• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Castle Mamba Monster 2200kv

Dirtconvert

Ok guys here it is. I decided on a whim to install the CC mamba monster 2200 kv in the buggy after weighing my buddys decked out savage and it came in at 14 lbs. I put my buggy on same scale and without batteries came in at 16.4 lbs. Stock pinion is a 5mm bore so no problems there or with the concentric mounting ring. My motor temps are in the high 130's to low 150's under wide open throttle runs on pavement for 10 minutes and this is without the castle fan on the motor. ESC is 114 degrees. According to Castle, the sweet spot for the motor is 150-160 degrees with a warning at 185. On the gear charts with a 4.1 final ratio, I am projected at 52 mph. The mamba monster has no issues what so ever pushing this XBE around!! Been running literally all day and no problems. I will keep you posted but if you are looking for a system it seems the Castle Creations Mamba Monster 2200kv will do you right. I wll keep you posted if anything changes. :D :D

Dirtconvert

Ok. Just did speed runs till stock Lipo dump and clocked at 49.8 mph. This is with stock batteries mind you, once I install my Nano Techs I belive I will get an addition 3-4 mph easily. One casualty however, the wheel bearings have gone the way of the dinosaur. Time for some new ones. My hottest temp was 156.6. Again this was after 33 minutes of hard running on concrete. Made a table top jump out of wood pallets and I love this Redcat XBE 'nuff said.

DemonRC

That's some good news. Could you try also running in short grass or dirt? I'd be curious about the offroad temps.

Dirtconvert

I will do just that. I do not think however that there will be any issues. My buddy with the Savage and same CC setup with my 6000mah 35c 3s batteries was temping at 153 degrees. I never made it to the bike jumps today as I had hoped. I only have Tues and Wed when I can get away to do that. Next week is another shot though. I will be sure to post videos and more info.

hobbsa23

Please put some pics of the motor mounted in the buggy. I would like to get a look at the fit. Why wouldn't you go with the 1717 motor just curious?

Dirtconvert

I was advised by a very good resource that the heat of the 1717 was very prohibitive. I had the Monster not being used so I decided I would try it out. I will get some pics up in a bit.

hobbsa23

NICE!! I see that you didn't keep the hobbywing ESC on the buggy. Figure you want them to match. Thanks alot. My goal is to run 6s at 50mph sooo, can i just use the hobby wing ESC with the MMM? The bullet connectors will be a match to the stock ESC?

Dirtconvert

Sorry, not even close. One reason I changed and just kept the Monster system together. Its a shame really, I just bought the LCD programmer for the HW ESC and it hasn't showed up yet! Nothing a quick trip to Radio Shack can't fix though( to change the plugs I mean). I am uploading a quick video we just shot on my phone so I should have a youtube link shortly. In case I can't get the link here, the title is: Redcat XB-E with CC 2200kv on 6s.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Dirtconvert

Everything is stock as far as gearing. It took about 10 minutes to get my mesh correct. I lubed all the bearings, pins,etc.., My diff oil is 7000 front and rear and I have all my dog bones and drive shafts with "o" rings to quiet it down and take some slack out of the drivetrain.

hobbsa23

Dirtconvert said:
Sorry, not even close. One reason I changed and just kept the Monster system together. Its a shame really, I just bought the LCD programmer for the HW ESC and it hasn't showed up yet! Nothing a quick trip to Radio Shack can't fix though( to change the plugs I mean). I am uploading a quick video we just shot on my phone so I should have a youtube link shortly. In case I can't get the link here, the title is: Redcat XB-E with CC 2200kv on 6s.....
Thanks for being so helpful!

hobbsa23

Obeast44 said:
Nice video, I cant believe that thing runs so cool! Im gonna have to work on my setup it seems!
So, u think i should go with that setup instead of the 1717 and the hobby wing esc?

Dirtconvert

Obeast had said his 1717 had temperatures he felt were too high. With only a 2lb difference between my XBE and an Hpi Savage I think the Monster system is a great fit. I am installing a motor fan to provide a bit more cushion. This is my opinion, keep in mind I am no expert.

Dirtconvert

Hey Obeast, I use a post it note folded in half to set my mesh. I tighten the far left screw to just past snug then the far right screw same way. Then back to second screw from left to just past snug and finally the top middle screw as tight as I can. I use a drop of red loctite on all screws. Once tight I use the spur and roll the paper out. It should be a nice accordian shape with no tears. If the teeth cut through the paper the mesh is too tight, if the paper is not hard creased into the shape of the gear teeth then its too loose. I have all my dog bones and drive shafts with "o" rings on each end to take out some of the slack, keep things a bit quieter and absorb some of the lash of the drive train. I lubed all my bearings and pins with T9 teflon. I use motorcycle chain wax on my spur and pinion to keep them lubed and quiet. If any of that helps??

Last edited by a moderator:

Obeast44

Banned
I use a business card when I set my mesh but its still a bit noisy. Looks like i'm gonna try the post it method.

What gets me about the whole setup is this. The MMM w/2200kv should run alot hotter than my HW 150a w/1717 does. That motor is designed to pull that load, whereas the 2200 is designed for 1/8 truggies.

Im gonna default all the ESC settings, reset mesh and try again. Ive been running with no timing and max punch control. I have a few ideas why I'm running so hot. It could be my lead finger + grass = Hot hot hot. :D

Keep in mind I do not have a temp gun and always use my fingers to test heat. I go by the 2 second rule on the ESC/Motor. Looks like I'm gonna add a temp gun to my DDM order today :D

Obeast44

Banned
hobbsa23 said:
So, u think i should go with that setup instead of the 1717 and the hobby wing esc?
By all rights the 1717+ HW 150 should work fine. Ive been preoccupied with yet another Baja rebuild lately and have honestly neglected my XB-E a little. It sucks trying to get something tore down and rebuilt on a tight budget and an even tighter deadline!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts