• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Castle Mamba Monster 2200kv

Vision

Nice, what speeds do you think you are getting killajb ?

Do you have a picture of the setup ?. How did you connect the castle motor to the ezrun esc ?.

killajb

Speeds are around 50 mph on the street but with the stock wheels/tyres it's like driving on ice. On grass or around the track it's as fast if not faster than all of the 1/8 scale cars out there. Definitely plenty of speed for this chassis, if not a little too much. Here's some pics of my setup. I used standard Castle-sized female bullets on the ESC (stock ones were kinda small) and just left the stock male bullets on the 1520.

CIMG0311.jpg

CIMG0311.jpg

/monthly_2011_12/CIMG0311.jpg.92aea9c07d45d7729247e298c0460dbb.jpg

Vision

Wow thanks for the pic!. I think this is the motor route I will end up going.

jolsen

hello i use 2200/mamba 2- 18.5 5500 . keps rs down very fast,have a xt8s that use those batteries,don't have to purchase more, very long run times,lower heat too stock gearing 40700 motor speed stock is22000 .apears to be about perfect

killajb

You may never switch back to the stock motor.. Just make sure you are using decent batteries. The stock ones won't support the CC 1520 motor and will surely puff after a few runs. As well, take the opportunity to install 6.5 bullets on the esc and your stock motor (to switch back and forth).

Vision

I have a set of new castle bullets, so I will just change the esc wires to the 6.5's. Proly won't use the stock motor if the 1520 works well.

What batteries are you using ?. I plan to use two 4000mah 6s zippy's in parallel

killajb

So long as they're 30C or above, you should be fine. I'm using dual 6S 5000 mah 40C Zippys.

Vision

I have 40C 4000 zippy's.

Did the 5000mah's fit ??. Our battery tray is kinda narrow for them no ?

landmissle

I have the 1717 in mine with the HW ESC with the stock pinion. Off road high speed runs are resulting in the mid 150's. When this same motor was in my losi XXL it would get hot when it was geared such that the motor was spinning high RPM. When I put a larger pinion in it that temps were lower.

landmissle

The 1717 and HW seems to be a good combo for me. With stock gearing and 7-1/2" tires i'm hitting 60 mph. I have limited space on my street so I'm thinking with more room it will go even faster. Batteries are 5000mah 20C. Motor temps are getting into the low 150's. ESC is under 120. Since I bought this used I have no idea what the ESC settings are. Ordered the programer from KD.

bigfol

landmissle said:
The 1717 and HW seems to be a good combo for me. With stock gearing and 7-1/2" tires i'm hitting 60 mph. I have limited space on my street so I'm thinking with more room it will go even faster. Batteries are 5000mah 20C. Motor temps are getting into the low 150's. ESC is under 120. Since I bought this used I have no idea what the ESC settings are. Ordered the programer from KD.
What esc are you using with it,fightercat????

killajb

Update as far as functionality: Stock ESC and CC 1520 works like a charm with stock gearing (pinion/spur) and stock wheels/tires. I'm using dual 3S 5000mah 50C packs, which seem perfect in terms of overall runtime and temps. Heatsink/fan on motor as well. I can run until packs reach low voltage cutoff each time without having to even monitor temps any more. Granted, I run one set of packs, then let vehicle rest (while running another) and then returning to action.

**edit** also using a Sportbec BEC to power the steering servo and cooling fans, probably helps the ESC perform without the load of having to supply power to those things..

Purchased another XBE which I'm in the process of "truggifying" with 7075RC goodies and larger diameter Neutech wheels/tires topped off with a beetle body. But I'm going to run the CC 2028 in that one.

Last edited by a moderator:

ninjagaiden

Thanks for the update. I just fitted a Leopard 4082 1600Kv motor to mine (figured this is closest match to the CC1520) and did some test runs up and down on tarmac. Using 2x 6S 5000Mah Zippys so my setup will be a bit heavier than yours. Punch and timing set to 1. 85% D/R on throttle. After 10 min max temp was 135F.

Going to fit the CC Blower off my Mamba monster system, run with the shell fitted and on short grass and see what happens...

N

jathomas3

While I'm waiting for a few things to get my XL2/5692 TP Power system installed I decided to put a Castle 1520 in to see how it does. The buggy has stock gearing and Baja front tires/wheels all around. Im running dual 3s 5000mah 40c packs in series and the performance is great. But the temps are quickly exceeding my comfort level. After a seven minute run through a mix of grass, dirt and asphalt the motor was 160F and the highest temp on the ESC was 172F. I really hope the XL2/5692 combo runs much cooler on 8s with similar performance. I'm planning to go 48/11 on the gearing with that setup.

ninjagaiden

jathomas3 said:
While I'm waiting for a few things to get my XL2/5692 TP Power system installed I decided to put a Castle 1520 in to see how it does. The buggy has stock gearing and Baja front tires/wheels all around. Im running dual 3s 5000mah 40c packs in series and the performance is great. But the temps are quickly exceeding my comfort level. After a seven minute run through a mix of grass, dirt and asphalt the motor was 160F and the highest temp on the ESC was 172F. I really hope the XL2/5692 combo runs much cooler on 8s with similar performance. I'm planning to go 48/11 on the gearing with that setup.
That's interesting and just what I was worried about. Baja front wheels are 185mm diameter vs 150mm for the stock which won't help the motor temps. Did you run a fan on the 1520? With that front bulkhead I am not sure how good the airflow is?

I suspect I am going to go down the same route as you in the end...

N

killajb

jathomas3: Your issue is that with Baja wheels/tires and stock gearing.. you're geared for a top speed that would send your car into orbit. I highly doubt you'd ever see that thing top out anywhere. If you had the room and visibility, temps would ruin your day.

My advice: switch back to stock wheels/tires until your XL2 comes in. Even then, buy yourself a smaller pinion.. you'll need it with the XL2 and TP motor on 8s anyway. At the very least, you car would be drivable and remain functional under its current configuration. Or.. like me, you can buy another XBE for the XL2/TP motor and make an awesome truggy out of it :)

P.S. (these two will help things dramatically)

link to heatsink and cooling fan for the motor:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=18022

link to BEC:

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/products/sportbec

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts