• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

12s esc from kershaw

BoukeG

I'm a bit new in the capacitor thing. I think the uF value is the amount of capacity it holds right? And the voltage should be somewhat higher then the lipo amount voltage.

I also think the temperature is kind a important? Is there any quality difference I need to take into account? Also, would 1 2000uF, be the same as 2 1000uF?

Kaz the Minotaur

Yes

Yes

Yes, you need low ESR caps which will withstand higher temps.

I'm sure there would be come quality difference. I bought mine on Ebay. I'll look, later this morning, and see what brand mine are

Yes, I remember hearing that it was better to have several caps with less uF that one cap with a large amount of uF.

BoukeG

Okay, thanks for confirming. I think I know the reason for getting multiple is better then 1. The way I 'see' ripple voltage is (I'm always trying to visualize things): battery 'fills' the capacitor. When pulling the throttle the battery supplies the power, however, since the brushless systems are so powerful, the battery cannot keep up with the amount of power so the voltage drops. But the system is still draining the same amount of watts, and to provide that, the amps needs to go up. Higher apps causes more stress on all internal esc components. Also resulting in more heat.

When releasing the trigger, the power is not needed anymore, however, the batteries are in a 'spit my guts out mode' supplying too much power, which also the esc doesn't like...

That is where the capacitors come in. In high draws, they make sure the voltage drops are less low, so they should be able to give power fast. Also, they cancel out the higher power the battery provides in the form of heat.

That's why I think having more is better then one, since more have a larger surface area to dissipate heat better...

Am I right or just full of bull an#t?

Deluge

bigfol said:
You would use the same caps as the esc is already using and just add maybe 4 or 5 more caps, they are probably around 65 or 75 volt mark. You can buy them, but its pretty easy to make your own. This one I made for my castle XL2 esc. mine is on the left, castles to the right.....

Where did you get the materials for that? Specifically, the board.

BoukeG

BoukeG said:
That's why I think having more is better then one, since more have a larger surface area to dissipate heat better...
I've also just found that having multiple capacitators in parallel divides all (peak) currents to multiple, resulting in a lower ESR. And improve the lifecycle of a capacitator.

G

bigfol said:
You would use the same caps as the esc is already using and just add maybe 4 or 5 more caps, they are probably around 65 or 75 volt mark. You can buy them, but its pretty easy to make your own. This one I made for my castle XL2 esc. mine is on the left, castles to the right.....

Nice Work!

rookie101

Make sure you let us know how it works once you have a chance to try it. I'm waiting for someone to try out the Skyrc Toro HV esc on his site as well. I would love a 8 or 10 cell esc for a reasonable price.

Too bad Hobby-wing doesn't make one yet.

G

Key word is yet. It's only a matter of time.

Deluge

rookie101 said:
Make sure you let us know how it works once you have a chance to try it. I'm waiting for someone to try out the Skyrc Toro HV esc on his site as well. I would love a 8 or 10 cell esc for a reasonable price. Too bad Hobby-wing doesn't make one yet.
I'm sure they'll crank one out, soon.

bigfol

BoukeG said:
Okay, thanks for confirming. I think I know the reason for getting multiple is better then 1. The way I 'see' ripple voltage is (I'm always trying to visualize things): battery 'fills' the capacitor. When pulling the throttle the battery supplies the power, however, since the brushless systems are so powerful, the battery cannot keep up with the amount of power so the voltage drops. But the system is still draining the same amount of watts, and to provide that, the amps needs to go up. Higher apps causes more stress on all internal esc components. Also resulting in more heat.When releasing the trigger, the power is not needed anymore, however, the batteries are in a 'spit my guts out mode' supplying too much power, which also the esc doesn't like...

That is where the capacitors come in. In high draws, they make sure the voltage drops are less low, so they should be able to give power fast. Also, they cancel out the higher power the battery provides in the form of heat.

Am I right or just full of bull an#t?
You sumed it up quite well..... ;)

Kaz the Minotaur

These are the caps I got on Ebay:

picture.php?albumid=2172&pictureid=15914.jpg

I also bought a printed circuit board on Ebay. Cut it to how ever many holes wide your caps are, in my case 4. I found it next to impossible to solder the cap leads to the board. I just bent the leads over on the underside of the board and soldered them together in parallel. I believe I used 10 or 12 guage wire and soldered that only the end of each line of leads.

picture.php?albumid=2172&pictureid=15916.jpg

This is how I mounted it on my XB-E. Solder cap leads as close of the ESC end of the battery leads as possible.

picture.php?albumid=2172&pictureid=15915.jpg

Here is another cap bank that I made for my 6S 150A Leopard / Hobbywing / Ezrun ESC. It has 35V 1000 uF caps.

picture.php?albumid=2172&pictureid=15917.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts