• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Best OBR engine for the Redcat Chimera?

talunceford

Hey all,

I am in the process of getting my Chimera drivetrain hardened enough to withstand the abuse of a full mod race engine. I've got the aluminum plate by 7075rc with the carrier. What else should I look at hardening prior to installing the race motor? Better bearings throughout? I am guessing they would be the first to go. Is there a different gear set that isn't made by RedCat that is available too? Seems to me that the gears might be a tad weak. Maybe a hardened set?

Also, what engine is everyone considering for the Redcat chassis? Lots of choices to look at. I guess I am more curious than anything.

Anyway, thanks for any suggestions....

Tim

Last edited by a moderator:

talunceford

I would think that the belt drive would generate MUCH less heat and be a better solution. I will look into that as well. Thanks!

Ildy666

Sleeve ur diff. cups that helps keeping them from splitting.

I'm in the process of doing that to my son's new chimera we also got the aluminum gear plate

Ildy666

talunceford said:
Nice, maybe we can compare notes.
Sure will do

So far we have new gear plate,throttle servo,kill switch,vented tank,volt meter,

I bought it on Craigslist brand new for $300 with a gt2b 3ch radio with lipo battery and the aluminum tuned pipe so we have upgrade $$$room

Next will be a jetpro and carb/intake

But for a 15 year old boy he loves it. been really rock solid so far...

talunceford

Ildy666 said:
Sure will do So far we have new gear plate,throttle servo,kill switch,vented tank,volt meter,

I bought it on Craigslist brand new for $300 with a gt2b 3ch radio with lipo battery and the aluminum tuned pipe so we have upgrade $$$room

Next will be a jetpro and carb/intake

But for a 15 year old boy he loves it. been really rock solid so far...
The JetPro is a great investment. It REALLY woke the 30cc engine up. However, I've been chewing up gears faster than I can get supplies. Yeah, I am looking at as many aluminum parts as possible. With Dan from 7075rc in the midst of a shop move, I am waiting for him to ship out my plate. Studying for an exam atm, so no real time for rc stuff..... HOWEVER, once this cert has been passed, I will begin the teardown of the Chimera and get it ready for the plate. Probably going to upgrade to savox servos in the future. Lots of choices.

Last edited by a moderator:

talunceford

Ok, next question. I think I have narrowed it down to a couple different models of OBR engines. The 7.5hp full mod 6274, or the 8.2hp full mod reed 6316. Still waiting on 7075rc to ship out my plate. I am contemplating on either dropping the cash on the powerplant or getting all of my plastic parts upgraded to aluminum before the powerplant is ordered. I think the right course would be to get all of the aluminum parts in place, run the factory engine until everything is hardened that can be, THEN drop the race motor in.

rroberson7805

talunceford said:
Hey all, I am in the process of getting my Chimera drivetrain hardened enough to withstand the abuse of a full mod race engine. I've got the aluminum plate by 7075rc with the carrier. What else should I look at hardening prior to installing the race motor? Better bearings throughout? I am guessing they would be the first to go. Is there a different gear set that isn't made by RedCat that is available too? Seems to me that the gears might be a tad weak. Maybe a hardened set?

Also, what engine is everyone considering for the Redcat chassis? Lots of choices to look at. I guess I am more curious than anything.

Anyway, thanks for any suggestions....

Tim
I have thought about hardening gears also. To make a long story short when I was a teenager I worked at a metal shop for a short period of time and one of my jobs was to heat up u bolts and imideatly drop them in water, this made the metal harder, anyone see any reason why this would not work on these redcat gears? I'm about to buy a 2 speed so thought about trying it since they will be on the shelf.

RampageHopUps

They are hardened. Just not with the best material money can buy. I made really good gears about 6 years ago, but there wasn't enough interest.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts