. So I think perhaps your driving style has a hand in things warming up.

To counter this, get a motor that can move the car around proper, but has room to spare in the speed department. Stock pinion with the 1520 on 6s is way proper man. After dumping my 5800 mah packs I'm lookin at 140f, and I live in South Florida!

Ah, one more thing.. the CC blower is neat looking and all that.. but not quite as effective as the blue heatsink/fan combo I referenced earlier.

Dirtconvert

With the 2200kv on 6s with peak voltage you are 5k rpm from the max rpm of the motor and that is with stock gearing.

lateralrectus

just finished my fourth setup in my xbe. I'm going through motors like water, because there are no 7t pinions that match our spur. I got an 8t and 7t from kershaw dsigns, but not only do these gears fit poorly, they don't mesh with the xbe spur.

I have a CC 1600kv in now with a stock 10t pinion: The car is unreasonably fast, but even after a few minutes of front yard bashing, the motor and esc both have a fever. I have CC 2200kv around, and I would certainly throw it in, but given the temp issue with the 1580, I'm not optimistic. Dose anyone know where they sell 7t o 8t pinions for the xbe? I have no doubt that the 1600 will blow up, and I think that it is a waste of time to reinstall my 1580 withouth proper gearing, so where do find it??

Indeed, we may just have to wat until 7075rc finishes his motor mount and buy a lower kv leopard to be used with a stock pinion and a larger spur gear.

Ol' fart

close

Motor mount is done, now I'm trying to make some gears for it. The gear people want too much for the Steel ones. by the time they are machined to fit the cost would be 50.00 a gear. I'll try aluminium and Delrin and see if they hold up to my 1717.

Dirtconvert

Wow, have you checked all your wheel and drivetrain bearings? All the bearings on the XBE are the same size and I am positive of the same quality. Have you checked or changed your diff fluid? If you are smoking so many motors but using the same ESC, there could be a problem with the ESC. Time to think of other areas causing the motor to be over stressed. Gearing down may not be the solution. Have you gone back to stock or tried the 11t pinon?. Just trying to brainstorm on this situation. Good luck.

lateralrectus

Dirtconvert: The car is a month or two old. How often does the diff fluid need to be changed? The differentials did seem a bit stiff out of the box, but not too much different from my Baja.

I have gone through two Castle 1717's. The 1600 kv is in there now, and the temps are still shooting up. How would you check the bearings? The car (without the motor in), seems to roll OK. It doesn't seem locked up at all. The ESC temp rises along with the motor, but I haven't (I thought!) had any trouble with the stock ESC. I am using the stock 10T pinion that the car came with right now. Could a busted ESC cause the motors to burn out? Given what I've heard so far [about the 1717], I thought the temp. thing wasn't unique.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts