• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

2 speed transmission problem

rroberson7805

Fixed the exhaust leak gasket, put yet another new plug in it, lowered the needles even less than factory setting and adjusted up and down and still black plug after 15min. I have spent so much time trying to get this thing running that I don't want it anymore. Very disappointed right now.

rroberson7805

I don't think the problem is the setting on the needels. The throttle goes up and down sometimes by itself, do you think something is wrong with my fuel flow and it's not concistant? I made my fuel tank vented. Used a airplane fuel filter on the line also. I am getting tired of working on this damm thing. Now it's another day of no fun but all work, greatly disappointed.....

andyken

Check the head bolts or head gasket for a leak too.

I had a stock carb on mine used, and assume the prev owner tightened them too much?

It would run, but only like 3/4 turn out or less

I replaced the carb and was fine...now my fuel lines weather cracked and I need to order a new set .

rroberson7805

I got the air filter at a local Yamaha shop, thought it would look good and not sure what it goes to but it's for small engines. You think it could be causing problems? It's up high where there is less dirt and looks great with the body on in my opinion, you can see its big chrome thru the windshield. Thinking of taking it off and buying a filter made for it anyways but it's not priority right now. View attachment 7877

uploadfromtaptalk1446994574376.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1446994574376.jpg

/monthly_2015_11/uploadfromtaptalk1446994574376.jpg.a60f76de16d9737e2a88d717cddc44bc.jpg

rroberson7805

I cleaned the outside and checked for leaks all the way around where the head meets the base of the motor and where that gasket is, also the 2 bolts are still super tight. That means good right? When I replaced the exhaust gasket I scraped the exhaust port for carbon, it had some build up but not much, when doing that I glanced inside looking thru the exhaust port with a flashlight in the spark plug hole and it looked fine, a little blackness but not near as much as exhaust port. I did finally get it running and did quite well for 20 min this morning. Maybe it just needed to be ran hard, I took it to a open parking lot and floored it for a good 15min.

rroberson7805

When the 2 speed transmission shifts to 2nd gear should I notice something happening like motor rev difference? I'm not sure about this yet but it might only be running in 1st gear.

rroberson7805

Reason for me thinking that is according to the direction the paw that grabs the hub for 2nd gear looks like it's backwards and I do not see a way to spin it around the other way. It seems like it should be facing the opposite way for the paw to grab the hub when it spins fast enough to engage for 2nd gear. I will get pics of this paw and it's direction when I get back home.

alfred e numan

the 2 bolts set up provides not so great support for the carb and air filter. if nylon intake manafold gaskets - mostly the gaskit thats between the head-and manafoldiis prone to deforming and leaking. the added weight of the big air filter would add to this problem. - the gasket i just mentioned - i do not use it. i go to the ddm site and buy and install a graphite coated stainless steel gasket. - also, as these nylon gaskets deform, they can partally block the holes that are for the carbs pulse - pressure. just another thing to check out abd be aware of. the mess up above-- its the nylon gasket between the head and the intake manafold this is prone to deforming and leaking. d.b.

Phill

rroberson7805 said:
When the 2 speed transmission shifts to 2nd gear should I notice something happening like motor rev difference? I'm not sure about this yet but it might only be running in 1st gear.
I would imagine you should hear the revs drop when it changes up.

rroberson7805

alfred e numan said:
the 2 bolts set up provides not so great support for the carb and air filter. if nylon intake manafold gaskets - mostly the gaskit thats between the head-and manafoldiis prone to deforming and leaking. the added weight of the big air filter would add to this problem. - the gasket i just mentioned - i do not use it. i go to the ddm site and buy and install a graphite coated stainless steel gasket. - also, as these nylon gaskets deform, they can partally block the holes that are for the carbs pulse - pressure. just another thing to check out abd be aware of. the mess up above-- its the nylon gasket between the head and the intake manafold this is prone to deforming and leaking. d.b.
Good info, thank you. Next question is all that something I can disassemble? I have had the carb off but not the head. And thinking of some kind of support brace for that big air filter.

rroberson7805

Ice_2k said:
You definetely need to hear it shift:
Yep, sure do. What was all that looking down from windshield? His looks a lot different but my motor should jerk like that one also and it's not. I will get those pics of paw assembly and the direction it rotates asap.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.